Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

keeping information

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 1 Jan 2004 19:24

please can someone tell me which is the best computer program to store information, i am new to this and dont want to invest in a program which others have found to be of no use, there seems to be a differnce in price ranges and i have been told the expensive ones are not always the best regards Ian Bulled

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 1 Jan 2004 19:29

hi ian i use family tree maker version 10.i find it brilliant. all you have to do is enter your rellies you can even add photos.and print trees and family group sheets. susie

Helen

Helen Report 1 Jan 2004 19:31

Might be an idea to try the freebies first and see how you get on with those. I use the one downloaded from the LDS familysearch site and it does all I need. Someone else may be able to suggest others. Some of the more expensive ones print out wonderful charts and things like that but for newbies with fairly small trees a basic one is all you need. Save your money for ordering all those certificates you will want!!!!

Ian

Ian Report 1 Jan 2004 19:33

thanks susue and helen i will have a look a both suggestions

Jay

Jay Report 1 Jan 2004 19:36

I agree with everything Helen says, try PAF from Latter Day Saints site. It works well. regards JAYNE

Ian

Ian Report 1 Jan 2004 19:40

thanks jayne, can you tell me the site address

John

John Report 1 Jan 2004 21:44

Ian I also use Family Tree Maker although I have a few other free programs too to compare. I like the format. It's easy to use and the print out and options are good. However, it comes with a load of CDs most of which are not really of much use unless you have relatives in the USA. John

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 1 Jan 2004 21:53

Ian, the LDS site is familysearch(.)org. I hate my current family tree software but can't afford to buy another CD. Plus I tremble at the thought of re-entering all the information. Mine looks ugly, it only lets you enter a marriage for one partner, there's no space for certificate references and it has fits when you try to add people. If you find you don't like the first package you find, for God's sake change it before it's too late!

Jackie

Jackie Report 1 Jan 2004 22:19

Hello Ian I use Roots Magic which I find easy to use, instantly can access any part of my tree, shows relationships, gives narrative reports as well as the usual relationships charts and pedigree charts. Simple to edit or delete errors and can immediately search the net on it. Got a free download which I trialed first from Roots Web. Used to use Family Tree which I found utterly confusing once my tree grew and names duplicated themselves. It also had its limitations in printing out. Good luck and have fun exploring all the different free downloads you can get off the web. Jackie

Sandra

Sandra Report 2 Jan 2004 03:22

Hello Ian, Legacy Family Tree software is my personal preference. You can download the free version from their website. It can be upgraded for a small amount of money to their deluxe version but in 2 years I have not found it necessary to do it. They have lots of updates to maintain your program at no cost. I find it easy to use and has ability to display pictures, several ways of displaying your tree on a website and many other features. You can ask for help quite easily as well if you have a problem. Guess you have lots of programs to chose from now that might suit your needs. Take your time in chosing. Sandra in Ontario, Canada

Kate

Kate Report 2 Jan 2004 03:52

Hi Ian After trying a couple of others i treated myself to Family Tree Maker V.11 (without all the CD's) from TWR...and i love it. Take your time in deciding,,,and good luck !! Kate

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 2 Jan 2004 06:27

I also use Family Tree Maker. I purchased the most expensive package because it included a Canadian CD. Turns out it is simply an index so in order to find out my families' information, I have to purchase additional CD's (didn't tell me that on the package). I really do like the software, but I could have purchased the least expensive package and been just as happy.

John

John Report 2 Jan 2004 07:42

I bought "Family Historian" from Amazon just before Christmas. It does what I want it to! It took me a few months to decide what software to buy.

Melba64

Melba64 Report 2 Jan 2004 11:26

I use the freebie from the LDS site. It suits me fine for the moment and I have recently added some photo's to my tree. Mel.

Janet

Janet Report 2 Jan 2004 13:49

I agree with Mel. I use the one from the LDS site too, and find it does everything I want it to, including adding photographs. I also like the Relationship Calculator - so easy to work out the relationships between yourself and others on the tree. If you did decide to treat yourself to another package later on, you can always create a gedcom file and import it into your new package - so you will save yourself having to re-input all your information. Good Luck - whatever you choose to do. Janet PS I always keep paper copies of everything too - in two A4 Archlever files - just in case!