Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LDS Centres

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 1 Jan 2004 17:28

A thread just now discussed going to a LDS centre and asking them to get the parish records for a particular area. Are their records exactly the same as the net ones available under the Genealogy section? I find there are so many gaps that it is rare to get a direct line for one particular section of a family, so I trotted off to the local record centre (County) to check and fill in the gaps, but found that where LDS had a gap it was because the records at the county centre were in such a bad state that I couldn't read them there either. Are there more records available at the LDS centres?

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 1 Jan 2004 18:34

Hi, A list of everything the LDS had filmed is available in their cataloge on the familysearch website. Gwynne

Helen

Helen Report 1 Jan 2004 19:27

I believe the records are the same but the films often carry more information than was recorded on the IGI records. This could be info like ages at marriage, parents names, etc.

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 1 Jan 2004 20:08

if an original church register is in bad nick, the alternatives are -- the bishop's transcripts, which were copies of the registers written out yearly and sent to the bishop's registrar -- an antiquarian or genealogist might have transcribed the register decades ago when it was in better condition. Some of these copies are published, a lot more exist as typewritten or handwritten documents. The National Index of Parish Registers is the best listing of what exists The LDS films and uses all types of sources. Sometimes if they used the original register for IGI they may also have the BTs on film. The catalogue tells you what they've got (use the Place Search)

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 1 Jan 2004 21:58

Thanks everyone for those pointers. Just had a quick look at the LDS site. I obviously haven't used a fraction of it!