Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Spouse - Ancestry - Civil Reg. Index

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 00:12

Has anyone else had the problem of a missing spouse on ancestry? I wonder whether the name is unreadable? Is it worth ordering the marriage certificate? I think I have found my Gt.Gt. Grandmother's marriage, but her spouse is missing! The district and year would be in keeping with the census records (ie in 1881 the couples first child was born in 1875) Will post the entry - Advice Anyone Please!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 00:12

Match Quality View Record Name Year Quarter Record Type District County View Record ARTHUR, Elizabeth Gundry 1873 March Marriages Redruth Cornwall View Record BONE, James 1873 March Marriages Redruth Cornwall View Record CURNOW, Elizabeth Jane 1873 March Marriages Redruth Cornwall

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 00:18

Mine is Elizabeth Jane Curnow who married an Edwin Curnow! (Have their sons birth certificate) Have looked at 1837 site and found Elizabeth's marriage - but surely if Edwin was married to her - his entry would have been on the same page! (It wasnt!) Their marriage certificate is essential, as I cant find either Elizabeth or Edwins births either! HELP!! Kim X

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 00:28

Kim Ancestry's civil reg. index is taken from freebmd - you can see the word 'freebmd' in the address bar when you search it. The missing spouse isn't there because it hasn't been transcribed yet. If you already know his name (are they both Curnows because they are cousins?) you need to consider what extra information the marriage cert will have. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 00:28

Sorry, just read your second posting and I am now confused! nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 00:36

I presume this is Edwin & Elizabeth from 1881: Edwin Curnow abt 1857 Penzance, Cornwall, England Head Old P O Yard, Falmouth, Cornwall Elizth. Jane Curnow abt 1852 Camborne Wife Louisa Jane Curnow abt 1875 Camborne daughter Wm.A. Curnow abt 1877 Camborne, Cornwall Son Elizth. Catherine Curnow abt 1879 Camborne, Daughter

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 00:39

Hi Nell! They are not that closely related, as far as I know, because their branches of Curnow are from different towns in Cornwall! Im sure they will tie in with past generations of Curnows though! My main problem is, that I know the name of Elizabeth's parents now (received her sisters birth cert. today) her father wasnt on any census, so I don't know where he was born! (He died in between the 1861 and 1871 census, and on the 1861 was reported as being 'Out of County!' Edwin's mother was a Curnow, and as a child, he was living is a household of Curnow girls, all of them unmarried! (but which one was his mother?) Think I will order the marriage certificate then - because as you say, the info will be there, but hasnt been transcribed yet!! Thanks Nell!! Kim X

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 00:40

Can't find an Edwin Curnow born in Penzance (or anywhere near Penzance) in 1861 or 1871 censuses. Is it possible info about Eliz. Curnow on son's birth cert is just a mistake, or does it say 'Elizabeth Jane Curnow, formerly Curnow'? nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 00:41

You can always use the information you already know as a checking point when ordering the cert. That way if its the wrong one you only lose £3. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 00:50

Ordered Edwin's birth certificate (born in Truro) Thought that maybe his mum went away from home for the birth! LOL - Wrong Edwin!! Im glad you are as confused as I am! Shows Im not the only one! Their sons birth certificate (William Albert b. 1877 - my Gt Grandad - is the correct one - their address from the census is on there) So is Elizabeth's maiden name) OH these two Curnows are the bane of my life!!! Kim X

Smiley

Smiley Report 27 Nov 2005 00:50

These are the four entries 1 Arthur Elizabeth Gundry Redruth.5c 354 Marriage 1 1873 2 Bone James Redruth.5c 354 Marriage 1 1873 3 Curnow Elizabeth Jane Redruth.5c 354 Marriage 1 1873 4 Luke Richard Henry Redruth.5c 354 Marriage 1 1873 www.familyrelatives.org offers a MATCH service now, very helpful Going by your post above this lady is NOT your gg-grandmother Sam

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 00:55

Thanks Smiley Sammy!! You have saved me wasting £7 on that marriage cert! But where do I go now? Boo Very Hoo!! I wonder whether they didnt bother getting married - because they had the same surname!! Eh? What do you reckon?? (Still cant find their births though!) Thanks anyway Nell n Sammy!! Kim XX

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 01:10

Edwin was born in Towednack (registration district Penzance) Elizabeth was born in Camborne (registration district Redruth) Kim X

Smiley

Smiley Report 27 Nov 2005 01:21

I have a birth for an Elizabeth Jane Curnow March quarter 1852 Penzance Vol: 5C Page: 333 send me your email address Kim and I'll send the image, I'm not 100% on the GRO ref, a second opinion would be better Regards Sam

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 01:31

Hi Sammy! That was the birth certificate I ordered for Elizabeth Jane Curnow. and it was the wrong one!! Parents and places were incorrect!! Thanks Hun!! Kim XX

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 27 Nov 2005 09:21

Just as an aside - if you're interested - I think you'll find that CURNOW is Cornish for CORNISH, if you see what I mean! I deduce this from having bought a book of Cornish folksongs and it was called ''Canau Curnow'' or something like that. Christine

Dea

Dea Report 27 Nov 2005 09:31

Kim, Hope you don't mind if I ask Sam a question ! How does that match service work that you mentioned above ? - I have a page with 3 people on also and need to find the missing one! Thanks in advance, Dea x

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 10:54

Yes Christine!! And there are flippin' LOADS of 'em in Cornwall!! Don't mind at all Dea! Was wondering that myself, whether its a pay to view site or yearly subscription! Maybe worth joining, as I also have a couple more ancestors who seem to have married theirselves!! Thanks for your replies peeps! Kim X

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Nov 2005 10:57

Kim If you don't have Elizabeth's birth cert or marriage cert how do you know who her parents were? and what exactly does it say on her child's birth cert? nell

Joy

Joy Report 27 Nov 2005 10:58

KimKat! hello! have you subscribed to the Cornish mailing lists and asked on there? :-) BounceKat