Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Born in New York - Help Needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 1 Jan 2004 09:47

Happy New Year! My husbands great grandmother Sarah J Butler was born in New York (but a British Citizen) in 1861. Her parents were George and Mary Butler. I have been unable to find details of George and Marys passage to America but know that by 1881 they were back in the UK living in York before moving to Derbyshire. (I haven't been able to access 1871 census to see if they were back then). Presumably Sarahs birth must have been registered both in New York when she was born and some sort of paperwork done whenever they returned to the UK. I know I'll probably never know why they were in New York but it intrigues me! Did they emigrate and not like it? Where they there on business? Who Knows? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Sam Smith

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 2 Jan 2004 19:34

Hi Sam. I tried searching two CD's I have. Couldn't find any mention of your family arriving in Boston, between 1821-1850 (not that I would have expected them there). I also have an Immigration/Passenger List for New York from 1820-1850. There are QUITE a few Mary Butlers and 22 George Butlers (although several George's were children). Do you have any idea when they were born? The CD lists name, age, port of departure and date of arrival. If you have an idea of their ages, I will see if there are any that match. Also, do you have any siblings names?

Samantha

Samantha Report 2 Jan 2004 20:40

Hi Lisa. I don't know of any siblings. Mary A Butler was born 1827 in Leicester. George Butler was born 1831 in Derby. Thanks! Sam x

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 2 Jan 2004 22:43

Hi Sam. Nothing close for George. Mary Butler had: age 20, port of departure: Liverpool, ship name: Arabian, port of arrival: New York, arrival date: June 19, 1846 Gave a national archives series no., a microfilm no., and family number. Also found, and in the same style as above: age 20, Liverpool, Patrick Henry, NY, July 31, 1846 age 20, Liverpool, Queen of the West, NY, April 12, 1847 age 20, Liverpool, Equator, Aug 16, 1850 age 21, Liverpool, Jane, Aug 5, 1847 age 21, Liverpool, Ivanhoe, March 12, 1849 There were several other Mary Butlers around the same time, but their country of origin was Ireland. If you would like any of the numbers (microfilm, etc.), please let me know. Sorry that I only have 1820-1850. Since I didn't find George, I wonder if they could have arrived after 1850.

Samantha

Samantha Report 3 Jan 2004 09:02

Thankyou for trying Lisa.