Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Don't get killed in the rush looking.......1861 av

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 15 Feb 2005 04:34

...but I was about to search for a birth on 1837 on line. To my surprise, I found a button for 'Search 1861 census' I don't know how much is there, but it works for the bits of London I was looking in.....3 units per search. Peter Auckland NZ

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 15 Feb 2005 05:14

Brilliant, Peter! I just had a look, and found one of mine straight away. Confirmed his birthplace, as he was dead by 1871 and I hadn't seen him on a census until now. So another brickwall crumbles!!! Was waiting for Ancestry to do the 1861 (which is also due this year) ... but stuff waiting, I'll buy a few more creds on 1837 instead (impatient or what?) Richard

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 15 Feb 2005 07:07

bugger........ My 80 units expired yesterday.

Sue

Sue Report 15 Feb 2005 08:08

I found it today too. It's fairly limited, but includes London & Middlesex, and can be searched for people or streets, I think. Bought crdits to do some exploring...! Sue (in NZ)

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 15 Feb 2005 08:16

Does Ancestry have a timeline for the 1861 to be on?? Do you know when they're planning to put the full 1851 up?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Feb 2005 08:34

Brilliant, thanks for the tip. jackie

Martin

Martin Report 15 Feb 2005 08:42

Ancestry don't give out detailed schedules for their rollout. If they did then they would only get complaints about particular counties being late etc. They are saying that they are hoping for early May for 1861. http://boards.ancestry.*co.uk/mbexec/message/5538/topics.ancestry.uk-ire/376 I have not seen any dates for the earlier ones just that

Heather

Heather Report 15 Feb 2005 08:46

And just when I got excited they have locked my account!

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Feb 2005 09:47

Peter FANTASTIC! Thank you for this - I'd completely forgotten I'd bought some units in the pre-Xmas offer and now I have found some of my and my husband's London rellies! Woo hoo! nell

Angela

Angela Report 15 Feb 2005 09:48

I bought my units and instantly found the family I was looking for. I knew I had the right family because they were at the same address in 1871. There were also three transcription errors on it!!! If I had relied on the place of birth I would never have found them. Hope this isn't a bad omen for the rest of it when it comes along.

Heather

Heather Report 15 Feb 2005 09:56

Well, my gast is flabbered! Im still locked out, but thanks to the kindness of Susan, I now see why my GGFx2 apparently married 6 years earlier than I orignally worked out from the kids birth dates - 2 other kids! but where is their mum and brothers? I wish 1837 would hurry up and sort out my account lock out - I simply MUST find where mum and the boys are.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 15 Feb 2005 10:25

the transcription mistakes are terrible !! I found my gt gt grandfather as a laundress !!! It clearly says he is a sweep on the image. (I was worried for a while tho !!! LOL)

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 15 Feb 2005 10:28

I have found a few families to fill in some of my gaps nicely but not the ones I really wnated!! My GGrandfather and his parents seem to have vanished! But lots more names to add to tree! Jacky :-)

Irene

Irene Report 15 Feb 2005 10:29

I have never joined 1837 - how much would it cost to search for a family????? Do you need a lot of info first before you can find the ancestors. Irene

Heather

Heather Report 15 Feb 2005 10:32

What you thought he may like dressing up, Kaz?? Irene, you buy units - £5 for 55. Usually I use it for just looking up b, m, d refs to send off for certs. But they have just added the 1861 census today. I dont know how complete it is yet.

Linda G

Linda G Report 15 Feb 2005 11:01

Just popped in to have a look. Found some new rellies but some old ones for which I have certificates weren't there and they are London. Like the variants option. My Mepham was mis-transcribed as Meopham. Linda

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Feb 2005 11:04

After my initial excitement - and having to buy more units - I've found it a bit hit and miss. Also when you check the image its easy to see that Cobham is Cobham for example and not Cotham - rather daft as it is given as birth place 2 lines down from someone else who is definitely Cobham. nell

Ann

Ann Report 15 Feb 2005 11:47

I think you are right Linda........I tried for leeds/yorkshire but didn't get results..guess we shall have to wait a bit longer! :(

Elaine

Elaine Report 15 Feb 2005 12:11

Hi, Thanks for that info ,I'm off to have a look now who knows maybe I'll knock down that brickwall,or remove a brick at least....Will let you know how I get on, Elaine

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Feb 2005 12:30

Came back to do a bit more after a rest. Typed in Chowns as unusual surname and found Elizabeth - know she is mine because born in Farnham Royal, Bucks - luckily for me she didn't marry so has kept maiden name. Guess what - she is a cook in a household in Baker Street, Marylebone, literally a few minutes' walk from where I used to work!!! nell