Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Were they ever married?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 2 Mar 2006 10:30

I'm almost worn out from trying to locate a marriage between Florrie Roberts and William Robert Coleman Should have taken place about 1909 in the Whittlebury/Sylverstone area I am just about at wits end here and any help would be really appreciated. Thanks....Sue

Andrea

Andrea Report 2 Mar 2006 10:53

Where's Whittlebury/Silverstone?What's the usual District number?

Susan

Susan Report 2 Mar 2006 10:54

Thankyou Ed for your reply (and so quick)...is that anywhere near Whittlebury...they had a child in 1909 so I assumed that was the year they were married. Didnt occur to me that it could have been after that. Is there anything else on that page that would help....Thanks Sue

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 2 Mar 2006 10:54

How certain are you of the details? Was Florrie really Florrie or Florence? Why 1909? Why Towchester district? Suzanne

Susan

Susan Report 2 Mar 2006 10:56

Its a bit difficult for me Andrea - I'm in Australia - trying to do this by memory and at arms length. I think Whittlebury is in Northhampton.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 2 Mar 2006 10:58

I'm assuming Florrie to be Florence. Several on freebmd but only one for the general area(Wellingboro) and wrong groom. Also Coventry and Swindon but again wrong groom. Do you have Florrie in the 1901,perhaps she was known as Florrie. Glen

Susan

Susan Report 2 Mar 2006 10:59

William was born in Sylverstone and Florrie in Whittlebury. They had a son in 1909...he was born in Halstock

Kate

Kate Report 2 Mar 2006 11:00

There is no matching Florrie or Florence Roberts for that Fulham 1910 marriage. Just because they had a child in 1909 doesn't mean that that is when they got married, though, does it? Surely they could have got married years before then? (Or indeed, after then.) Do you have either of them on the 1901 census to be sure that they were not married before 1901, at least? Kate.

Susan

Susan Report 2 Mar 2006 11:00

Florrie was only ever known as Florrie. I understand she was Florrie on her birth cert. and Florrie on her death cert. although I havent yet seen either

Susan

Susan Report 2 Mar 2006 11:03

Florrie was born 28/1/1887 and William 17/10/1886

Kate

Kate Report 2 Mar 2006 11:06

This must be her birth registration, just to prove her name really was Florrie, though if you have her correct birth date it looks as though she was registered outside the time limit of 6 weeks: Births Jun 1887 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Roberts Florrie Towcester 3b 9 Kate.

Kate

Kate Report 2 Mar 2006 11:10

And given William's birth date, this should be his birth registration, so it looks as though he was born in London: Births Dec 1886 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Coleman William Robert Islington 1b 3_0 (that underscore in the middle of the page number means the transcriber couldn't read it.) Kate.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 2 Mar 2006 11:19

Only 1901 that would be remotely close to Whittlebury is Florrie Adcom Roberts age 4 born Bedfordshire,(Marston) . Census places her in Kempston Beds

Kate

Kate Report 2 Mar 2006 11:22

Glen - don't forget she would be about 14 in 1901! Kate.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 2 Mar 2006 11:24

Doh!!!

Susan

Susan Report 2 Mar 2006 11:26

Florrie and William have one surviving daughter - she is now about 85 I think. I have spoken with her and she told me her parents never spoke about when they were married or the wedding itself - but she thought it took place in 1909....and from what I have been able to glean - Florrie would have been about 3 or 4 months pregnant.

Susan

Susan Report 2 Mar 2006 11:27

I think it might be a bit much to ask her 'do you think that perhaps they never married'....might not be too good for her blood pressure <s>

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 2 Mar 2006 11:29

From 1901 Florence Roberts age 14 born Whittlebury Northants Northampton Whittlebury so at least it's after 1901

Susan

Susan Report 2 Mar 2006 11:31

thats interesting Glen.....is that definately Florence and not Florrie?

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 2 Mar 2006 11:34

I meant Florrie,its the 400+ marriage records i looked at. Florrie Roberts age 14 Whittlebury. Apologies