Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need some ideas please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Matthew

Matthew Report 19 Sep 2005 13:21

see below

Matthew

Matthew Report 19 Sep 2005 13:23

Before I spend more money on certs (which is costing me a fortune) I wondered if I could throw this at you good people. My Gt Grn Father Newport Smith was married to Margaret Alice. On my Grand Fathers birth cert she is shown as Margaret Smith formerly Brown. Now this really surprised my mother who had been telling me her name was Margaret Hannas becuase this was the name on the grave. So after some searching I found the grave of Margaret in Yardley cementary in Birmingham, which explained the confusion, the Grave stone reads: 'Treasured memories of Margaret Alice beloved wife of Newport Smith who died Nov 11th 1940 Aged 56 years also Newport Smith beloved of the above who died Dec 26 1957 aged 75 Reunited' Also one of the grave 'curb stones' reads 'Also beloved mother of the above, Harriet Hannas 1863-1936' With me so far ? So I have Margaret Alice Brown/Hannas whose birth I can date to c1884, but I find nothing. I can find the death of Harriet Hannas but nothing else. Anyone have any ideas ? Matthew

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 19 Sep 2005 13:33

Was Margaret born in Brimingham?

Tillot

Tillot Report 19 Sep 2005 13:34

It must mean that Harriet Hannas married a Hannas after Margaret was born? Why you can't find her birth registered though, it must be fustrating. Hopefully someone on here can suggest something.

Suein10b

Suein10b Report 19 Sep 2005 13:40

Presume you have this from 1901 Edwa T Gardner abt 1878 Birmingham Boarder Aston Warwickshire Christopher Smith abt 1888 Birmingham Son Aston Warwickshire Elizabeth Smith abt 1853 Wolverhampton Wife Aston Warwickshire Ellen Smith abt 1879 Birmingham Daughter Aston Warwickshire Newport Smith abt 1848 Birmingham Head Aston Warwickshire Newport Smith abt 1883 Birmingham Son Have saved image let me know if youd like it Im sure you could check with Yardley cemetery the details of those buried. With luck you could find who bought the plot / paid . Sue

Matthew

Matthew Report 19 Sep 2005 13:40

I think she was born in Birmingham

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 19 Sep 2005 13:41

Do you have the marriage cert? If so, who was her father? I can't find a Margaret born in Birmingham with mother Harriet.

Matthew

Matthew Report 19 Sep 2005 13:42

Hi Sue, yes I have the 1901 census record, the plot was bought by Newport Smith so doesn't give me anymore info.

Matthew

Matthew Report 1 Oct 2005 19:52

Sorry to repeat myself: Before I spend more money on certs (which is costing me a fortune) I wondered if I could throw this at you good people. My Gt Grn Father Newport Smith was married to Margaret Alice. On my Grand Fathers birth cert she is shown as Margaret Smith formerly Brown. Now this really surprised my mother who had been telling me her name was Margaret Hannas because this was the name on the grave. So after some searching I found the grave of Margaret in Yardley cementary in Birmingham, which explained the confusion, the Grave stone reads: 'Treasured memories of Margaret Alice beloved wife of Newport Smith who died Nov 11th 1940 Aged 56 years also Newport Smith beloved of the above who died Dec 26 1957 aged 75 Reunited' Also one of the grave 'curb stones' reads 'Also beloved mother of the above, Harriet Hannas 1863-1936' With me so far ? So I have Margaret Alice Brown/Hannas whose birth I can date to c1884, but I find nothing. I can find the death of Harriet Hannas but nothing else. Added today 01 Oct 2005: I went to see my Gt Aunt Edi today who gave me some snippets to work on (bless her she's 93 and I got the same stories 7 times). She told me her mother, Margaret Alice (as per above) went to live with the Colston family when she was about 13. My gt aunyt Edith was named after two of the Colston daughters Edith and Agnes. After a quick search I found : Agnes M Colston Aston Warwickshire Agnes S Colston Aston Warwickshire Edith E Colston Aston Warwickshire Ernest G Colston Aston Warwickshire Thomas Colston Head Aston Warwickshire Thomas J E Colston Son Aston Warwickshire Margaret A Hanners abt 1884 Boarder Aston THERE SHE IS, but can't find anything before this. Anyone have any ideas ?

Merry

Merry Report 1 Oct 2005 20:11

Well done Great-aunt Edi!! At least you know she has that bit right!! I take it that's the 1901 census? Merry

Matthew

Matthew Report 1 Oct 2005 20:40

It is

Merry

Merry Report 1 Oct 2005 20:51

So at least we know that Margaret's mother, Harriet, should have the Hannas surname in 1901 even if she was Brown or whatever, when Margaret was born....... Pity I can't find Harriet then!! Merry (still looking for inspiration.....)

Judith

Judith Report 1 Oct 2005 21:06

1891 census for Aston has Margaret Hanas aged 7. Am just waiting for image to load to see who she was with.

Judith

Judith Report 1 Oct 2005 21:10

43 Coleman Street, Aston, Birmingham Samuel Hanas Head Mar 28 Coke loader Birmingham Harriet Hanas wife Mar 27 Birmingham Margaret Hanas dau 7 ScholarBirmingham John Hanas son 6 Scholar Birmingham Fanny Hanas dau 2 Birmingham

Merry

Merry Report 1 Oct 2005 21:11

Oh, ***** ******* Judith, I could have SWORN I looked for that combination!! Ggggrrrrr!! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 1 Oct 2005 21:19

I cen't decide if this is them or not in 1901? There's a son Thomas who wasn't there in 1891! (Unless he is John???) View Record Cecil Hannah abt 1897 Birmingham Son Birmingham Warwickshire View Record Fanny Hannah abt 1889 Birmingham Daughter Birmingham Warwickshire View Record Harriett Hannah abt 1863 Birmingham Wife Birmingham Warwickshire View Record May Hannah abt 1894 Birmingham Daughter Birmingham Warwickshire View Record Samuel Hannah abt 1859 Birmingham Head Birmingham Warwickshire View Record Thomas Hannah abt 1885 Birmingham Son Birmingham Warwickshire Merry

Merry

Merry Report 1 Oct 2005 21:26

Having searched hard (???) for a marriage between Harriet and Samuel, I wonder if they were not married and her maiden name was Brown??? Hence Margaret Alice used the name Brown on her children's birth certs? Have you got Margaret Alice's marriage cert?? Merry

Matthew

Matthew Report 1 Oct 2005 21:30

If you can find the marriage you're a better man than I Matthew

Judith

Judith Report 1 Oct 2005 21:36

You could be right about them being illegitimate as I can't seem to find any births listed for the Hanas Hanners Hannah children either, though it would help if I knew how to spell the name - Freebmd hates searching with a wild card at this time of night!

Merry

Merry Report 1 Oct 2005 21:46

I agree Judith. I was really irritated that there is no birth reg for Margaret Alice Brown though, as this might have confirmed our thoughts. Ggggrrrrr I cannot find Samuel on any of the earlier census records. Gggggrrrr!! agian! Merry