Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find the right Hannah PARRY in Glamorgan?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Apr 2005 09:12

In 1901 Hannah is shown as 34, born Hirwaun, Glamorgan wife of Alfred DAVIES, 38 b. Herefordshire and living in Chapel Street Bettws. At marriage in May 1886 she is 21, a servant, daughter of Edgar PARRY (deceased) a carpenter. There are so many Hannah PARRYs born and too many Hannah DAVIES dying!.................UPDATE...25 May 2006. As today is the 120th anniversary of Hannah's marriage, I thought I'd offer her to the board again.... I now have access to Ancestry but still can't find her origins.

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 20 Apr 2005 10:06

hiya, this may seem silly, but have you tried the census details for 1891???? did they have any children you know about??? regards julie :)

The Bag

The Bag Report 20 Apr 2005 10:13

have tried 1871 census- cant find an Edgar Parry in Glamorgan... 1901- 34 = 1867 +/- 1 will try for Hannah in 1871... Result = They are all born either Anglesea Brecon or Flint...

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Apr 2005 10:37

Thank you both for trying to help. I wonder if Edgar died between c.1865 and 1871? Julie No I haven't found her in 1891. They are shown with children in 1901, son William DAVIES 16 and Daniel DAVIES 6. There were 2 more sons later Edgar and 'Bert'. My mother does not remember Hannah at all although she well remembers visits from 'Uncle Fred' so I think perhaps Hannah had died by about 1914. As she was Hannah DAVIES, I am spoilt for choice!

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 20 Apr 2005 11:11

: PARRY, Hannah Record Type: Marriages Quarter: June Year: 1886 District: Bridgend County: Glamorgan Volume: 11a Page: 819 (click to see others on page) will have a squint around to see what else i can find Julie :)

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 20 Apr 2005 11:18

Name: Davies, Hannah Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 37 Quarter: June Year: 1903 District: Pontypridd County: Glamorgan Mid Glamorgan Volume: 11a Page: 260 (click to see others on page Name: Davies, Hannah Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 40 Quarter: September Year: 1907 District: Llanelly County: Carmarthenshire Glamorgan Volume: 11a Page: 502 (click to see others on page) Name: Davies, Hannah Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 42 Quarter: September Year: 1910 District: Pontypridd County: Glamorgan Mid Glamorgan Volume: 11a Page: 283 (click to see others on page) now these are the only 3 I could find deaths for, whether you send for all 3 and ask for ref checking on fathers name, then you should be able to get some sort of result, I shall recheck my source, just to make sure i've not missed anything Julie :)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Apr 2005 11:34

Julie Thank you for spending your time to help. I am very grateful. I think I'm going to have to take the plunge and order. I don't hold much hope of finding her early story though.

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 20 Apr 2005 11:37

Name: Davies, Hannah Age in 1891: 24 Relation: Wife Gender: Female Where Born: Brec Civil parish: Bettws Ecclesiastical parish: Bettws Town: County: Glamorgan Street address: View image Condition as to marriage: View image Education: View image Employment status: View image Occupation: View image Source information: RG12/4451 Registration district: Bridgend Sub registration district: Ogmore ED, institution, or vessel: 1 Folio: 27 Page: 49 (click to by jove I do believe I've found her on 1891!!!!!! i have saved census image, if you would like a copy of it have also copy of 1901 aswell :)) Julie :)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Apr 2005 11:49

Julie Thank you! I'd love 1891 image please. I have printout of 1901 image. Have sent you a message. UPDATE Just realised that if she was born Brecon, she may be the one Jess noted in 1871. Looking forward to seeing 1891 image now.

Alyson.

Alyson. Report 20 Apr 2005 13:54

Hi Gwyneth. Not sure if you already know but if they were still living in Bettws when they died they would be registered under Bridgend or Sub Districts Bridgend, Cowbridge, Maesteg or Ogmore. I could only find 2 deaths for an Alfred Davies that would near enough match his year of birth but neither are in Bridgend district. June 1903 Pontypridd age 41 June 1917 Merthyr Tydfil age 53 If Hannah was born in Hirwaun her birth would probably have been registered either in Merthyr Tydfil or Pontypridd. Good Luck Alyson

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Apr 2005 14:11

Thank you for that Alyson. I think Alfred lived for some years after Hannah died and I believe he lived in Pontycymmer. Could do with 1911 census really to narrow the years to search. As if JONES wasn't enough, now I've got to sort out the DAVIESs.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Apr 2005 08:32

Lo and behold. As if I haven't got enough to confuse this search, - In 1891 Hannah's birthplace is shown as Breconshire.She is age 24 (so b. c.1866) Is anyone able to look for her in 1871 census please, using Breconshire, rather than the b.Glamorgan information?

