Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it time to give up?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 Mar 2006 14:38

'

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 Mar 2006 14:38

Is it time to give up? I have been trying to find my hubby’s tree for 3 years without success but I have now found a piece of the puzzle which I thought would help but has made it seem even more impossible. Can anyone suggest anything that I can do next please or do I reluctantly have to finally throw in the towel? Harry SMITH and Martha (nee SPENCER) lived in BULWELL, Nottingham in 1904 when they had their daughter Lilian May and 1909 when they had their son Thomas Harry. I have never been able to find a marriage for them. I knew that there was an older son John (known as Jack) but I have now discovered that he was born (John Gilbert) in Blackpool in October 1900 to Nora SPENCER, who registered the birth as Nora Preedy (nee SPENCER) father John Preedy. She also gave an address which I have discovered didn’t exist at that time (or now). There is no trace of Nora marrying John Preedy and I believe that this was just a cover. On the 1901 census she is in a boarding house – aged 22 – as Nora SPENCER and son John Gilbert SPENCER but she gives her birth place as BULWELL, Nottingham. From the Martha Smith (nee Spencer) death cert, I discovered that Martha and Nora (both SPENCER) would have been the same age. I haven’t been able to find a birth for either Martha or Nora in Nottingham either. I would really appreciate any thoughts that anyone has on this. Is Martha/Nora one and the same person. Or did Martha take on the upbringing of John for a family member. Or did Martha/Nora have another name altogether and that is why I can’t find a marriage for Harry and ?Spencer. I would SO love to find this family but I just can’t think of anything else to do. I’m beginning to think they may have come down from Mars in a spaceship:) Thanks for listening – it helps to get it all down on paper. Chrissie x

Robyne

Robyne Report 20 Mar 2006 14:40

Hi chrissie have you found Martha and Harry on the 1901 census, either seperate or together?

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 Mar 2006 14:44

Hi Robyne No I haven't. The trouble is, that without a marriage certificate and such common names it's impossible to know which is them. I do know that when Harry married again after Martha died, the marriage certificate gave his father as John deceased butcher but even that hasn't helped. Harry also gave his age as 50 when he married at the end of 1919 but as his new wife was 28 he might have knocked a few years off:)) Chrissie x

Dizzy Lizzy 205090

Dizzy Lizzy 205090 Report 20 Mar 2006 14:47

There are no birth entries for Nora in the index, but there are these 3 for Martha: Spencer Martha Alice Basford.7b 225 Birth 2 1880 Spencer Martha Elizabeth Basford.7b 170 Birth 2 1880 Spencer Martha Basford.7b 127 Birth 3 1880

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 Mar 2006 14:52

Hi Liz Sorry, your right. I didn't exactly mean there weren't any births for Martha's, although, according to her death cert, she should have been born March 1877 - March 1878. What I really meant was that, I wouldn't know which one was her even if I sent for the certs because I don't know her fathers name. Chrissie p.s. Basford would have been right for Bulwell at that time too.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 20 Mar 2006 15:15

*** big encouraging wave for my mate Chrissie!! *** Maz. XX

Joy

Joy Report 20 Mar 2006 15:18

Probably can't help............ other than to say Hello to my friend Chrissie! :-)

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 Mar 2006 15:25

*********big wave back to my mate Maz*************:))))))) Big hello to friend Joy:)))) Now - about those elusive Smiff's lol:))))))))))))))))))

LincsJen

LincsJen Report 20 Mar 2006 15:37

Chrissie On 1891 census there is a Martha Preedy, adopted daughter, born 1878 Bulwell, living with a Spencer family!!!!!!!!! Jenny

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 Mar 2006 15:39

Wow Jenny - thank you. I must look into that one. That's the first bit of breakthrough I've had for ages. You've just saved me from giving up today:)))) Chrissie x

LincsJen

LincsJen Report 20 Mar 2006 15:42

Hi Chrissie She is on the 1881 with them too! Do you have access to Ancestry? Jenny

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 Mar 2006 15:54

Hi Jenny Yes, I've just been looking but I couldn't find her. Back to Ancestry for me I think. Thank you SOOOOOOO much for your help. You really have given me fresh hope that I might solve this puzzle at last. Chrissie x

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 Mar 2006 15:56

HELP Jenny:)) I give in - why can't I find her in 1881?

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 Mar 2006 15:59

Sorry - forget I spoke - it's probably because she is listed as Martha PUDY - an ADAPTED child lol:))

Merry

Merry Report 20 Mar 2006 16:03

Ooooh! Births Sep 1877 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Preddy Martha Basford 7b 192 Merry

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 Mar 2006 16:08

Ohhhhhhh Merry - thank you - this is SOOOOOOO exciting. After 3 years I feel as though I may be getting somewhere. Please don't be offended but I could kiss you and Jenny lol:)) Chrissie x

LincsJen

LincsJen Report 20 Mar 2006 16:11

Looking for that marriage, but no luck yet! Up to March 1904. Good job you can't get at us to kiss us!!! Jenny

Merry

Merry Report 20 Mar 2006 16:12

LOL Chrissie! Jenny def did the difficult part......... I have been looking for a marriage, but can't yet find one :o(( Merry

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 Mar 2006 16:20

I am so grateful to you both. I am trying to find any of the Spencers on 1901 but apart from Nora(Martha)? in Blackpool they seem to have vanished. Must be mistranscribed or something, they can't all have died. Chrissie x