Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WORD SEARCH

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 15 Apr 2005 17:45

COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT BOFNE MEANS IT HAS JUST COME UP ON MY GREAT GRANDADS CRNSUS INFORMATIOIT READS MARK LEVY,HEAD,MAR,26 HAIRDRESSER,BRITISH SUBJECT RUSSIA?BOFNE? HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP TRACEY

Steve

Steve Report 15 Apr 2005 17:50

Could be short for something. Like Born Of.... maybe

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 15 Apr 2005 18:00

Tracey Is this from an image or an index? It sounds as if it might be where he was born in Russia.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 15 Apr 2005 18:03

Also, just a thought, if he was born in Russia, with a name like Levy and was a British subject, then presumably there are naturalisation papers somewhere, probably in the National Archives.

Georgette

Georgette Report 15 Apr 2005 18:05

How about 'Born of foreign nationality emigrated'? Helen :-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 8 Jan 2014 10:32

Tracey, your great grandad is my husband's great grandfather also. What looks like Bofne is actually Cofno, which is how the person spelled Kovno - a town in what is now Lithuania but was then Russia. It is now spelled Kaunes. Go figure!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Jan 2014 10:55

Cynthia

If you wish to attempt to contact Tracey, click on her name

She didn't apparently ever return to see the replies posted 8 years ago, so is hardly likely to be looking now

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Jan 2014 15:24

Dragging these truly old threads up where have been no postings for 8 years adding to the post if pretty pointless

As Reggie has said if you find an old thread that interests you and it has not been added to for any length of time, the logical course of action is to PM the original poster.

Gee

Gee Report 8 Jan 2014 17:53

Cynthia is new to this....maybe she can be forgiven for not noticing the date of the first thread

Cynthia, you could start your own thread if you need any help

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Jan 2014 17:58

oh for heaven's sake, that is the one and only post Cynthia has ever made.

She joined genesreunited this very month, probably this very day. She may have googled something about her family that led her to this thread, and then went ahead and paid the membership fee so she could speak to Tracey.

I just googled
mark levy bofne russia
and came up with another thread of Tracey's the same day
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/861288

I saw someone else today who has obviously just done the same thing and I have explained about old threads and private messages without finding it necessary to complain.

I posted in an old thread when I subscribed a few weeks ago. I know about messages boards and dates, and I did it on purpose. It was information that I want to put in the thread whether or not the person who started the thread saw it, because someone else may find it some day and have a way of contacting me about it now (about our DNA project, the reason I subscribed). Not everybody who posts in old threads is a fool. Some of us mean to do it and some of us just need an explanation of things.

Cynthia knows now. That is, if she knows how to find the replies here ...

If she doesn't come back to the thread some kind soul needs to let her know how to find it I guess.

and now if somebody else goes googling for Mark Levy and Bofne in future, they will hopefully find the explanation here!

Gee

Gee Report 8 Jan 2014 19:08

I have sent Cynthia a message, re how to get back here

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 8 Jan 2014 23:21

Oh dear, I am in trouble! Thank you all for your advice. I contacted Tracey, but as no one seemed to have worked out what or where Bofne was, I thought it might be useful to add some information to a very old thread.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Jan 2014 23:27

There you go -- just as I did when I added what I knew (or worked out because I wanted to know) to a not quite as old thread. :-)

We are 'making' history here, after all!