Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Excellent Genes site and its free.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wayne the boy from OZ

Wayne the boy from OZ Report 5 Oct 2004 10:13

You will find it here:- http(:)//www(.)gencircles(.)com/ - remove the brackets. It has an item called smartmatching where it matches your tree against all the other gedcom files and returns the results. It also has a Genes Club with forums from every country. Give it a try and upload your gedcom file. Regards Wayne

squeekydeeky

squeekydeeky Report 5 Oct 2004 12:55

thanks Wayne. Have had a look & found link with someone I'd already been in touch with, but hope for more as the site grows. Can't hurt to have your details on lots of different sites. Helen

Wayne the boy from OZ

Wayne the boy from OZ Report 5 Oct 2004 13:33

Come back in 24 hours and check your smartmatching (if you have uploaded your gedcom file) I was very supprised. Wayne

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 5 Oct 2004 13:43

Hi I've been on there for months but as yet no luck! Still ever hopeful luv Lorr x x x

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 5 Oct 2004 15:53

i dont have a gedcom file to upload on to this site, can you still use it? Claire

John

John Report 5 Oct 2004 15:56

Claire, you've got a GEDCOM file of 174 people! Click on export tree link on the left for help.

Lynne

Lynne Report 5 Oct 2004 16:46

Hi all My tree has been on a few months and I have about five matches. I also found some common ancestors with someone who had put an 'n' instead of an 'r' in the middle of their names. Even though the dates, places and first names matched up the Smartmatch system didn't pick them up. I found them by trawling the site. Lynne

Joan

Joan Report 5 Oct 2004 17:21

Hi Wayne I am new to Genes so was interested when you tols us about this genes site I have registered this pm so can't wait to see what it brings. Having lots of trouble finding my dad's relations. Regards Joan

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 5 Oct 2004 17:47

I just put my tree on. I thought it would be a lot harder than it was. How do you update the tree when you find more people?? Guess I'll find out.

Fairysgodmother

Fairysgodmother Report 5 Oct 2004 18:28

Sorry for sounding dim Wayne but I am confused about GEDCOM still, even after reading your reply to Claire. The only tree I have is on this site, can I transfer it to Gencircles which I have just joined after your suggestion. elaine:))

Debbie

Debbie Report 5 Oct 2004 19:38

Dwaine Seeing as you have that many people in your tree, it is not suprising that you are getting hundreds of smartmatching. I think nearly all my surnames I have you have cause every time I click on a new name, it usualy says contact Dwaine. I suppose you upload your tree back on here quite alot.

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 5 Oct 2004 21:17

John, sorry for sounding so dim. I didnt have a clue what gedcom was at all but i have followed your instructions and ive managed to get my tree pretty simply onto this gencirles site so many thanks for your help. Claire

Fairysgodmother

Fairysgodmother Report 5 Oct 2004 21:23

Thanks Wayne, I've do it. The only thing is I have 183 in tree but on gencircles shows 197. elaine:))

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Oct 2004 22:31

this is going to sound really dumb but if I export my tree to gencircles does that mean it disappears from this site? please dont laugh

Wayne the boy from OZ

Wayne the boy from OZ Report 5 Oct 2004 22:37

Im glad you are all finding and using Gene Circle its a simple site to use and the pages are fast to load not like here. If you get a lot of smartmatching on Gene Circle then the pages will take some time to load. I'm on broadband and some were taking 20 mins or more with over 300 matches to a page. I have sent feedback to Genes Circle outlining the problem - If you encounter the same problem you might like to send feedback as well. Wayne Lawrence

Wayne the boy from OZ

Wayne the boy from OZ Report 5 Oct 2004 22:42

No when you export a file you only export a copy of the file. If you are using this site as your only family tree program then it is a good idea to export a gedcom file to a folder on your PC as a back up file then if Genes Reunited ever have a problem then you have not lost all your work. Wayne Lawrence

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Oct 2004 23:09

thanks very much will do that

Debbie

Debbie Report 5 Oct 2004 23:10

Dwain No, of course it dosnt upset me. I should have worded it a bit better and I'm sorry. I just get all excited thinking wow lots of new names, and then when I click on them it's usualy you again. Honestly It is great that you have so many people, keep it up. Debbie

Wayne the boy from OZ

Wayne the boy from OZ Report 6 Oct 2004 01:43

One of the problems on all the sites is that people up load multipl copies of the same file or their new file has a few small changes but they dont delete the earlier version. This then produces multiple names when you do a matching search. Wayne Lawrence

Wayne the boy from OZ

Wayne the boy from OZ Report 6 Oct 2004 07:31

The file is exported as a gedcom file which can only be read by other Genealogy programs or which can be upoaded to other websites. You wont be able to read it unless you have some genealogy software. You can down load a free Genealogy program from here Its called PAF 5 - http(:)//www(.)familysearch(.)org/ - remove the brackets. Click on Downloads on the topline when you get to the site. Wayne Lawrence