Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can I ask for your help?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 7 Mar 2006 09:04

Hi, I was wondering if some-one could help me out with a missing branch. I’m tracing my late Nan’s family and have managed 5 generations on her Mum’s side (and more on her husbands side), but although I think I have a lot to start with I’ve got no further than her Dad on the other side! Can anyone suggest what to do next? This is what I know: John Saunders (Nan’s Dad), born about 1868 (according to age on his marriage certificates), don’t know where but suspect East London. 1894 – John is living at 37 Glengall Road, Poplar. Married Alice Hughes (I’ve traced her family) from 24 Glengall Road, Poplar, at the Parish Church, Poplar. John Saunders is a labourer. His father William is also a Labourer. 1898 – son John Henry born. Living at 101 Elizabeth Street, North Woolwich, East Ham, West Ham, Essex. (I have is birth certificate). My aunt thinks 3 more children were born but the names are so common in the region that we’ve not been able to find them. We think they were Charlie, Robert & Ethel. 1901 – can’t find John, Alice or John Henry on census (nor with any of the other children we think we around). Alice Saunders dies between 1898 and 1903. I’ve checked the indexes from Jan 1898 (before her son was born) until Dec 1903 (after her husband remarries as a widow) and can’t find a record of the death of an Alice Saunders anywhere near the right age. Or without looking at age, anywhere near where they lived. 1903 – John is living at 4 Storey Street, North Woolwich, and remarries Eliza Grigson (I’ve traced her family back to the 1750s) at the Parish Church, North Woolwich. John is a labourer. His father William is also a Labourer. 1914 – son, John Henry, joins Navy and states address as 182 Albert Road, Woolwich. He is a deck hand, Port of London Authority. 1916 - son, John Henry, dies in Gallipoli. 1919 – my Nan, Edith May, is born. Family still living at 182 Albert Road, Woolwich. We believe she had 2 older sisters Em/Elizabeth and Rose. Again my aunt is looking for them. 1939 – John Saunders is still alive when my Nan marries and is a cable hand. Family still living at 182 Albert Road, Woolwich. Elizabeth Street and Albert Road run parallel to each other and one of the roads joining them is Storey Street so the family didn’t move every much. The only ancestor of John I know of is his father William who I believe to be alive until at least 1903 and is shown as Labourer on both of his son’s marriage certificates. What should I do next? I’ve never been stuck when I’ve known so much!

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 7 Mar 2006 09:10

Hope you don't mind that I've made your message easier to read Hi, I was wondering if some-one could help me out with a missing branch. I’m tracing my late Nan’s family and have managed 5 generations on her Mum’s side (and more on her husbands side), but although I think I have a lot to start with I’ve got no further than her Dad on the other side! Can anyone suggest what to do next? This is what I know: John Saunders (Nan’s Dad), born about 1868 (according to age on his marriage certificates), don’t know where but suspect East London. 1894 – John is living at 37 Glengall Road, Poplar. Married Alice Hughes (I’ve traced her family) from 24 Glengall Road, Poplar, at the Parish Church, Poplar. John Saunders is a labourer. His father William is also a Labourer. 1898 – son John Henry born. Living at 101 Elizabeth Street, North Woolwich, East Ham, West Ham, Essex. (I have is birth certificate). My aunt thinks 3 more children were born but the names are so common in the region that we’ve not been able to find them. We think they were Charlie, Robert & Ethel. 1901 – can’t find John, Alice or John Henry on census (nor with any of the other children we think we around). Alice Saunders dies between 1898 and 1903. I’ve checked the indexes from Jan 1898 (before her son was born) until Dec 1903 (after her husband remarries as a widow) and can’t find a record of the death of an Alice Saunders anywhere near the right age. Or without looking at age, anywhere near where they lived. 1903 – John is living at 4 Storey Street, North Woolwich, and remarries Eliza Grigson (I’ve traced her family back to the 1750s) at the Parish Church, North Woolwich. John is a labourer. His father William is also a Labourer. 1914 – son, John Henry, joins Navy and states address as 182 Albert Road, Woolwich. He is a deck hand, Port of London Authority. 1916 - son, John Henry, dies in Gallipoli. 1919 – my Nan, Edith May, is born. Family still living at 182 Albert Road, Woolwich. We believe she had 2 older sisters Em/Elizabeth and Rose. Again my aunt is looking for them. 1939 – John Saunders is still alive when my Nan marries and is a cable hand. Family still living at 182 Albert Road, Woolwich. Elizabeth Street and Albert Road run parallel to each other and one of the roads joining them is Storey Street so the family didn’t move every much. The only ancestor of John I know of is his father William who I believe to be alive until at least 1903 and is shown as Labourer on both of his son’s marriage certificates. What should I do next? I’ve never been stuck when I’ve known so much!

