Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is your family tree printable?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 5 Jan 2004 18:25

Help, I am new to this. Once you've started setting up your family tree, is it possible to see all branches in a printable form, in order to show other relatives who can perhaps fill in some blanks? .......I'm not that hot on the tech side either!! do I need to be exporting the info saved on the Genes site to another family tree package to print it then?

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 5 Jan 2004 18:45

It is possible, but it depends what software you use, some are easier and clearer than others. What one do you use?

Stephen

Stephen Report 5 Jan 2004 21:52

Kathryn, Not great on the tech front either. Do I need to be exporting the info saved on the Genes tree to another software package then?

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 5 Jan 2004 21:59

Stephen you can't export from Gc only to it Shelli

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 5 Jan 2004 22:18

Do you have your information stored anywhere else? You can print your tree from GC (so I'm told, I've never tried it), but there are family tree CDs that can do it better. Some are free to download, others are given away with Family Tree magazines. I have Compton's Family Tree version 2 - it's really old and I can print my whole tree (even if it does look a bit pants). If my ancient programme can do it, then any of the newer ones will. Of course, if you have a spare roll of wallpaper, a biro and six hours spare, you could get in touch with your artistic side. :)

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 5 Jan 2004 22:47

Stephen, if you go to the left of your screen and click on Resource Centre, then Useful Links then Church of the Latter Day Saints, you can download FREE a Personal Ancestry File (PAF). You will have to re-enter your family tree on to it manually, but you will be able to print it in various formats. Good Luck! Dierdre X

BrianW

BrianW Report 5 Jan 2004 23:31

It is not a good idea only to have your tree on GC. I use PAF from the LDS site and find it covers what I need. Add entries to your local program and copy manually to GC for others to see. PLEASE do not upload gedcom files to GC, half the information will be missing and it makes it next to useless for others to form links.

Jenny

Jenny Report 6 Jan 2004 13:05

Hi Stephen I had a problem with this too in that I started out putting all my data on Genes Connected. Last time I asked their technical people there was no facility for downloading the info you've put on GC into a GEDCOM file which would make it compatible with a lot of other genealogy packages. I ended up having to put all my data on to another package (which I bought quite cheaply and you can get something suitable on the front of a family history mag if you look). Do it sooner rather than later as my tree was quite big and it was quite a task. I think GC might be introducing the facility to download your tree eventually. You certainly can't print the whole thing out easily though and I haven't found a way of not getting all the blurb on the side. Helpfully unhelpful I fear. Jenny