Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Struggling...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 16 Dec 2003 17:14

I'm trying to find some information on my Great Grandmother. I have various bits of middle information but just can't find when she was born and when she died, it's driving me mad!! Her name was Margaret Beadle, she appears on the 1891 census as aged 21, a domestic servant and born in Brockham Surrey. She was married to Alfred William Lambert on 13.04.1895 in Brockham, Surrey. I've tried various seplling of both Margaret and Beadle to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated! PS - I'm at work and my boss is off sick and I have spent the whole day on this!

nic87

nic87 Report 16 Dec 2003 17:23

Is this her on the 1881 census?: George Beadle H M male 34 Betchworth surrey lab lime works Jane W M female 30 Leigh surrey Margaret D 10 Betchworth George S 8 " Jonathon S 6 " John Stweart boarder 4mths Middlesex 5 Peters Cottage, betchworth, Surrey

nic87

nic87 Report 16 Dec 2003 17:25

Is this her christening: Margaret Beadle 26th June 1870, Betchworth Surrey Father George, mother Jane Good Luck Nicola

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 16 Dec 2003 17:27

Possibly!!!! I do know from her marriage certificate her father was George Beadle. Although I don't know anymore about the family. It certainly looks promising though. Thank you :0)

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 16 Dec 2003 17:29

Ian and Nicola, Can you tell me how you found this information? Or how I can get this sort of thing for myself please? Naomi

Vivienne

Vivienne Report 16 Dec 2003 18:16

Naomi IGI records show that she was christened 26th June 1870. The surname was spelt BEDALE parents = George Bedale and mother Jane. IGI Batch C067941 Source call no. 0307757. The 1881 census is free: familysearch.org Good luck Viv oops sorry, Looks like I have duplicated Nicola!

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 17 Dec 2003 14:38

Thanks for your help Ian, Nicola & Viv. Had a thought though, how can you have a boarder age 4 months? Could the parents have gone to work somewhere and left the child with them or possibly died and they took the child on? Any ideas on possibilities? Naomi

Kim

Kim Report 17 Dec 2003 15:01

could be an illegitamate child a 'aunt ' was looking after for a fee and the mother was in service somewhere..........KIM

Stan

Stan Report 18 Dec 2003 12:25

Hi Naomi Betchworth and Brockham are abouy a mile apart, just east of Dorking. I've found several instances where people who maybe lived between two villages named a different one on different censuses, so there is nothing unusual in the discrepancy. Best wishes Stan