Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ONS _ help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 19 Jan 2004 21:28

I dont know if this is the right board to ask this question, I ordered a certificate from the ONS is there any way i can check the progress of this order.

Kim

Kim Report 19 Jan 2004 21:38

There is a phone number on their website, if you ordered on line they are taking about 10 days to process them because of the christmas backlog KIM

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 19 Jan 2004 21:49

Thanks Kim I'll give it a couple more days, as i only ordered it on the 9th jan.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 19 Jan 2004 21:57

I ordered some on 13 jan and was given a dispatch date of 20 jan so hopefull will get them just after, thus making it about the 10 days mentioned before Shelli

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 19 Jan 2004 22:02

Hi Shelli I hope you do get them my dispatch date was the 16th jan

Mary

Mary Report 19 Jan 2004 22:59

Hi there, Why do you all order your certificates on line, why don't you send your request to the Registry Office where the event was registered. It will only take 2 days and if it is not the correct one, then your cheque will be returned in full. It will only have cost you the postage. Mary

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 19 Jan 2004 23:05

MAry i had to order some of mine online as the office that now hold the details won't deal with old certs. So the only way to get them is from ONS, so i just ordered the whole lot from there was easier Shelli

Mary

Mary Report 19 Jan 2004 23:19

Hi Shelli. I have been researching for the last 15 years and have never come across any registry office that will not look for your query. Marriages might be a bit difficult if you do not know both the bride and groom but births and deaths with the quarter and year are never a problem. I think that I would have words with the General Registrar. Mary

Margaret

Margaret Report 19 Jan 2004 23:26

Westminster council will not supply certs. They say they are too busy and always refer people to the ONS. Some times there is no choice. Also, the ones fron ONS are a copy of the original, from the local office they are a transcription. I have found many mistakes in the transcribing in a local reg office. Margaret

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 19 Jan 2004 23:28

MAry just off the top of my head, I need certs from Rotherhithe and Bermondsey, both of which have been transfered to Southwark. If you look at the list on FreeBMD it states that this office does not suply to family historians. Now not believing evrything I read i telephoned them as i was going to near their office and asked and was given the same answer. BUt I do get some certs from another local office like you said only birth and death they refuse to search for marriage even when I have a year and quarter!!!. So I think it depends on the indvidual office MArgaret it does seem to be the London offices that are the worse offenders doesn't it? Shelli

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 19 Jan 2004 23:36

Oh dear, I ordered mine on the 11th and the dispatch date was Friday (5 working days to process the order). I was expecting it today, but no joy. Still, if they posted it early today, it might be here tomorrow.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 19 Jan 2004 23:41

Kathryn so long as i get mine before w/end will be happy, so fingers crossed Shelli

Barbara

Barbara Report 19 Jan 2004 23:42

Thats strange, because only fairly recently I got a certificate from Southwark. They have a facility for ordering online. Only problem was the form did not fill in correctly and they had to email me and ask for it again. I then ended up with two copies of the same certificate. Perhaps they realise their software was flawed so gave up? Ah I have just looked at their site http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Public/Certificates/Births.aspx It says they cannot offer a service for pre 1900 certs. Thats a shame! But there's still a hundred years worth we can go for! Babs

Kim

Kim Report 20 Jan 2004 08:30

MARY, where do you get the address of the local offices from, bearing in mid most of mine are not anywhere near where I live? Is there an on line directory? KIM

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 20 Jan 2004 08:40

On-line list : www(.)fhsc(.)org(.)uk/genuki/reg/ Also : www.genuki(.)org(.)uk/big/eng/RegOffice/

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 20 Jan 2004 09:14

BArbara unfortunatly the one i need are 1850/60's hence the need for ONS, just unlucky I guess Shelli

Kim

Kim Report 20 Jan 2004 10:02

Thankyou, Elizabeth. ...... KIM