Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census CDs - where to get them???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 27 Dec 2003 13:53

Can anyone advise me as to where I can buy copies of census returns pre-1901? Thanks, Diane.

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Dec 2003 14:05

I too would be interested in a reply to this. Does anyone think they really help though?

Mary

Mary Report 27 Dec 2003 14:30

www(.)BritishDataArchive(.)com WWW(.)thegenealogist(.)co(.)uk www(.)stepping-stones(.)co(.)uk Census forms are sometimes the first indication of where your family are and give details of Head of HOuse, wife,children, where born and ages. First look at The Church of the latterday saints site which is on the resource centre on this site. this has 1881 census free to view. Mary

Alison

Alison Report 27 Dec 2003 15:17

You can also try the family history society's for different counties. i know that Bucks has fantastic name search CDROMs for 1851 and 1891 and it won't be long now until they complete the 1861 one!

Linda from Murton

Linda from Murton Report 27 Dec 2003 15:47

I have just received for Christmas (thanks to my prompting to hubby) the 1861 Census on CDs for Devon and County Durham. These were purchased from www(.)archivecdbooks(.)org They were a little expensive but worth every penny. The reproduction is excellent. I also have the 1851 Census for Devon, Norfolk and Warwick (with search facility) and the 1881 British Census (also with search facility). These were purchased from the Church of the Latter Day Saints web site www(.)lds(.)org(.)uk(/)genealogy(/)ordering.html Dont forget to remove the backets when you type in these addresses. I have had the LDS Census information for about a year now and they have proved their weight in gold. Census material is an integral part of family history research. Happy Hunting.

Diane

Diane Report 10 Jan 2004 17:25

I would certainly back up Archive CDs Excellent quality and compared to some sources very good value for money. Diane