Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

War Deaths Registrations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 3 Jan 2004 22:21

I'm fairly new to this, so forgive me if I am asking a dumb question!! If I want to track down a death dertificate for a man who died in WWII, how and where is this likely to be registered? I have the date of death from the Wargraves commission site, but I would like to order the death certificate. Should I be able to track this down on the index pages on 1837online? If so, is it likely to have been registered some time after the date of death? Thanks in advance.

Keith

Keith Report 3 Jan 2004 23:04

Hello. Yes, deaths are registered through the normal system, but they are quite likely to be a long way behind the event. Keep looking, its well worth the effort when you get it. Good luck. Keith

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 3 Jan 2004 23:06

Thanks for that Keith - one further question, what district would they be registered in? would it be the deceased person's birth district, or home, or what?

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 4 Jan 2004 11:11

At the FRC there are separate index books for Services/War/Overseas deaths - there is no info about this on the 1837 site. The Services indexes show the deceased's name, service no and regiment, then give the reference number for ordering. This means that they are set out in a completely different way from the rest of the indexes. Perhaps Keith or someone else can advise further about how these indexes can be found on 1837. Maz. XX

Keith

Keith Report 5 Jan 2004 22:30

Hello Rebecca and Maz. Apologies for my semi correct answer. Maz is perfectly correct in that there are registrations in the FRC under special arrangements to do with the notification of the death. Specifically the Army War Records of Deaths 1914-1921 is accepted as evidence of death with the same weight as if the death had been notified to a Registrar. Deaths are therefore registered "as normal" but are not as far as I know on 1837, my answer which implied that they were was wrong, "sorry'" I answered the first part of the question only. Regards Keith

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 5 Jan 2004 22:43

Thanks for that Keith, this has cropped up a few times before and its a pain that the site doesn't seem to be 'complete' as a result. Rebecca, I have e-mailed you direct. Maz. XX