Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Trees Suitable for Website

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jenny

Jenny Report 5 Jan 2004 07:53

I've mastered the GEDCOM file bit thanks to respondents from GC. Now my next problem. I want to convert my GEDCOMS into family trees I can put on my website. I used a freeware programme called GEDHTree for the first time yesterday (www.gedhtree.com) which is very good but the problem is my tree splits off into two different family branches and I want to show this. GEDHTree seems to default to creating the tree from the youngest person in the tree which happens to be the youngest person in the other branch. Has anyone got to grips with GEDHTree successfully or has anyone found a better solution to putting trees on the web? Any advice gratefully accepted. Jenny

Judy

Judy Report 6 Jan 2004 07:13

Jenny: I used a program called Genopro which is free at www(.)genopro(.)com. The program has a lot of good features and is compatible with Family Tree Maker....meaning I entered the information into the Genopro program and I am able to open the tree with Family Tree Maker as well. Both have features I like for different reasons (format, reports, data, pictures, etc....) One of my favorite features with Genopro was the fact that with a push of a button I was able to turn the tree into an HTML format. I'm not sure if you're familiar with HTML but the easiest way I can explain it is it put the tree into a website format....it looks and acts like a website with links to click on to view information on individuals and families.....data, history, pictures, whatever you want can be added..... this format made it easy for our family webmaster to post to our family website and easily navigated by visitors. If you're interested in viewing how it looks you can check it out at my family website: www(.)coskey(.)net. You'll have to e-mail me though, for the password for the genealogy section of the site as we have it password protected to protect the privacey of the living. Judy