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 7 Mar 2006 09:12

Concering the marriage certificate. Just because WIlliam is not listed as deceased, he could be (Maybe John forgot to tell the vicar) Also Alice's age on the BMD may not be correct - I had an ancestor who died aged 78 (listed on burial records as well), but the GRO have noted 72

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 7 Mar 2006 09:16

could any of these be John jr? 1901 - John Saunders 4 Essex Plaistow West Ham West Ham John Saunders 4 London Bow West Ham West Ham john Sr? John J Saunders 34 London Hoxton Essex East Ham Green Grocers John Saunders 33 Devon Sidmouth Essex Walthamstow Tea Lead Roller John L Saunders 34 London Essex Walthamstow Printers Compositor John S Saunders 34 London Millwall Essex Walthamstow Bricklayer John Saunders 33 Latchingdon Essex Essex Tolleshunt Knights Police Officer John J Saunders 34 London Hoxton Essex East Ham Green Grocers

Merry

Merry Report 7 Mar 2006 09:17

When/where was Alice born? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 7 Mar 2006 09:20

So this isn't Alice, then? Deaths Mar 1900 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Saunders Alice 28 W. Ham 4a 150 Merry

Dizzy Lizzy 205090

Dizzy Lizzy 205090 Report 7 Mar 2006 09:36

This little chap is living with Uncle and Aunt Harry and Sarah ?Stammers?: He has a sister Lilian b1900. John Saunders abt 1897 Woolwich, London, England Nephew West Ham Essex

Merry

Merry Report 7 Mar 2006 09:45

Yes Liz....I saw that too. That was partly why I wanted to know Alice's details, to check if she had a sister called Sarah (Mrs Stammers) Hello, Karen.............Hello..........!! Merry

Helen

Helen Report 7 Mar 2006 09:47

Births Lilian Anne Saunders 1900 Mar West Ham 4a 291 Fits with the death record for Alice, maybe died in childbirth?

Karen

Karen Report 7 Mar 2006 09:52

Sorry everyone. My first post and I couldn't reply (blush) Please bare with me! <P> Louise - Thanks for putting in the breaks - they were exactly where I'd put them but got removed when I uploaded. I’ve tried adding HTML this time (fingers crossed) <P> Merry - Alice Hughes, Born: About 1871, Poplar, Middlesex, 1881: 6 Unicorn St, Bromley St Leonard, London. (9). Sisters: Emma, Mary, Jane, Sarah, Sophia, Matilda (in that order, Alice was the youngest and had no brothers) <P> Oh, I think you're getting some-where.

