Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice Please!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 14 Feb 2006 22:24

Hi All, I need alittle bit of help. I have hit a HUGE brick wall and don't really know where to look for further info. I am trying to find relatives to both of my Grandfathers. I have found all the infomation I can from my family members on both of them and their families. One of my Grandfathers (Joseph Peter Gibson, born 1923 in Gateshead Tyne and Wear) parents died when he was a teenager. I have no info on them at all, not even their names. My other Granfather (Edward Ronald Mason, born 1937 in Newcastle Upon Tyne), his parents were Alfred Ernest Mason and Mary Gee. I have no details on their parents, siblins (With the exception of Mary's sister, Ginny. Which I am guessing is short for Virginnia - Correct me if I am wrong!! lol) etc If anyone can advise me where to look for further infomation, please let me know. I am new to all this, and am totally stuck. So if there are any usefull websites or places to I should go, let me know.....please. Thanks in advance Julie

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 14 Feb 2006 22:28

GR screws up first postings.may I ? Hi All, I need alittle bit of help. I have hit a HUGE brick wall and don't really know where to look for further info. I am trying to find relatives to both of my Grandfathers. I have found all the infomation I can from my family members on both of them and their families. One of my Grandfathers (Joseph Peter Gibson, born 1923 in Gateshead Tyne and Wear) parents died when he was a teenager. I have no info on them at all, not even their names. My other Granfather (Edward Ronald Mason, born 1937 in Newcastle Upon Tyne), his parents were Alfred Ernest Mason and Mary Gee. I have no details on their parents, siblins (With the exception of Mary's sister, Ginny. Which I am guessing is short for Virginnia - Correct me if I am wrong!! lol) etc If anyone can advise me where to look for further infomation, please let me know. I am new to all this, and am totally stuck. So if there are any usefull websites or places to I should go, let me know.....please. Thanks in advance Julie

Julie

Julie Report 14 Feb 2006 22:30

Thanks Jess That's easier to read....lol

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 14 Feb 2006 22:30

Q : when did Joseph celebrate his birthday, (trying to find his birth for you to get you going) **Joseph Gibson born Gateshead apr/may/jun Qtr 1923 mothers maiden name GRAY 10a 1863 (the ref number)

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson*

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson* Report 14 Feb 2006 22:31

Julie Best thing to find Joseph Peter Gibson's parents is to get his Birth Certifcate. This will give you both parents' names, father's occupation and mother's maiden name. Regarding Ernest and Mary I'd go for their Marriage Certificate as this would give their ages and their father's names and occupations. You need a GRO (General Records Office) Reference to order both of these. You can look for these at: www(.)ancestry(.)co(.)uk. When you have the Reference you can order the appropriate Certificate online at: www(.)gro(.)gov(.)uk Remove brackets in both cases. You will need a Credit/Debit Card to order. Joy

Heather

Heather Report 14 Feb 2006 22:32

Youve got lots of stuff to work on. 2 marriage certs for both sets of grandparents would be good - would get both fathers names and occupations.

Julie

Julie Report 14 Feb 2006 22:33

His birthday was the 23.03.23. If it helps he died in September (I think) 1990.

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 14 Feb 2006 22:34

have found his birth for you and posted it above in my earlier reply **Joseph Gibson born Gateshead apr/may/jun Qtr 1923 mothers maiden name GRaY 10a 1863 (the ref number) note ; born that late in march it would be registered the next Qtr

Julie

Julie Report 14 Feb 2006 22:36

Thanks Joy and Heather, I figured birth and marrage certs would help but wasn't sure were to get them from. Stupid question though - When you go to the records office, are they prepared to give you the information or do you have to prove your retated or anything like that?

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 14 Feb 2006 22:37

There is this birth in the GRO indexes: 1923 June quarter Joseph Gibson (No Peter or middle initial of P???????) Gateshead Vol: 10a Page: 1863 How certain are you of the year and the middle initial? Suzanne Update: I may be verrrry tired but I thought the mothers name was GRAY (with an A?)

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson*

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson* Report 14 Feb 2006 22:44

Julie No you don't have to prove your related. Unless you can get to the Registry Offices yourself, the best place to get your Certificates is from the site I gave you the address for: www(.)gro(.)gov(.)uk Remove brackets round the dots. Joy

Julie

Julie Report 14 Feb 2006 22:50

Thanks Jess Have just asked my Dad if his Grandmothers maiden name could have been Grey, he says it sounds familiar. So I think that is propably the right Joesph Peter Gibson. I was hoping for a very unsuall name! LOL. Oh well...... If it isn't too much of a cheek could you please check for a David Campbell Gibson born 1931, also in Gateshead. He is Joesph's youngest brother. To see if his mother also comes up as Grey. Thanks again.

Fiona

Fiona Report 14 Feb 2006 22:52

Name: Joseph Peter Gibson Death Year: [1990] Age: 65 Birth Date: 22 Mar 1924 Death Registration Month/Year: Jan 1990 Registration District: Gateshead Inferred County: Tyne And Wear Inferred Country: England Birth. Joseph P. Gibson, June Quarter 1924, District Gateshead, Vol 10a, Page 1878. Mothers maiden name Yallop.

Julie

Julie Report 14 Feb 2006 22:53

Hi Suzanne, I am 100% certain on the date and middle name. I guess the middle name could have been added after the birth was registered. That happened with my Aunt.

Julie

Julie Report 14 Feb 2006 23:00

Hi FC. That looks right. I know the bith year is different from what I said, but the death record matches perfectly. Just as a cross referance if it isn't too much troble could you please see if there is a David Campbell Gibson listed being born 1931 and dying in Feb 1983? Big thank you!!!!

Anne

Anne Report 14 Feb 2006 23:17

Looks like you are in luck with an unusual name! Gibson, David C Jan feb mar 1932 mothers maiden name Yallop Gateshaead 10a 1407 Anne

Fiona

Fiona Report 14 Feb 2006 23:23

Marriage Dec quarter 1922, Mary E. Yallop, District Gateshead, Vol 10a, Page 1723. Husband William Gibson.

Fiona

Fiona Report 14 Feb 2006 23:27

If marriage certificate says Mary Elizabeth, age 18 this could be her birth. Births Sep 1904 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- YALLOP Mary Elizabeth Gateshead 10a 1117

Julie

Julie Report 14 Feb 2006 23:42

Thanks Your a STAR!!!!! I thought I may have have David's born year wrong. Boy there's alot of listing on Ancestry's website. Phew!! I guess I do have the unsuall name after all. Thank heavens of the that, the rest of my tree is full of really common ones like 'Smith', LOL. It's been a nightmare. Thanks to everyone else for their help tonight also. I really appriecate it! :D

Julie

Julie Report 14 Feb 2006 23:44

Thanks FC, thats BRILLIANT!!!! You don't know how much this help means!!!