Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death in Hull - 4/6/1898 - Any online resources?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 20 Mar 2006 14:59

Hi,

Dea

Dea Report 20 Mar 2006 15:01

You could find the death reference on Ancestry or 1837online, or free Bmd + send for the cert. Dea

Ian

Ian Report 20 Mar 2006 15:03

Is it possible to search the Hull newspapers from 1898 for mentions of my great grandfathers death. I would like to find out if it was drunkeness or suicide that led to his death. The death certificate reads: That the deceased was fround drowned in the waters of the Holderings drain and that the deceased drowned himself shilst in an unsound state of mind. If it isn't online then do I have to travel to hull or can I order information into the local library?

Ian

Ian Report 20 Mar 2006 15:04

Sorry Dea, you got in there before I could paste what I had typed. I then realised I was unable to paste what I had typed so had to retype it all. Hence the delay between original post and the reply with all the details. :)

Carrie

Carrie Report 20 Mar 2006 15:06

www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/index.html A Good site to keep in your favourites.

Ian

Ian Report 20 Mar 2006 15:10

sorry, I have the death cert. i was wanting more information such as newspaper reports as the wording of the death cert. could mean unsound state depressed or unsound state drunk. I'd like to think of him as a drunk who fell down a drain and not a suicicde who jumped down the drain. Does anyone know what Holderings <sp?> Drain is?

Ian

Ian Report 20 Mar 2006 16:03

So does anyone know if they are accessible?

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 20 Mar 2006 16:25

Hi Ian It could be Holderness drain. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the drains of Hull! lol. Do you know which area it was in? Hull newspapers from 1791 are held at the Hull Local Studies Library. by phone: 01482 300300 by fax: 01482 616858 by email: local.studies AT hullcc.gov.uk by post/person: Hull Local Studies Library 1st Floor Central Library Albion Street HULL HU1 3TF I could go and have a look for you but you could be in for a long wait as I don't go up town that much. Let me know Jeanette x

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 20 Mar 2006 16:30

Hi Ian, Perhaps you could e-mail or ring the local studies dept at the Hull Centray library? I THINK they hold back issues of Hull newspapers, so maybe they could photocopy anything of relevance for you. They may well be able to inform you about the location of the drain, too. Jay

Ian

Ian Report 20 Mar 2006 16:40

Hi thanks for the replies. So if I call them there is a chance they would be able to spend time searching through the archives for me and look for any mention of him? I know what you mean about not going into town very often as I'm the same. It used to be nice when you could quickly nip into town, park up near the shop you wanted, pick up the one item you want and then go home. Now its a major operation to go and get parked up in a carpark for several hours and expense. I think I might email them and see what they say thanks for the offer though. :)

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 20 Mar 2006 16:48

They're doing a lot of rebuilding near there too so parking is even worse than usual! But if it turns out it's going to be very expensive, let me know and I'll pick a nice day for a walk across town! lol The newspapers are all on microfilm, so working forward from the death date (assuming it was known if he was found in a drain!) shouldn't take too long to find a report if there was one.

Ian

Ian Report 20 Mar 2006 17:08

Yeah I was hoping to find some history on him. Reports on his dissapearence etc. John William Arnold, 35, has not been seen since drinking with his buddies on the night of the 16th. He is said to be highly thought of within his community and etc etc etc Imagine all the stuff you could find out about a family member who has gone missing and died.

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 20 Mar 2006 17:14

Hi Ian I will be going back home to Hull in April-May time and if you haven't found anything by then let me know. I can always pop in and see if I can find something for you as I will probably be doing some research anyway. The drain is pretty big... stretching across most of Hull. Do you know where abouts in Hull he lived? ~Kimberley~

Ian

Ian Report 20 Mar 2006 17:31

His death was registered in Hendon. I only received the certs. a week ago and unfortunatley college, work and life have got in the way. I'm only on here because I'm watching smarteenies with my son.

Carol

Carol Report 20 Mar 2006 17:31

Could it possibly be Holderness Drain There is a Holderness Road and a Holderness High Road in Hull Although I live in Somerset, my mum is from Hull.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 20 Mar 2006 17:33

I think that will be Hedon Ian. Hedon is in the Holdrness area. It's the other side of town to me so if Kimberley knows better, I will stand corrected!

Ian

Ian Report 20 Mar 2006 17:37

Would this by any chance be a image of the drain? I know its a long shot but worth a try. http://prismdata.hullcc.gov.uk/albums/Warr-Time-Hull/TSP_3_301_37_Holderness_Drain_Railway_Bridge_28_6_1940.sized(.)jpg remove brackets before jpg

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 20 Mar 2006 17:55

It could well be a section of it. As Kimberley has said, drains stretch all over Hull. If you have a look at the map on this page it will give you an idea of how big the Holderness area is. http://www.eng-h.gov.uk/archcom/projects/summarys/html97_8/4339.htm So as you can see, it's quite a big area.

Ian

Ian Report 20 Mar 2006 18:36

Yes it's quite a size. At least I can understand how someone can end up in a drain. My image was of a manhole. :)

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 21 Mar 2006 10:02

I agree with Jeanette... Hendon is probably Hedon which is in the East Riding. It still has Hull in it's postal address but is about 6 miles away. If the death was registered in Hedon would he have come from Hedon? The picture does look like the drain.... and it gets wider in places! It is very easy for someone to fall in even now as most of it does not have railings. I've known a number of people to have fallen in and we were always warned against playing near it as children. http://www.streetmap. (co) . uk/newmap.srf?x=515000&y=435000&z=5&sv=515000,435000&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=507500&ay=441500 (remove spaces and brackets near the c o u k part) Starting at the red arrow near Tickton and follow the pale blue line down..... all that is Holderness Drain. It is named just coming past High Bransholme. Where it goes under the big green road that the bit I know. Hedon is near the A1033 (pink one near bottom of pic).