Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how good it feels

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gary

Gary Report 26 Dec 2003 21:43

having now gone as far as i can on my tree, i decided to offer my services to a local look up website(derbyshire), but can only offer my 1891 census as my1861 disc is not allowed(archive cd books,dont allow,after i exposed this on this site somebody was trying to give away 10 free cds from archive cds,for people who were helping find people on this site i noticed no one replyed to the thread). good any way had my first look up and they were basing there info from the lds 1881 site, but 10 years on had found a 30 year old daughter, now widowed and back home with a son, they did not know about, i found births/deaths/marriages they did not know about and were so gratefull, its a good feeling when you find a gem of information for someone. no thanks to some companys that do not allow things like that

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 26 Dec 2003 22:16

It is thrilling to find people, whoever they belong to, isn't it? By the way, I've never heard of a company doing anything about lookups. The info is free at the records office, there's no way they can prove you got it from their products and not the PRO.

Gary

Gary Report 27 Dec 2003 01:01

when i aplyed to the webmaster of my local site (derbyshire) to offer look ups for 1861/ 1891, she emailed me back and said if your info comes from a archive cd ,the owner rod neep had told her she could not advertise look ups using his products. so like i say when sue bishop was trying to give 10 free cds away to people that were helping people to find info, i thought a bit late and nobbody replyed whilst i monitered her thread, i wont buy another disc from them again

S

S Report 27 Dec 2003 04:50

Gary, It wasn't ME who was trying to give away Archive CD discs!!! (so no need to have a go at me!) It was Archive CD Books who have offered to give them away. I took that straight from their mailing list. I was merely letting people know about it, in case your name was on the list and you wanted to claim your disc, but don't think I'll bother doing that sort of thing again if that's the reaction I get. Archive CD Books do not forbid lookups, but they don't allow people to offer global lookups (and you have to agree to that when you buy anything from them). So if somebody puts a message on a board that they're looking for a person on a census, there is no problem with you replying. That's my understanding anyway. Sue

Carol

Carol Report 27 Dec 2003 09:22

Sue, I saw the thread about this. I dont remember your actual wording, but if you mentioned a particular website, gc would truncate this, and make the meaning seem a lot different to what it is meant. I know what I mean, and I am sure someone else could explain it a lot better.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 27 Dec 2003 17:31

Carol I think GCs intention was to stop people posting email addresses - so it deletes everything before the d o t c o m and anything with the 'at' sign in it. Quite a few of the sites we mention are in the 'resources' section anyway.

S

S Report 27 Dec 2003 22:51

Carol, I know exactly what you mean ~lol~ and I know about GC truncating web addies. However, I've looked back at my original message and for some reason I don't really understand all the URLs are intact (including the ones ending with the dreaded letter combinations...maybe because it was a cut and paste jobbie!). I'm afraid I'm so P*ssed off at the moment about being cast in the role of a baddy I've decided to abandon this site and will not be renewing my membership......but thanks for trying to support me! So much for trying to help people... Sue

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 28 Dec 2003 08:43

Sue, Dont abandon GC just because someone 'misinterpreted' your original ,well intended message. I know that you're intentions were good,,,its just that some people read things the wrong way. Claire