Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 29 Dec 2003 12:52

Hi everyone, Does anybody know if I can access divorce records for sometime in the 1940's. After spending months looking for the marriage of my great-grandparents in the 1920's and spending a lot of time at that great brick wall I decided to bite the bullet and order the certificate that matched my great-grandfathers details but not my great-grandmother. When it arrived all the details for my grandfather were accurate but not my grandmother. After getting a splitting headache (thinking doesn't do me much good!!) I gave up but mentioned it to my mum over Christmas dinner, who then said "Haven't I told you that the person you think is your great-grandmother is actually your STEP great-grandmother!" (Hadn't actually liked the old woman anyway so it came as a great relief to find out there was no blood between us) It turns out that I had been looking for the wrong woman all along but by some miracle had the right certificate! Too cut a long story short, am I able to find the divorce papers to find out why my great-grandparents divorced? Thanks in anticipation! Sam Smith

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 29 Dec 2003 13:49

Hi, There is a closure of 75 years on divorce papers. I believe they are held at Kew. Have a look at their website - there are a lot of useful leaflets you can download. www.pro.gov.uk Gwynne

Samantha

Samantha Report 29 Dec 2003 14:07

Thanks Gwynne

Samantha

Samantha Report 30 Dec 2003 12:07

Hi Amanda, If only i was that lucky, unfortunately I have found them on the marriage register. Families, who'd have 'em! Sam

Samantha

Samantha Report 31 Dec 2003 15:26

Thanks Amanda Happy New Year to you all. Sam