Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Checking names of birth parents (help wanted)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patsy

Patsy Report 10 Jan 2004 18:31

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to see a birth record, without having to purchase it? My husband's great-grandfather was illegitimate. He was probably registered under his mother's name (McDonald), but could have been registered under the "reputed" father's name (Mclean). Both are very common names in Scotland (just to make things easier..ha ha!). The other complication is that he was most likely born in Glasgow, but might have been born in Salford, Lancs. And just to make things really simple....I'm in Canada. Suggestions? Come on you brainy people...I know you can help me! Many thanks Patsy

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 10 Jan 2004 18:34

What date are we talking about? If he was born in Scotland, Scotlandspeople website could have the birth entry. It's pay-per-view (min £6 I think). If he was born in England, the only way is parish records or ordering the certificate - difficult if you don't know the name or place!

Patsy

Patsy Report 10 Jan 2004 19:17

Hi Kathryn The time period is 1845-1849 (with his birth most likely being 1846). I checked the Scotlandspeople website, but with it being such a common name (Donald Mcdonald/Mclean) and a parish record, it will cost me a fortune to find him just using credits and then ordering the parish extracts. BMD has given me a couple of things to go on, that's why I wondered if there is any way records can be checked before purchase. Patsy

Paul

Paul Report 10 Jan 2004 20:01

The only way really is for someone here to check for you, and even then it may incur a cost. It depends on the Registrar's Office involved. You would need to be as sure as possiblr of the details before anyone could carry out a check for you. Paul

Patsy

Patsy Report 10 Jan 2004 20:39

That's what I thought it might come to, Paul, and it's a big task I would be asking. I see Scotlandspeople will be adding the 1871, 61 and 51 censuses in the spring of this year, so I think I will have to be patient and see if Donald McDonald/Mclean appears on those. It would hopefully narrow the search as to when he appeared in Scotland, if indeed he was born in Salford and what name his mother was using. Patsy