Merry

Merry Report 7 Mar 2006 09:53

Helen, Yes, that looks possible, but without Alice's details we can't really go further!! We are all stabbing in the dark! I looked at the Alice Hughes in 1891 to see if any were around in the Plaistow area and there were several. Karen....where have you gone?? oops, there you are LOL!!!! LOL Merry

Dizzy Lizzy 205090

Dizzy Lizzy 205090 Report 7 Mar 2006 09:54

I have tried freebmd for a marriage between a Sarah Hughes and a Harry/ Henry Stammers, but nothing came up. I am out of credits on familyrellies otherwise I would have looked there. If Karen can confirm whether or not Alice had a sister Sarah it would help. Update - so she did! Did Sarah marry a Mr Stammers by any chance? Liz

Karen

Karen Report 7 Mar 2006 09:56

OK, so <P> doesn't work! For now I'll use hyphens ---- The Stammers: Thee was some-one called Stammers at my nan's funeral but my dad doesn't know who he was. Hadn't thought it could be a descendent of Alice's sister (there was a Sarah Hughes). No-one can remember a Lilian, I'll see if I can find a death record for her and if little John was with his aunt that explains why I can't find big John (if alone he could be one of many). ---- Alice's death - I'd totally missed this West Ham one - been looking at the scanned in images on Ancestry so must be going blind. Thanks. I'll order the cert.

Dizzy Lizzy 205090

Dizzy Lizzy 205090 Report 7 Mar 2006 09:58

Karen, when was Sarah born? Sarah Stammers wasa born 1859 Poplar. Liz

Merry

Merry Report 7 Mar 2006 09:58

Alice Hughes parents in 1871 with the children that had so far: Jane Hughes abt 1857 Poplar, Middlesex, England Daughter Bromley St Leonard London Joseph Hughes abt 1830 New Brentford, Middlesex, England Head Bromley St Leonard London Mary A Hughes abt 1854 New Buntford, Middlesex, England Daughter Bromley St Leonard London Matilda Hughes abt 1868 Bromley, Middlesex, England Daughter Bromley St Leonard London Sarah Hughes abt 1859 Bromley, Middlesex, England Daughter Bromley St Leonard London Sophia Hughes abt 1829 New Brentford, Middlesex, England Wife Bromley St Leonard London Sophia Hughes abt 1862 Bromley, Middlesex, England Daughter Bromley St Leonard London I bet you Sarah Hughes, above, born 1859, is Mrs Stammers below: 1901 Frederick Nurse abt 1874 Lessingham, Norfolk, England Boarder West Ham Essex John Saunders abt 1897 Woolwich, London, England Nephew West Ham Essex Lilian Saunders abt 1900 Marylebone, London, England Niece West Ham Essex Robert Saunders abt 1853 Marylebone, London, England Brother West Ham Essex Alice Stammers abt 1884 Marylebone, London, England Daughter West Ham Essex Harry Stammers abt 1851 Marylebone, London, England Head West Ham Essex Harry Stammers abt 1886 Hampstead, London, England Son West Ham Essex Sarah Stammers abt 1859 Poplar, London, England Wife West Ham Essex Sarah Stammers abt 1882 Marylebone, London, England Daughter West Ham Essex William Stammers abt 1891 Marylebone, London, England Son West Ham Essex Merry

Dea

Dea Report 7 Mar 2006 10:00

Just a tiny tip Karen, When you are adding a reply you don't need to use hyphens etc - the typing comes out exactly as you do it. It is only when you are starting a thread it all jumbles together in one big block. To get around this, when you start a thread, instead of putting in the whole message most of us just put something like 'see below', then post the thread and then open it, click to add message and type it all in there, then it doesn't jumble. Dea x

Merry

Merry Report 7 Mar 2006 10:02

Hooray!!!! Marriages Jun 1876 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hughes Sarah Poplar 1c 1090 Kelly Sarah Poplar 1c 1090 MOORE Edward Poplar 1c 1090 STAMMERS Henry Poplar 1c 1090 Merry

Karen

Karen Report 7 Mar 2006 10:03

What about Robert Saunders? Could he be John's brother or is he little John and Lilian's dad? Would Sarah take in her sister's children and brother in law?

Helen

Helen Report 7 Mar 2006 10:04

Merry you are brilliant! Well done

Karen

Karen Report 7 Mar 2006 10:05

Dea - thanks for the tip. I thought it was me, but now it seems like a GR bug which makes me feel better!