The Bag

The Bag Report 21 Apr 2005 08:40

can you post the one you have, so we have other names to look for please

The Bag

The Bag Report 21 Apr 2005 08:53

1871 born breconshire: still dont think it right- William not Edgar! David Parry 1864 Devynock, Breconshire, Wales Son Ystradgynlais Breconshire Hannah Parry 1867 Ystradgunlais, Breconshire, Wales Daughter Ystradgynlais Breconshire Jennet Parry 1834 Devynock, Breconshire, Wales Wife Ystradgynlais Breconshire Margaret Parry 1869 Ystradgynlais, Breconshire, Wales Daughter Ystradgynlais Breconshire William Parry 1827 Devynock, Breconshire, Wales Head Ystradgynlais Breconshire

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Apr 2005 08:55

Thank you
I have nothing to 'attach' her to at that time.

Yesterday you kindly looked in 1871 for her father Edgar PARRY, a carpenter but didn't see him and you posted that when searching 1871 for Hannah PARRY you didn't find any of the right age b. Glamorgan,- only Anglesea, Brecon and Flint.

As she has 'changed' birthplace, the Brecon information looks promising.
One of her sons was called Edgar, so maybe she had a brother Edgar PARRY too.
I know so little about her and am seeking a family to research but finding obstacles at every corner.
Thank you for your help.

The Bag

The Bag Report 21 Apr 2005 09:01

I cant find an Edgar Parry in Breconshire, thats whats bugging me!! jess x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Apr 2005 09:20

Thank you Jess, I was busy typing. As you say, No Edgar so I'm not sure really. I've just searched the 1881 discs again and nothing points to any particular Hannah, given the new possible lead. Are you able to view the 1881 image please? When Hannah married in Bridgend, the witnesses were Catherine REES and T. VERITY. On the 1881 discs I have noted a household that contains these names, -almost. At 27 Dunraven Place, Coyty Lower is an Annie T. VERITY and a Catherine REES and I wondered whether Hannah was there too on the actual image.

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 21 Apr 2005 10:09

Hiya Gwyn, have been searching alot with your problem could this be a possiblity?????? I'll save image is 1871 census Julie :) Ann Parry 1866 Llanfigan, Breconshire, Wales Daughter Llanfigan and Pencelli Breconshire Evan Parry 1823 Llanhamlach, Breconshire, Wales Head Llanfigan and Pencelli Breconshire Jennet Parry 1830 Talyllyn, Breconshire, Wales Wife Llanfigan and Pencelli Breconshire Jennet Parry 1852 Llanhamlach, Breconshire, Wales Daughter

The Bag

The Bag Report 21 Apr 2005 10:24

this is that 1881 lot Mary Jones abt 1867 Maesteg, Glamorgan, Wales Servant 27 Dunraven Place, Coyty Lower, Glamorgan, Wales Catherine Rees abt 1825 Merthyrmawr, Glamorgan, Wales Servant 27 Dunraven Place, Coyty Lower, Glamorgan, Wales Alice C. Smith abt 1850 Bridgend, Glamorgan, Wales Daughter 27 Dunraven Place, Coyty Lower, Glamorgan, Wales John V. Smith abt 1850 Tre..., Glamorgan, Wales Son in Law 27 Dunraven Place, Coyty Lower, Glamorgan, Wales Abraham J. Verity abt 1819 Bridgend, Glamorgan, Wales Head 27 Dunraven Place, Coyty Lower, Glamorgan, Wales Anne Verity abt 1822 Merthyr Mawr, Glamorgan, Wales Wife 27 Dunraven Place, Coyty Lower, Glamorgan, Wales Annie T. Verity abt 1866 Bridgend, Glamorgan, Wales Daughter 27 Dunraven Place, Coyty Lower, Glamorgan, Wales Charles F. Verity abt 1862 Bridgend, Glamorgan, Wales Son 27 Dunraven Place, Coyty Lower, Glamorgan, Wales Graham M. Verity abt 1868 Bridgend, Glamorgan, Wales Son 27 Dunraven Place, Coyty Lower, Glamorgan, Wales Jessie L. Verity abt 1858 Bridgend, Glamorgan, Wales Daughter 27 Dunraven Place, Coyty Lower, Glamorgan, Cant see a Hannah in the vicinity tho - given that one is listed as servant and the other is wife to head I wonder if hannah was employed there prior to marriage?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Apr 2005 10:24

Thank you Julie. It's very kind of you to search for me. I don't know if Hannah could be Ann. Anything is possible. Everywhere I have her documented she is shown as Hannah, (1891, 1901, her 1886 marriage certificate and birth certificate of her son Daniel DAVIES in January 1895) If only she'd had a daughter we might have a clue to her mother's name.