Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

renew norton ? or try the free avg ?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nina

Nina Report 30 Mar 2006 16:56

Anyone got any opinions - my norton is due for renewal in the next few days don't know whether to pay out or download the free avg

Trudy

Trudy Report 30 Mar 2006 17:00

Nina Use the pay version of AVG at work and our computer guru in the office wouldn't let us use anything else!!! Looby

Julia

Julia Report 30 Mar 2006 17:02

I use the pay version of AVG too, and I love it! Julia

Nina

Nina Report 30 Mar 2006 17:03

thanks everyone - think i might try the avg

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Mar 2006 17:38

I dumped Norton and downloaded AVG Free. Haven't looked back.

Joe ex Bexleyheath

Joe ex Bexleyheath Report 30 Mar 2006 17:44

Dump,Norton - Go to Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programmes and you should see Norton listed. Highlight it ansd click on Remove. Don't put on new virus prog till you have dumped Norton or there will be clash between Norton and the new one and will slow down yopur puter apart from other things that could happen. I had AVG for some time but found that on Broadband you need something bit more sophisticated - after all you know that you dont get much for nowt, so I paid out for Ezee - very good prog.

Dea

Dea Report 30 Mar 2006 18:13

I would agree - I know some people are happy with Norton but it caused me no end of problems !! - I charnged it for Macafee and am happy. Anything other than Norton, in my humble opinion, is preferable. Dea x

Heather

Heather Report 30 Mar 2006 18:18

I dumped paid for Mcafee for the free AVG7 program - it is much better - updates itself on at least a daily basis - sometimes even more than once a day. When a virus ate all my hard drive, the Microsoft Mechanic said did you have anti virus and I said Id Mcafees and he shook his head and said get avg. I guess that a qualified MS mechanic must know! Dont forgedt to download a free fire wall aswell - I have zonealarm.

ElaineM

ElaineM Report 30 Mar 2006 18:21

Can anybody tell me the website address for AVG? I've googled it and got allsorts!! Thanks Elaine

LindaG

LindaG Report 30 Mar 2006 18:24

AVG Free http://www.grisoft(.)com/doc/40/lng/ww and ZoneAlarm http://www.download(.)com/3000-2092-10039884.html Lx

ElaineM

ElaineM Report 30 Mar 2006 18:25

Thanks Linda Elaine

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 30 Mar 2006 18:26

Nina, I downloaded the free AGV 7 last month, its very good and I'm glad I did, it dug out 2 viruses and 2 Trojan horses..........which nothing else had detected!!! Runs for between 3/4 hours. Lin

Heather

Heather Report 31 Mar 2006 09:18

I have swopped spybot for the free Microsoft antispy ware - go to the MS website to download it.

LindaG

LindaG Report 31 Mar 2006 11:04

Any one anti spyware solution will only get about 60% of the problems. And they each get a different selection. The important thing is to ensure that they are updated and run regularly (weekly). Most don't automatically update. I have Adaware SE Personal, A-squared and Spybot. All are free. I took off Microsoft because it never found anything when the others do! L For those confused: You may run only 1 Antivirus Prog and 1 Firewall at a time (otherwise you get contention issues). If you install a Firewall, turn OFF the Windows XP one! If you run Norton or McAffee make sure you password protect them. Some viruses are written to specifically target them and stop them from running or updating. Password protection makes this harder for the viruses. Run as many anti-spyware programs as you like. If you are having problems, boot your PC in safe mode before running the anti-spyware and you may find more that did not show when run normally.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Mar 2006 12:49

I had Norton and didn't have any problem with it but to save expense dumped it when it was due for renewal and got free AVG and it has been fine, picks up lots of potential viruses etc. On my laptop I had mcafee and it was a pain so when that came up for renewal I got free AVG on there too. Incidentally we are on Broadband Ann Glos

Lisa

Lisa Report 31 Mar 2006 12:59

Hi, I've found this topic really interesting, I didn't have anything on my first pc and got loads of viruses and worms. I now have just paid for my third year of Norton, cost me £50.00. I may change next year but the prospect scares me a little. Lisa

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 31 Mar 2006 14:13

Just bookmarking this one so I can show it to my husband tonight.

Ann

Ann Report 31 Mar 2006 18:38

I used to have Norton, but then I went to AVG no problems at all. I have the free version. Ann

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 31 Mar 2006 19:16

i used to have Norton, and my pc was slowing down all the time even tho i scanned with Norton and it found nothing! i was sure there was something wrong,so i decided to change to another, i came on here and asked which free one was the best,and most said AVG7, so i un-enstalled Norton, downloaded AVG7, did a scan--------and it found 3 trojans! which Norton had'nt picked up! that was a few months ago-------no way would i go back to Norton now! last night i was downloading some games, some were ok, but then AVG found a trojan on one of them and warned me, so i stopped there and then! it also updates everyday. so i would highly recomend AVG7, you wont regret it! chris.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 31 Mar 2006 20:03

I changed from Norton about a year ago. Having tried a number of programs I settled for two. Avast Antivirus is set up to run online scans. I found this was the best to trap incoming nasties when browsing. AGV is set to run each night and scans all the files on the computer. From am Adaware point of view, do install Microsofts own Antispyware program and set this to run automatically ovewrnight. Other programs are the ubiquitous Adaware ans Spybot. I also use Spyblaster and Adaware Away - The latter you have to pay for but it is essential if you get a real nastie that the others canot touch.