Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Ancestor

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 2 May 2006 15:13

See below.

Karen

Karen Report 2 May 2006 15:17

I am hopelessly trying to find my ggg grandfather - Alfred John Cox, born c1876. I say hopeless because the only record i can find of him is his marriage to Mary Ann Miles in 1897. He was born in Hungerford, and died in Reading. No record appears to exist of him a few years either way of 1876. I understand that he died sometime around 1930, but cant find that either. Also cant find him on any census return. His father on his marriage certificate is Richard Cox, labourer. That is literally all I know about his side of my family. He was in WW1 from what I understand and was given compassionate leave towards the end as his son and wife died within a year of each other. Any ideas?

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 May 2006 15:35

Hi Karen, found this on IGI, middle name not the same but the rest similar -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ALFRED CHARLES COX Male -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: 10 FEB 1871 Hungerford, Berkshire, England Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: RICHARD COX Family Mother: EMMA -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type: C018804 1832 - 1875 1040522 Film 6900125 Film Sheet: 00 Gloria :-)))))

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 May 2006 15:37

Another with same parents IGI Individual Record FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0 British Isles Search Results | Download | Pedigree -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WILLIAM CHARLES COX Male -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: 06 JUN 1872 Hungerford, Berkshire, England Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: RICHARD COX Family Mother: EMMA Gloria :-))

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 May 2006 15:39

And an earlier one -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ANN MARIA COX Female -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: 31 JAN 1869 Hungerford, Berkshire, England Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: RICHARD COX Family Mother: EMMA Gloria :-)))))

Heather

Heather Report 2 May 2006 15:47

This is 1871 Record Edward Cox abt 1864 Hungerford, Berkshire, England Son Hungerford Berkshire View Record Emma Cox abt 1842 Hungerford, Berkshire, England Wife Hungerford Berkshire View Record Louisa Cox abt 1866 Hungerford, Berkshire, England Daughter Hungerford Berkshire View Record Matilda A Cox abt 1869 Hungerford, Berkshire, England Daughter Hungerford Berkshire View Record Richard Cox abt 1842 Beighton, Kent, England Head Hungerford Berkshire Heather

Heather

Heather Report 2 May 2006 15:57

1891 Record Edith Cox abt 1876 Hungerford, Berkshire, England Daughter Hungerford Berkshire View Record Edward A Cox abt 1865 Hungerford, Berkshire, England Son Hungerford Berkshire View Record Emma Cox abt 1842 Hungerford, Berkshire, England Head Hungerford Berkshire View Record William C Cox abt 1870 Hungerford, Berkshire, England Son Hungerford Berkshire Heather

Heather

Heather Report 2 May 2006 16:04

Are we looking at the right family?? I think I'm losing the plot, lol. Heather

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 May 2006 16:05

We don't seem to have found Alfred John Cox !!!!! Gloria :-))))

Karen

Karen Report 2 May 2006 16:08

Wow! I have a theory, but cant view the original documents from work, which is really helpful!! On 1901 census (RG13/1152/89/11) - there is a family Albert J Cox (1976 Hoe benham) with Gertrude as wife and Mary Ann as daughter - they did have a daughter called Gertrude - so wandering if mis-transcribed? Is hopeful as in-laws in the house are all Miles - Mary Anns maiden name. Damn the limitations of work computers!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 May 2006 16:15

It says he was a breadmaker, Wife --Gertrude M, Gloria :-)))))

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 2 May 2006 16:19

Sorry I did lose the plot!! Have deleted my postings as they were obviously not the right ones!! Sorry Marilyn

Heather

Heather Report 2 May 2006 16:23

Marilyn It wasn't your posting that confused me, ...it's just that I can't find Alfred! Heather

Heather

Heather Report 2 May 2006 16:25

There's a birth for Alfred Cox in Hungerford in 1873 on freebmd Heather

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 May 2006 16:25

Have looked for Arthur Miles on 1891 and he is with, amongst others, his sister Mary.!!!! Can we presume therefore, this is the same Mary who is down wrongly, as the daughter, and Gertrude is not the wife. Hope this makes some sort of sense. Gloria :-)))))

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 2 May 2006 16:27

Heather, neither can I . Elusive isnt he?? Marilyn

Karen

Karen Report 2 May 2006 16:29

Thanks ladies, I am getting really annoyed with this line - I have been trying to trace him for months, and gave up. But recently found 2 relatives on here for this line of my tree, and its spurred me on to be more determined about it, and find the man that refuses to show his face!!

Heather

Heather Report 2 May 2006 16:32

Who were the witnesses on the marriage cert, Karen? Will it help if we know, lol? Heather

Karen

Karen Report 2 May 2006 16:35

Off the tope of my head - a caroline whiting, and the other I cant remember. Didnt ring any bells with me. Will check for sure when I get home.

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 2 May 2006 16:58

Right I think this is him on 1891 living in Hoe Benham Eliza Cox age 54 widow George Cox son age 27 Ag Lab Frederick Cox son age 21 Ag Lab Alfred Cox son age 15 Ag Lab Edith Cox grandaughter Elizabeth Cox grandaughter Rose Cox granddaughter