Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army Records.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Loraine

Loraine Report 20 Jan 2004 09:30

Can anyone give me any advice on where and how to find army records from the beginning of the 1900's? I am trying to obtain more information on my Great grandfather. If any one knows of any websites etc then I would be very grateful. Thanks Loraine

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 20 Jan 2004 13:22

A visit to your local library might be usefull, ours has lots of books on Fam. Hist. the PRO publish a small book specifically on looking for Military ancestors or look in the resource centre on the home page of this site for links. Sue.

Sinead

Sinead Report 20 Jan 2004 16:27

hi loraine, i have been told that all army records for this period are held at Kew in WO96 and WO97.Have been unable to get there myself but am reliably informed this is where to go! Hope this is of some use!!! Sinead

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 20 Jan 2004 20:36

Sinead is right but if you get this book - Tracing your Ancestors in the Pro by Amanda Bevan ( I should get a royalty for the number of times I recommend this book) it will give you a better idea of what you're looking for and might save you a bit of time if you make a visit to Kew. It's got all the info you need on all their holdings Sue.

Sinead

Sinead Report 21 Jan 2004 16:49

Try this web site-he does research on your behalf and has heaps of useful info on different campaigns and loads of other stuff.Found it today and have spent 2 happy hours on it!! Sinead

Loraine

Loraine Report 21 Jan 2004 22:18

Thanks for all your help. I have found a site that lists details from ww1 and ww2 but think I need to find details from the Boer war.