Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please agree I have got this right!!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 28 Oct 2005 12:45

I have a uncle who got married sometime in the 1960s I know the wifes first name is Maura but calls herself Maureen, dont know her last name .Well I have been on ancestry just put her first name in and have found a marriage between a Maureen C and underneath another entry saying Maura C same area volumne and page number so am hoping this is it, only problem is the grooms name is not right but I do know he had a very shady past and was not averse to using different names do you think this is just coincidence or am I barking up the right Tree would welcome any ideas thanks?????

Heather

Heather Report 28 Oct 2005 12:50

I wouldnt have thought it is 100% if the groom's name isnt correct. Are you sure there are no more entries for grooms on that reference? You know how freebmd leave out people that they havent got round to transcribing - that sort of thing? If you think its right, why not ask sks on records office if they could see if the correct husband is shown with same reference on 1837online? Wow, I just reread your note, are marriages that late on ancestry?

Fiona

Fiona Report 28 Oct 2005 12:52

Would that be in the 1960's they got married? If so then I doubt the marriage between your Uncle and Maura would show on Ancestry or is this a second marriage for Maura your looking at? Ancestry only goes upto 1910 in one part, the others Marriages are from 1984-2000. Update. Ok I stand corrected!! and amazed!! Just looked and there it is 1966 in Essex. Do you know Maura's fathers name? If so you could use this as a checking point to be sure you have the right one. Lucky you!! Wish mine for the 1900's were on there!

Val wish I'd never started Report 28 Oct 2005 12:52

hi yes I did look on 1837 its the same info and yes they do have quite a lot of late marriages on there , take a look

Val wish I'd never started Report 28 Oct 2005 12:53

hi I was told she had been married before but dont know if this is true or not

Val wish I'd never started Report 28 Oct 2005 12:55

hi are you saying second marriages would be on there but not firsts ??? why is that and yes it was in the 60s

Fiona

Fiona Report 28 Oct 2005 12:57

Hi Val, I've updated my message.

Heather

Heather Report 28 Oct 2005 12:57

Shes right! There are some 1960's marriages on there - blow me, I wouldnt have believed that. One of the transcribers must be doing a different batch to everyone else! This must have been uploaded very recently to ancestry. Anyone checked out freebmd as they should be in front of the info they supply to ancestry. Ive just found the one I think you are talking about - its in Essex, yes? Thing is, there are so few of them transcribed it does seem a bit iffy. Do you know if they had any kids? You could always get a birth cert to check her maiden name.

Val wish I'd never started Report 28 Oct 2005 13:01

she is very cagey I know she was born in a army hospital in Aldershot I think her father was in the army for years but dont know his name or her childs I am not supposed to know about him

Val wish I'd never started Report 28 Oct 2005 13:02

well it says married to a Breen so I then looked at Breens for that quarter and year

Heather

Heather Report 28 Oct 2005 13:03

Isnt that the area Valerie, not a name? I dont know, do they do modern ones with the grooms name showing? But I would think if it is the wrong name Val, it wont be the right couple. No chance of knowing the kids names at all?

Val wish I'd never started Report 28 Oct 2005 13:04

Hi Heather it does say the surname of who they married on each entry have you not noticed that????

Fiona

Fiona Report 28 Oct 2005 13:06

I don't know about you but if I knew that was her maiden name I'd have to get it and find out! Then Tell the Hubby my shoes cost 7 pounds more than they did! lol

Val wish I'd never started Report 28 Oct 2005 13:07

Tut Tut FC you dont expect me to lie to my husband do you???? of course I am going to get it and he will think its free as always , lucky he doesnt use the PC isnt it ??

Fiona

Fiona Report 28 Oct 2005 13:09

The Husbands surname isn't on Ancestry but if you look on FreeBMD it's there.

Heather

Heather Report 28 Oct 2005 13:14

Is it the Breen one? Oh how lovely on these late ones it gives a spouse column - woo hoo. I hope we get a lot more like that online soon. Thanks Valerie, I wouldnt have known about these recent ones if you hadnt asked this question. I bet freebmd will be on overload today when people read this.

Val wish I'd never started Report 28 Oct 2005 13:15

yes Heather it is and they did live in the Essex area at that time

Fiona

Fiona Report 28 Oct 2005 13:15

I think it is. It's not a lie Val, it's an expansion on the truth. The shoes cost 20 I expand it to 27.

Val wish I'd never started Report 28 Oct 2005 13:17

FC do you mean you think I am right , the thing is Maura isnt a very common name not like Moira which is more common

Val wish I'd never started Report 28 Oct 2005 13:18

glad to be of help Heather for a change instead of others helping me .