Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help please!!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 5 May 2006 21:58

i am trying to research my family tree and i have got stuck!!! Maria Keeling abt 1880 alton, staff, married george keeling abt 1881 they lived in knaresborough in 1901. Then she met David Jowers abt 1881 they had a daughter florence 1910 but they did not marry till1933. i believe Maria father to be called George and david jowers parents to be called william Jowers and Rebecca Jowers nee Wheeler, but that is all i know. I would be very greatful if anyone can help. Thankyou!!

Heather

Heather Report 5 May 2006 22:03

Right, so you are descended from the second marriage and you are tracing that couple? Do you have their marriage certificate which would give both fathers names? As you say you 'believe' her father was George? What is her maiden name? I thought it was Keeling at first but see she married a Keeling.

Helen

Helen Report 5 May 2006 22:08

yes that is right david jowers is my great great grandad. it is my nan who is giving me the info from a marriage cert but info patchy! acc george keeling 1850 quarryman and by 1933 rebecca jowers nee wheeler deceased? date and not make out dob for william jowers but believe david jowers to have been born in tendering, essex.

Helen

Helen Report 5 May 2006 22:10

Rebecca thanks for reply Keeling was her maiden name then it changed to rathmell then jowers. thanks

Heather

Heather Report 5 May 2006 22:14

1891: Annie Jowers abt 1878 Tendring, Essex, England Daughter Tendring Essex Charles Jowers abt 1880 Tendring, Essex, England Son Tendring Essex David Jowers abt 1883 Tendring, Essex, England Son Tendring Essex Emily Jowers abt 1882 Tendring, Essex, England Daughter Tendring Essex Emma Jowers abt 1886 Tendring, Essex, England Daughter Tendring Essex George Jowers abt 1888 Tendring, Essex, England Son Tendring Essex Nellie Jowers abt 1885 Tendring, Essex, England Daughter Tendring Essex Rebecca Jowers abt 1854 Sudbury, Suffolk, England Wife Tendring Essex Walter Jowers abt 1890 Tendring, Essex, England Son Tendring Essex William Jowers abt 1854 Little Bentley, Essex, England Head Tendring Essex William Jowers abt 1877 Tendring, Essex, England Son Tendring Essex

Heather

Heather Report 5 May 2006 22:15

Sorry, Helen, must be the wine - are you saying that Maria was a Keeling and she married a Keeling? Could you put the 1901 info on here as I cant see a Maria Keeling born 1880 in the 1881. When you say they lived in Knaresborough,1901 do you mean as a married couple?

Helen

Helen Report 5 May 2006 22:20

no she was a keeling then married a rathmell then she married a jowers. thanks for help!! :-)

Heather

Heather Report 5 May 2006 22:26

Sorry, so Maria Keeling married George Rathmell, not George Keeling? And where do you think they married?

Heather

Heather Report 5 May 2006 22:29

This is them in 1901 - why did you think they were in Knaresborough? George Rathmell abt 1875 Fewston, Yorkshire, England Boarder Haverah Park Yorkshire Maria Rathmell abt 1881 North Staffs, Alton Boarder Haverah Park Yorkshire

Heather

Heather Report 5 May 2006 22:32

Right, now we have right names and year of birth!:1891 Dad is George and he is an alabaster miner Emma Keeling abt 1854 Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, England Wife Hanbury Staffordshire Emma Keeling abt 1890 Hanbury, Staffordshire, England Daughter Hanbury Staffordshire George Keeling abt 1851 Alton, Staffordshire, England Head Hanbury Staffordshire George E Keeling abt 1888 Hanbury, Staffordshire, England Son Hanbury Staffordshire Isaac Keeling abt 1885 Alton, Staffordshire, England Son Hanbury Staffordshire Maria Keeling abt 1882 Alton, Staffordshire, England Daughter Hanbury Staffordshire Sarah A Keeling abt 1877 Alton, Staffordshire, England Daughter Hanbury Staffordshire

Heather

Heather Report 5 May 2006 22:34

The Keelings in 1881: Record Emma Keeling abt 1855 Alton, Staffordshire, England Wife Alton Staffordshire View Record George Keeling abt 1850 Alton, Staffordshire, England Head Alton Staffordshire View Record George Keeling abt 1875 Alton, Staffordshire, England Son Alton Staffordshire View Record Lydia Keeling abt 1879 Alton, Staffordshire, England Alton Staffordshire View Record Sarah Ann Keeling abt 1877 Alton, Staffordshire, England Daughter Alton Staffordshire

