Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Its Hot Match day!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 12 Apr 2006 08:42

Woo hoo, Im on to Elizabeth Unknowns now.

Penelope

Penelope Report 12 Apr 2006 08:50

That's what made by computer go all strange earlier. But...I did have a match with the not so common name of Chiverall x

Heather

Heather Report 12 Apr 2006 08:51

Well Ive got 4 more pages of them to look at and delete no doubt so Im having a break rather than getting dvt.

Angela

Angela Report 12 Apr 2006 09:27

I think your quite lucky being on the unknowns. My hot matches are still stuck on the first few letters of the alphabet! I think I must have seen about a million Davies's by now!

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 12 Apr 2006 09:29

How does hot matches work? I only seem to have had one update since it started even though I have added around 50 people. Is there somewhere where I have to turn it on?! Confused Kimberley!

Penelope

Penelope Report 12 Apr 2006 09:29

Yeah, but to get to the 'Chivrall' I had to work my way through the William and Thomas Brown's, lol

Gail

Gail Report 12 Apr 2006 09:33

Hi all, I just wish people would reply when you send them a message via HOT MATCH. I find it so frustrating. Gail

Angela

Angela Report 12 Apr 2006 09:35

Kimberely It automatically gets sent to you in an e-mail. I've got a lot of people in my tree and a lot of common names such as 'Mary Davies' so I will get a lot more 'hot matches'

Merry

Merry Report 12 Apr 2006 09:41

I seem to have got to the end of the A's now!! No more Mary Allens...... Does EVERYONE have a George Bennett b 1847 on their tree?? Merry

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 12 Apr 2006 09:50

Thanks for the info... havent received any emails though :o( ^^ Hangs head in shame ^^ Should have checked to make sure I hadn't put no for emails!! It's going to be one of those days! Oh well only one more 'get up' before the long weekend begins!!

Heather

Heather Report 12 Apr 2006 10:22

To be more exact 'Unknown Elizabeth' - so I am still on E's. But it makes a change from Unknown Ann

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 12 Apr 2006 10:39

no new hot matches for me, then again I didn't want another 5 pages of William Lloyd's born in Wales anyway! mine was Warwick Linda x

Websterbfc

Websterbfc Report 12 Apr 2006 10:42

boohoo i have no new hot matches, lol

BrianW

BrianW Report 12 Apr 2006 11:05

I'm back up to ten pages of the things. Having only just finished going through the last lot! Have had some good matches in the past though.

Narelle

Narelle Report 12 Apr 2006 11:28

I havent had any hot matches and i usualy like to go through them most of them are Barker and Allan surnames occasionaly i get one that im interested in. Still waiting for hot matches.

Kate

Kate Report 12 Apr 2006 11:37

I managed to find a load of my Brown relatives on the censuses the other week and so finally had enough info on them to make it worth adding them to my tree. But of course that means that I am back to getting pages full of unconnected Browns on every Hot Matches run! Kate.

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 12 Apr 2006 12:00

hiya, it would be nice if Genes could refine the hot match service, I have had some 'hits' from it, which I have found most helpful. However, when you get 8 or 10 pages of stuff you dont need,and there is no way of deleting the hot matches you dont want, it becomes mundane trawling thro' the pages, come on genes sort it out!!! sorry folks, Moan over regards Julie

Doreen

Doreen Report 12 Apr 2006 12:11

excuse this relative new peep asking but if you have deleted ahot match by mistake can you retreve it , yes i clicked on one that was soooo promising deleted it and opps wrong one. Doreen

Heather

Heather Report 12 Apr 2006 12:21

Doreen, dont think you can retrieve, but all you have to do is enter the name in the tree search facility and you will find it again anyway.

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 12 Apr 2006 13:02

Doreen the hot matches stay around. You just click view ignored matches. I find if I keep the ones that are in my tree the new ones just add to that person. No new matches today. I am still on A-H. The trouble is I find a match with one of my Blacker's or Cavell's add the exra names and then next time they come back as hot matches. I have had a few good matches but several cranks as I genuinely have a George Bush and several Churchill's in my tree as far as I know no relation to the politicians.