Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice re online PRO catalogue searches please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 23 Dec 2003 17:01

After reading various posts here about people who had typed their rellies' names into the PRO catalogue search and come up with all sorts of information, I tried this for all permutations of my gt-grandfather's name. I know he was a Band Sergeant in the 1st Royal Dragoons in the late 1880s, so the PRO ought to have have his army file/discharge papers, he ought to appear in muster lists etc. . However, there was no entry that could remotely be connected with him. Is this because the Regimental Records simply aren't indexed at this level of detail, or could it be that his time in the Dragoons coincides with a gap in the records?

Grahame

Grahame Report 23 Dec 2003 17:40

It may be that these records are not online. I have several ancestors inm both the army and the navy and so far I have failed to discover anything about them on line. I afraid it will mean actually going to the records office and manually searching. Bah Humbug! :-s Grahame

Gillian

Gillian Report 23 Dec 2003 17:51

Thanks. I wasn't expecting to find the actual records online, but I was hoping that the catalogue search would at least confirm they were there, and pinpoint which volumes I needed to order when I go to Kew. . .

Grahame

Grahame Report 23 Dec 2003 20:36

Gillian, I am sure they will do in the future. But the wheels of Government Departments turn very slow.......... unless there is a profit involved.