Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Documents Online - What a result!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Natalie

Natalie Report 29 Jan 2005 20:24

See below

Natalie

Natalie Report 29 Jan 2005 20:27

I think I've found the Will of one of my ancestors on Documents Online. It's the right name, location and occupation. Just wondered if the date on the Will is the date the Will was made....or the date it went to Probate (ie. the date he died). Also, has anyone ordered documents like this from Documents Online? How does it work? Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is the first time I've needed to order anything from them. Many thanks! Natalie

Zoe

Zoe Report 29 Jan 2005 20:31

the date is the date of the will being proved. It can be weeks after the death or years if people contested the contents etc. When you buy online you can dowload the file as a pdf. You also get sent an email with a link so that you can download for up to 7 days. Once you have teh download it can be difficult to read as the handwriting takes some getting used to and the terminology can be confusing. (let me know if you're having trouble as I've become fairly adept at it) In my opinion they are invaluable as they often reveal family members and relationships and you can read a lot into who wasnt left anything and why.

Heather

Heather Report 29 Jan 2005 20:33

Yes, Id love to get a few more wills. Only got 2. One showed me that there were three more kids I had not known about. Yes, its easy to do, when you go to the documents online you can download it for £3.50 there and then, brilliant service.

Natalie

Natalie Report 29 Jan 2005 20:40

Hi Heather Thanks for your help. Any ideas what sort of information I would get from the Will? Natalie

Heather

Heather Report 29 Jan 2005 21:17

Well each one will be different. You will learn names of the family that money or property is left too. Addresses of property, and lots of personal information which makes it all real and alive to you. My first one, sister of my GGFx3 (made in 1820) mentioned one of her sister-in-laws being a pauper since her bro had died and the fact she had a son who was blind. It was also obvious that she trusted her daughter more than her son as she left her in charge of the money with instructions to pay the son an allowance rather than the dosh in one go. It also listed the furniture and cutlery she was leaving. Fascinating stuff. Named all her siblings, dead and alive and their wives and second wives in one case and what their occupations were, i.e. "Edward my brother, Farm Bailiff and his wife Mary, John my brother, Gardener of the City of Norwich and his wife Sarah"

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 29 Jan 2005 21:37

I haven't found any of my rellies on there lol Does that mean they didn't leave any, or just that they haven't be uploaded?

Helen

Helen Report 29 Jan 2005 21:51

I think the wills available there are mainly for people in the south of England - the ones covered by the Court of Canterbury - which probably explains why I haven't found anyone there since all my lot are from the north.

Heather

Heather Report 29 Jan 2005 22:19

And they had to be quite well off really. The only ones I got were because the floozy shacked up with a man twice her age and never married him!

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 29 Jan 2005 22:32

That would explain a lot then... my lot are northern through and through... not very adventurous lol

Natalie

Natalie Report 30 Jan 2005 21:28

Thanks for all your help. Think I'll go ahead and order the Will, as it sounds as if it could be quite interesting. I think it's definitely one of my ancesters, just not sure which generation, as they all had the same name! I'll let you know how I get on, as I've never ordered from Documents Online before! Thanks again! Natalie

Heather

Heather Report 30 Jan 2005 21:34

You just download it once youve paid. Shame that that service isnt available for more docs.

Natalie

Natalie Report 30 Jan 2005 21:56

Oh my gosh! Have just processed order....and, as if by magic, the document appeared before me! It's definitely my g.g.g.g Grandfather - and lists all his children (just like you said, Heather!). I can barely read it (might need your help, Zoe!), but it's just incredible! Thank you so much for advising me to go ahead and order it. And, yes, wouldn't it be great if we could conjure up all the other certificates in this way! Thanks again, from a very happy Natalie!

Heather

Heather Report 30 Jan 2005 21:57

I feel excited for you!

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2005 21:57

I've just had a look at the site and couldn't work out what to do! NJo matter which is my surnames I entered it came up with zero results. Does anyone know what years it covers?

Heather

Heather Report 30 Jan 2005 21:58

Up to 1858 I think Lou, though I think I read they had added a few years recently.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2005 22:00

Ah, that's possibly why then. Think mine would all have been post 1860 so far!

Heather

Heather Report 30 Jan 2005 22:04

You have to order them from York, or go to London to trawl yourself. Not so exciting as seeing it in front as you download, is it? Plus you have to know a date and place for the later ones. I suppose we could have a try as my Hansons (bloody nuisances) all had cabinet carving/wood turning businesses so may have made proper wills I suppose.

Patricia

Patricia Report 30 Jan 2005 22:51

Wish I'd have had anyone with enough assets to leave a will!!

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 30 Jan 2005 23:11

Frank, put Documents Online into Google. It holds, amongst other things, PCC wills up to 1858, which you can download. This is only a small fraction of all the wills made in that period, but you can strike lucky. I was amazed to find the will of a Wiltshire labourer ancestor. He had hardly two pennies to rub together, but the will had been signed in pencil, so the witnesses had to swear that it was pukka. Searching the index is free, so it makes sense to take a look. B