Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

the name JAS.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 3 Jan 2004 00:01

Can a kind person enlighten me as to what this name is short for on th 1881 census , I thought of Jason but is that really what it would be shortened to? Seems quite short already to me ...........Kim

Stephen

Stephen Report 3 Jan 2004 00:02

James

Annie

Annie Report 3 Jan 2004 00:02

Could be James xx A xx

Maggie

Maggie Report 3 Jan 2004 00:04

James - My Great Grandad was Jas on the census but James on birth certificate. Maggie

Judy

Judy Report 3 Jan 2004 00:05

I've had JAS on documents and censuses for James in my tree. Judy

Kim

Kim Report 3 Jan 2004 00:08

I really would never have thought of James as I would have expected Jim or Jamie , so thanks for helping me ! KIM

Stan

Stan Report 3 Jan 2004 01:08

Parish Clerk's abbreviations can seem quite odd until you get used to them. Jas is standard for James, and Geo for George, but how about Jno for John? Stan

Judy

Judy Report 3 Jan 2004 01:50

Stan, yes on JNO being John....one of many in my tree that I've come across that way. Judy

Stephen

Stephen Report 3 Jan 2004 09:27

Benj Benjamin Chart Charlotte Chas Charles Danl Daniel Elizth Elizabeth Edw Edward Fras Francis Fredk Frederick Geo George Harrt Harriet Hy Henry Iac Isaac Jas James Jno John Jos Joseph My Mary Patk Patrick Richd Richard Robt Robert Saml Samuel Thos Thomas Wm William

Linda

Linda Report 3 Jan 2004 19:58

Thanks Kim for asking this question. I'd assumed that it was short for Jason, but now knowing that it is really James fits him into my tree.... Hurrah!!!