Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What happened to her?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Jan 2004 14:53

I have a John Brandon married to a Sarah Jane Collier in 1886. They and their family are on 1891 census with her as Jane but on 1901 census I have John Brandon and kids living with his Brother in Law, Robert Collier. I cannot find a death anywhere for either Sarah Jane, Sarah or Jane Brandon....what do you think happened to her? Where to look next?

Michele

Michele Report 2 Jan 2004 15:01

Hi Does it show the husband as a widower on the 1901 census? Michele

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Jan 2004 15:03

No it shows him as married, but I can't believe that if they got divorced that he and the kids would go live with her brother???

Michele

Michele Report 2 Jan 2004 15:07

Maybe she was in hospital or visiting relatives? Where are they based? could she have been in Scotland or Ireland with family? Michele

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Jan 2004 15:15

The whole Brandon line so far have been in Chesham, Bucks. I've gone back as far as my g-g-g-g-grandfather and not once has anyone been out of Chesham. I suppose it's possible she was visiting but wouldn't it show up on the 1901 anyway?

Michele

Michele Report 2 Jan 2004 15:23

Hi Caroline There are people who have been missed off the census for whatever reason or more likely her name or age was written/transcribed wrongly/page illegible wherever she was that day/night. I know it is extremely frustrating, I am missing one of my Coventry's and would love to know where he was in 1901. Have you checked other family members in the area for visitor's that could be her? What sort of age is she? Good luck. michele

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Jan 2004 15:36

Frustrating isn't the word! LOL She would be approx. 32 in 1901. I've also found out that they had a daughter, Emma, who was 4 on the 1891 but again no record of her on 1901 or of a death. I've also tried various spellings etc. How on earth do you all get so far without pulling your hair out??

Michele

Michele Report 2 Jan 2004 15:48

Hair? What hair? lol I'll keep looking for you too.

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Jan 2004 16:00

LOL.....so glad I'm not the only bald one on this site! LOL Thanks for your help!

Paul

Paul Report 2 Jan 2004 16:26

What age was given on the 1891 Census? I have found a John and Sarah on the 1901 Decoder, John born in Chesham, Sarah born in Chorleywood, Herts. John is 49, Sarah is 50. Paul

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Jan 2004 17:29

Thanks but she was 22 on the 1891. I even checked to see if she re-married but no luck yet!

Janet

Janet Report 2 Jan 2004 19:38

She certainly could have been visiting relatives or friends at the time of the 1901 census. Have you looked for a death cert. after 1901?.