Heather

Heather Report 5 May 2006 22:36

In 1871 George is working on a farm: George Keeling abt 1851 Alton, Staffordshire, England Servant Cheadle Staffordshire

Heather

Heather Report 5 May 2006 22:38

1861 - Now this is lucky, he is a 9 year old boy living with dad who is a nailer and mum AND you have got mother in law thrown in which gives you his mothers maiden name: Lucy Burton abt 1837 Alton, Staffordshire, England Sister-in-law Alton Staffordshire Maria Burton abt 1801 Bradley, Staffordshire, England Mother-in-law Alton Staffordshire George Keeling abt 1851 Alton, Staffordshire, England Son Alton Staffordshire Lydia Keeling abt 1860 Alton, Staffordshire, England Daughter Alton Staffordshire Olive Maria Keeling abt 1857 Alton, Staffordshire, England Daughter Alton Staffordshire Samuel Keeling abt 1824 Alton, Staffordshire, England Head Alton Staffordshire Samuel Keeling abt 1855 Alton, Staffordshire, England Son Alton Staffordshire Sarah Keeling abt 1831 Alton, Staffordshire, England Wife Alton Staffordshire

Helen

Helen Report 5 May 2006 22:41

i honestly dont know this is where the past is shady for us as we believe that george rathmell died down a well ?suicide. maria pregnant at time ? george's ?someone elses but my great great grandad david jowers took her on as his own she is called phyllis jowers born 1908. i have no idea where they married i have managed to find that george rathmell was born in Fewston, yorks abt 1880.

Helen

Helen Report 5 May 2006 22:43

Heather this is brilliant thanks so much. i have wrong dob's that was where i was going wrong thank you!!!!!!!!!

Heather

Heather Report 5 May 2006 22:51

Unfortunately freebmd does not have the marriage of Samuel Keeling and Sarah Burton (that was the mother in laws surname,so should be thewifes maiden name). To find the marriage reference, you should go to ancestry and check the free bmd index - not the name search freebmd as that is what Ive already checked. Say look for the most unusual name - Samuel Keeling about a year or two both sides of Georges birth. You can then use the reference to buy the certificate at GRO online for £7 and see Sarah and Samuels fathers names. Do you know how to buy a certificate?

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 5 May 2006 22:58

Here you go: Staffordshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1848 KEELING Samuel / BURTON Sarah / Alton, St Peter Staffordshire Moorlands / 1C/1/129 From http://www.bmsgh.org/staffsbmd

Heather

Heather Report 5 May 2006 22:58

Now the Jowers family: 1861 and here is George as a 5 year old with parents Joseph and Maria >>>George Jowers abt 1856 Lt Bentley, Essex, England Son Little Bentley Essex James Jowers abt 1859 Lt Bentley, Essex, England Son Little Bentley Essex Joseph Jowers abt 1829 Lt Bentley, Essex, England Head Little Bentley Essex Maria Jowers abt 1835 Lt Bromley, Essex, England Wife Little Bentley Essex

Helen

Helen Report 5 May 2006 23:01

no i not sure how to get one i am new to all this i only started tracing my ancestors so anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. i cant tell you how much i appreciate the help you have given my nan will be thrilled :-)

Heather

Heather Report 5 May 2006 23:02

Not sure whats happened here, seems some confusion over Georges year of birth. Im wondering if they have mixed him up with Joseph? (Joseph doesnt appear on previous census) 1871: Charles H Jowers abt 1867 Little Bentley, Essex, England Son Little Bentley Essex Ellen M Jowers abt 1870 Little Bentley, Essex, England Daughter Little Bentley Essex George Jowers abt 1865 Little Bentley, Essex, England Son Little Bentley Essex James Jowers abt 1859 Little Bentley, Essex, England Son Little Bentley Essex John Jowers abt 1862 Little Bentley, Essex, England Son Little Bentley Essex Joseph Jowers abt 1829 Little Bentley, Essex, England Head Little Bentley Essex Joseph Jowers abt 1855 Little Bentley, Essex, England Son Little Bentley Essex Maria Jowers abt 1835 Little Bromley, Essex, England Wife Little Bentley Essex