Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

boys college windemere, u.k

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 28 Dec 2003 23:27

Through rather vague family recall it turns out my great great, grandfather was a tutor at the above school, and he married (or ran off with first) the young matron, does anyone know if the college is still going or knocked down or moved etc etc ...... I would love to know if anyone has any info, however vague ........ for aged grandparent who is intrigued by story and wonders about history there. We are talking between 1855 and 1874 many thanks KIM

Paul

Paul Report 29 Dec 2003 00:07

Have you tried a search on the sister site, Friends Reunited? It could be worth a try. Paul

Kim

Kim Report 29 Dec 2003 14:37

Hi Paul, not sure about that because don't know if they would go backthat far and not sure of name of the college ,worth a try though......Kim

Gillian

Gillian Report 29 Dec 2003 16:01

If gt-gt grandfather (& matron) lived in at the college, they - & other staff and boarders - would presumably be listed there for the 1871 census. Also, old trade directories (which should be available at the county record office) would probably list schools etc. (Windermere use to be Westmoreland but is now Cumbria). Finally, there seem to be a lot of hotels in Windermere whose address is "College Road" - maybe the school(s) have now been turned into hotels!

Kim

Kim Report 29 Dec 2003 16:37

Thankyou Gillian for your reply. Yes I suppose 1871 census is good place to start, and I guess the hotels could once have been schools, is 1871 census available online? KIM

Gillian

Gillian Report 29 Dec 2003 18:38

Not as far as I know - it means a trip to the FRC/county record office or asking if there's a nice person on the Boards who's got the Westmoreland 1871 census on disc & can do a search for you (on the "Record Office" Board). Gill