Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gloucester family History Fair

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Apr 2004 14:59

Gloucester Family History Fair is on Saturday 24 April. It is being held at The Crypt School Eastern Avenue Glos. 10am - 4pm Anybody going? I hope to be there at some time during the day. Ann Glos

Geoff

Geoff Report 21 Apr 2004 15:02

I didn't know about that - I'll probably go. You can't miss me - greying hair, glasses, blue fleece ...

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Apr 2004 15:14

You and about 50 others Geoff!! Me brownish hair 5'3(ish) 60s glasses, probably with hsband in tow. Ann Glos

Smiley

Smiley Report 21 Apr 2004 15:37

I'm ten minutes away from there, (my husband attended Crypt school actually) but I knew to all this, although learning fast ;) What can I hope to see there? Is it open to anyone? I'd like to know more if some kind person would fill me in.... In the nicest possible sense of course!

Geoff

Geoff Report 21 Apr 2004 16:01

Stallholders selling their census CDs, maps, genealogical charts, old postcards. County family history societies trying to get you to join (possibly doing lookups). Bespectacled grey-haired men in blue fleeces trailing around behind their wives. Open to all, probably £2 to get in.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Apr 2004 17:00

Hi Samantha Whereabouts are you in Gloucester? I am at Churchdown. Well worth going - can't remember how much it is to get in but it won't be a lot. It is even worth going if you are not researching in Gloucester because there is so much to learn from stallholders, and lots to see. If you are researching glos, take names, dates and information with you, you never know what help you may get. At the Somerset one I went to someone kindly looked on parish register for me for my husbands Grandfather and we found him. Ann Glos

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Apr 2004 17:02

AAAHH! Have to watch sons in mini-rugby festival - already had to turn down offer of weekend in Dublin. Curses! If anyone is going and is interested in/or meets anyone interested in MALING/MELING/MEALING families of Chedworth-Rendcomb-North Cerney area, please, please, please contact me!

Smiley

Smiley Report 21 Apr 2004 19:16

I'm in Abbeydale Ann :) It does sound interesting, and you jogged my memory by mentioning Glos research, my family are not Gloucester folk, but my husbands are thanks for the info Geoff.

Geoff

Geoff Report 22 Apr 2004 10:55

In fact it's free (and NOT on Eastern Avenue - lost in Gloucester on Saturday morning is not my idea of fun!) http://mysite.freeserve.*com/gfhs/opendays.htm (remove *)

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 22 Apr 2004 11:37

Ann/ Geoff Thanks for details, I didn't know about fair - as I'm a Gloucester girl (living in Wilts) I'm hoping to go as 50% of my tree is from Glos. Thanks again.

Linda

Linda Report 22 Apr 2004 13:21

I shall be going, hopefully, so I'll look out for you all. I'm at Coney Hill, Sam, just up the road from you - in fact (and I hope this doesn't put you off altogether, I'm probably your Vicar.......AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaarggggggghhhhhhh!!!!

Smiley

Smiley Report 22 Apr 2004 15:29

More Tea Vicar;) Crypt school is on Cole avenue, Gloucester.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Apr 2004 15:34

Sorry about that, lived in Gloucester for 12 years but never have got the roads sorted in that area, I just think of the whole A38 as Eatern Ave when it does in fact change names and the crypt is on the corner of Podsmead and Cole ave (I think. As Geof has said, go to the GFHS web site and there are very good directions from all area. Sorry again for misleading you. ann Glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Apr 2004 15:37

How would we recognise you Linda? Will you be in 'uniform'? Ann Glos

Mystified

Mystified Report 22 Apr 2004 17:00

I probably won't be going as I went to the Glamorgan one last Sunday but I hope you all enjoy. (Yellow Rucksack if I do) Can I recommend this site to you (http://members(.)aol.com/aquarterma/familyhistoryfairs(.)html) It gives details of FH fairs but Gloucester is not on as I think it is a different organisation

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 22 Apr 2004 19:18

wish i could go as my ancesters are from warwickshire,but i can't,cos i live on merseyside!!! hope you all find something. chris.

Linda

Linda Report 22 Apr 2004 21:02

Hi Ann! Just look for someone of 'Dibley' proportions!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Apr 2004 21:03

have you seen that there will be representatives therefrom Somerset & Dorset FHS, Dorset FHS Glamorgam FHS, wiltshire FHS, Bristol and Avon FHS and probably others as well as loads of trade stall, postcard stalls etc. I am looking forward to it. Ann Glos

Linda

Linda Report 22 Apr 2004 21:30

Ann, This will be the first Fair for me - I'm really looking forward to it. Are you going to London in May?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Apr 2004 22:19

Linda, Unfortunately no, I tend not to go to London as it is expensive on the train and we don't like driving there. Are you going? Ann Glos