Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confused by the Church

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosi

Rosi Report 18 Jan 2004 17:27

I have the Marriage Cert for James Benjamin Gibbens and Caroline Gillman, in July 1874,at the Parish Church, St John the Evangelist. Westminster. FreeBMD informs me that a James Benjamin Gibbons married in the Sept. qtr of 1874 in St Geo Han.Sq. - could this be the same place/church/people? I am not too bothered about the spelling of his name it varies from Gibbens/ins/ons - but surely the church should be consistent?

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 18 Jan 2004 17:35

Hi Rosi July is in the Sepr Qtr but Freebmd could be wrong transcribing,did you get the Certificate as a copy from the Registrar's office as they have been known to give out the wrong cert too it happenend to me --sorry. Why don't you query it? Ann,Darlington

Chris

Chris Report 18 Jan 2004 20:00

Hi, On my grandparent's marriage cert 1919 it says where - The Register Office in the District of St George Hanover Square. So I think it is just listing the district only not where they got married. Christine

Rosi

Rosi Report 18 Jan 2004 20:16

Thanks for responding. I didn't realise that St Geo. Han. Sq. was a district, and NOT the name of an actual Church. So it is v. likely that the Cert. I have is the same one as that I can see on FreeBMD. Many thanks to all for sorting that out for me. Now poor James Benjamin died shortly before his son, James was born in 1879. The only death I can find that seems relevant is registered St Saviour - presumably this too is a district, and not an actual church?

Carrie in Godalming

Carrie in Godalming Report 18 Jan 2004 22:29

You are correct St,saviours is district in southwark, majority of my ancestors lived round about there. Gets even more confusing on outskirts of london as some areas were surrey centuries ago! corrina

Rosi

Rosi Report 19 Jan 2004 10:05

Thankyou you peeps - and Susan I have added that site to my favourites. What a helpful crowd GC members are!