Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What should you do when you find an error in the G

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Dec 2003 08:02

see below

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Dec 2003 08:02

Over the weekend I have found two errors on the index images on 1837online. It is not a fault with the image, so not something on which to report an image fault. The problem is with the original index. I have found two errors where the code is incorrect. Burton is 6b but I have found it listed as 9b. If I sent for this certificate as 9b I doubt if they would send it and I would lose part of my money. 9b is Yorkshire I think not Staffordshire.FreeBMD would also be incorrect I presume as that is a transcription of the original. Does anyone know if they is a way of reporting this, and would anything be done about it. If I have found these two than there must be many more. Margaret

Christina

Christina Report 29 Dec 2003 12:02

I think you should contact the 1837 online website itself and tell them the problem, as with all transcriptions there can be a typing error or the name can be misread. It is only by advising these people that the error will be picked up and rectified. Regards Christina

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Dec 2003 15:36

Christina The 1837 online site isn't transcriptions. It is scanned images of the original indexes that are on the microfiche at libraries etc. This error may also be on the original indexes at the Family Record Centre and at the GRO. I don't know as I have never been there. What I mean is, if I had sent for those certs, which code do I put? 9b or 6b. 9b is on the index and 6b is the correct one. And, should I report the error and who to? The GRO? Margaret

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Dec 2003 16:17

Margaret Why not phone the GRO and ask them what you should do? I have found them helpful when I have phoned. Ann Glos

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 29 Dec 2003 18:13

The codes from about 1851 were as you say 6b for Staffs and 9B West Riding Yorks. If you put 9b then they will go to the Yorks volumes. Is the index typed or handwritten? I would imagine in those days it would be easy to mistype and very tempting to leave it for you to discover many years later. ( Did they have Tipex?) As for correction I know they have accessed the originals to get copies where pages are unreadable on the scans. If the index clearly points to the wrong volume surely they would have to correct the original (?) A can of worms perhaps. Bob

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 29 Dec 2003 18:50

I would tell them, it would then be up to the GRO to decide what to do. This can't be the first time a mistake like this has cropped up. If you want to order the certificate, perhaps you could ring them and explain. As it's not your fault I don't see why you should pay for two searches to be carried out.

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Dec 2003 19:28

Thank you all for your input. I had no intention of sending for the certs, I was looking for a cousin. I just wondered what would have happened if I hadn't have know that Burton was 6b. I may ring them. Margaret

Paul

Paul Report 29 Dec 2003 19:38

Margaret, Are you saying the Original BMD on the St Catherine's Index is wrong? If so, then they will never correct it. It will be left as it is forever, because that's the original index. PB

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Dec 2003 21:31

Paul Yes, I believe I am saying that the original index is wrong. The images on 1837 are a scanned copy of the St Catherines House registers aren't they? I was double checking my aunts marriage, she was married in Burton on Trent, I have seen the parish register. I wanted to check the grooms order of names. If he was Sydney Francis or Francis Sydney. The volume was given as 9b Burton. But, Burton is 6b. The same code was given for bride and groom. I then looked at another record and found the same problem. Are you saying that nothing can be done about it? What would have happened if I had ordered the cert, not knowing the code was wrong? Would I have received it, or would I have lost half my money? This has serious issues to discuss (I haven't worded that right but you know what I mean) These certs are expensive enough without us being charged for an error that is not our fault. If you want to check it out, it is Sept Qtr 1947, marriages. NEWEY, Winifred E. Page 1 of the 4. It says 9b Burton. Margaret

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 30 Dec 2003 16:12

Margaret I have just sent an E. Mail to [email protected], as I have a problem where, I was told my father was a twin, and they have entered the image in writing at the bottom of the page.So it must have been missed off in the first place, therfor missing the twin also. So will wait and see if they get back... That is the online address, if you want to sort yours out also, It should be put right.as you say... Joan

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Dec 2003 16:27

Linda That's a interesting idea, but I have never seen anything about district numbers changing over the years. I know they changed from roman numerals in the 1850's (I think). Genuki and FreeBMD list the districts and numbers that go with them. It isn't as if it's to do with county boundary changes as Staffordshire (6b) and Yorkshire (9b) are hardly next to each other. Perhaps whoever was compiling the index had the page upside down ( 6 and 9). :.) I don't have many credits left on 1837, so won't be looking for any more errors in the same time span. Again, thank you all for you ideas and comments. I think whenever I order a cert, I will check the code with the area if I don't already know it, and if it differs ring the GRO. I can't see them changing the original indexes. It would cost loads in replacement microfiche for a start. Margaret

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 30 Dec 2003 17:52

Guess what I have just found ! Margaret! (Just in the last 10 minuets I didn’t know myself) its on the family records website question one! Q. If errors are found in the GRO indexes are they corrected? A. Yes they are, but it can be a lengthy process, as the error has to be checked and then both the Master and FRC copies corrected. Q. Are the GRO indexes going to be re-indexed in the future? A. No, due to the impact of the Registration Review there are no plans to amend the indexes. Q. Why are records at the Register Offices more complete than GRO? A. Register offices send copies of registrations to GRO and the indexes are formulated from these. If there are errors/omissions in the entries and they are identified then GRO will correct them. The link is http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/frc/news_events/summer2003_23.htm Bob