Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death certs for world war 1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sydenham

sydenham Report 10 Jan 2004 16:06

Does anyone know if certs were issued /deaths registered by the family for soldiers killed in action in India 1918. If so what sort of delay might there have been between death and registration? Thanks Jan

Paul

Paul Report 10 Jan 2004 19:34

There was a thread recently which mentioned the fact that 1837online are presently working on military BMD records. From what I have seen here in Northern Ireland, the timespan for the registration of BMD's of military personnel and families ranges from a matter of months to a number of years. Usually though, there is a reference to the date of death. Have you tried looking at the cwgc site? Paul

sydenham

sydenham Report 11 Jan 2004 08:53

Paul -Thanks for the response. I finally found the soldier this week on cwg. They have him listed as G R G Green Somerset Light Infantry but he is Reginald George Green - they have put in an extra G in a vital spot! I was interested in a death cert to see if cause of death ie killed in action was there as the Somerset L I records from the 2nd Battalion don't record whether killed in action or died of natural causes as was possible up in the Kyber Pass. I am visiting Kew next month so I am hoping his records have survived. Jan

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 11 Jan 2004 11:58

There is a separate index book for 'War Deaths 1914-1920 Indian Service'. If you want to order the certificate, let me know full details and I will look it up for you at the FRC - but be patient as could be up to 6 weeks before I go! Maz. XX