Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Editing Gedcom Files

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jenny

Jenny Report 7 Jan 2004 08:05

Can any Gedcom whizz-kids out there help me? I constructed my family tree on a package called Family Tree Designer and then saved it as a Gedcom File which I then dropped into GedHTree to make trees suitable for a website. Problem is one of my ancestors is effectively fatherless. I went back to Family Tree Designer and checked that I'd entered the person correctly which I had but there seems to be a glitch in the software (admittedly very cheap) that is making this happen. I have a feeling the right thing to do would be to go the Gedcom file itself and edit it (after copying of course). But I haven't a clue which part of the file connects the person to their parents. This particular person is only disconnected from their father and all their other connections are OK. Can anyone advise me? Thanks Jenny.

N

N Report 7 Jan 2004 12:46

You need to check the gedcom file to see if Family Tree designer hes lost the info on export of gedhtree has lost it on import. View the gedcom file and see if the father is there. If Family Tree designer has lost it on export , then try different software. For example you can download PAF from LDS website or Brother's Keeper from another ( use google to find it).

Darren white

Darren white Report 7 Jan 2004 12:53

Hi I Had the same problem with a cheap program i had. I now use family tree maker 10, and then i used cumberland family tree make to create my web pages. You can edit a gedcom file using standard text editor such as wordpad, but you would be better off using a gedcom editor such as genealogyJ. (http:// genj . sourceforge . net/) Its a free download. Darren(nuneaton)

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2004 14:12

Hi Jenny, I know all about the problems you are having which has been experienced by others. I have made countless attempts to load my Gedcom into GC prog. but without success. Every time I get name entries missing, and fathers and partners go missing. The fact that I can successfully import into another family tree program that I have seems strongly to suggest that GenesConnected have not yet perfected their software. One can of course build up the tree manually but that would be bad news for some people. For instance, I know someone who has nearly five thousand on his tree !! I have submitted my problem to GC,and am now waiting for a satisfactory outcome !? Anyway, I will keep you posted. Regards and a Happy new Year. David of Wanstead

Jenny

Jenny Report 8 Jan 2004 18:04

Thanks to everyone who has helped me. I've found out about a brillaint website run by a chap in the USA called Ted Pack. He explains, using the Three Bears story, the way a Gedcom file works. Not as twee as it sounds although I don't know what I think about Goldie Locks marrying Baby Bear. Can't see anything in it for either of them really. If you want to have a look at it go to http://www.tedpack.org/gedwhat.html I am a technical dumbo (as all my emails to this board will no doubt tell you) but I could understand this. His website also gives a good explanation of types of cousin eg: twice removed. I wrote to him after reading the GEDCOM explanation and he was very helpful.