Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed elusive grandfather

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jayne

Jayne Report 25 May 2006 11:56

Hi i wonder if anyone can help me. I am looking for my husbands Grandfather on the 1901 Census but can't find him. He was born Leonard John Fry on 24th Oct 1899 in Portsea Hampshire. His parents were Walter George Fry and Margaret Ann Maria Fry nee Hillsden ( she died in 1900) I know he was born at that time i have his birth Cert. Living with the father on the 1901 census are his brothers Reginald and George and i think a sister call Dorothy, and his father has a new Wife Martha i think. (Can't find their marriage) Any help would be gratefully appreciated Jayne

Irene

Irene Report 25 May 2006 12:13

Marriage details are Sept 1889 at Battle Margaret Ann M Hillsdon/Walter George Fry. Irene

Thelma

Thelma Report 25 May 2006 12:14

This marriage could be yours, even though later. View Record Beatrice Mabel Collis 1908 Jan-Feb-Mar Portsmouth (1900 Onw) Hampshire View Record Walter George Fry 1908 Jan-Feb-Mar Portsmouth (1900 Onw) Hampshire View Record Martha Parsons Hillsdon 1908 Jan-Feb-Mar Portsmouth (1900 Onw) Hampshire View Record Charles William Osborne 1908 Jan-Feb-Mar Portsmouth (1900 Onw) Hampshire

Jayne

Jayne Report 25 May 2006 12:18

Thanks for the marriage info but still doen't answer the question where Leonard John was on the 1901 census????? This is driving me nuts....lol Looks like he married his dead wifes sister talk about keep it in the family.... Jayne

Thelma

Thelma Report 25 May 2006 12:25

Can i show this? Did you notice Martha's surname at marriage? and Janey's? 1901 View Record Georgie Fry abt 1894 Battle, Sussex, England Son Portsmouth Hampshire View Record Harold Fry abt 1900 Portsmouth, Hampshire, England Son Portsmouth Hampshire View Record Martha Fry abt 1877 Hoxton, London, England Wife Portsmouth Hampshire View Record Reggie Fry abt 1892 Cranbrook, Kent, England Son Portsmouth Hampshire View Record Walter G Fry abt 1865 Hurst Green, Sussex, England Head Portsmouth Hampshire View Record Janey Hellsdon abt 1871 Forest Gate, Essex, England Sister Portsmouth Hampshire

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 May 2006 12:31

I would suggest that they said Martha was married 'to be respectable' Could Harold be Leonard? There is little between ages.

Thelma

Thelma Report 25 May 2006 12:32

Who is Harold? Cannot find birth. Could he be Leonard? Maybe Martha gave the census info and got confused with her new? family.

Jayne

Jayne Report 25 May 2006 12:36

We think Harold is Leonards half brother Martha and Walters child not sure....I have Leonards birth Cert and he is deffinatly Leonard John Fry born 24th Oct 1899 in Portsea Portsmouth Hampshire I just can't find him on the census Jayne

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 May 2006 13:00

Jayne Do you know if Leonard kept his name? I have heard of people being recorded at birth with one name, being different on a census and reverting to original name at marriage. I have also heard of people being registered with one name and baptised soon afterwards with a completely different one. ...... They didn't make it easy for us sometimes. It would be worth trying to find a birth record for Harold and looking in parish records, -possibly St Mary's Church, Portsea to see if there are baptisms recorded for Leonard and / or Harold.

Jayne

Jayne Report 25 May 2006 13:09

yes Leonard kept his name we have his marriage to an Adelaide Annie Pockett. 2nd jan 1921. I just have the feeling he don't want us to find him

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 May 2006 13:25

If Leonard was born October 1899 and his mother died no earlier than June the following year ( going by Sept. Q.death register) then there was no time for a half sibling to be one year old by the census, - unless Martha was pregnant when 1st wife died. I still think parish records might help here..... or maybe school logs.

Jayne

Jayne Report 25 May 2006 13:32

I didn't think of that....bugger thats really wierd. Well looks like i will have to check out the parish records. Just a bit far from where i live any idea where the parish records would be kept for that area? Jayne

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 25 May 2006 13:45

hiya, have you found margarets parents on 1901?? is he living with them?? justa thought julie

Jayne

Jayne Report 25 May 2006 13:51

Nope can't find them on the 1901 census her father was John Parsons Hillsdon and Jane Ann Davies married 11th May 1868 Christ church Islington Middlesex

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 25 May 2006 13:56

hiya do you know when john was born?? and his wife?? julie

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 25 May 2006 14:02

this could be john and his family 1861 View Record Amelia M Hillsdon abt 1854 London St, London, England Daughter All Hallows Staining Middlesex View Record Ann Hillsdon abt 1818 Brill, Buckinghamshire, England Wife All Hallows Staining Middlesex View Record John Hillsdon abt 1812 Weston, Oxfordshire, England Head All Hallows Staining Middlesex >>> John P Hillsdon abt 1848 Islington, Middlesex, England Son All Hallows Staining Middlesex julie

Jayne

Jayne Report 25 May 2006 14:05

Could be them will have to check on the tree. Still not them in 1901. I really do think this family doesn't want to be found in 1901 perhaps they are hiding a secret...lolol

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 25 May 2006 14:12

1891 census View Record Dorathy May Fry abt 1889 Battle, Sussex, England Daughter Cranbrook Kent View Record Margaret Ann Maria Fry abt 1869 London, England Wife Cranbrook Kent View Record Reginald Walter Fry abt 1890 Cranbrook, Kent, England Son Cranbrook Kent View Record Walter George Fry abt 1864 Salehurst, Sussex, England Head Cranbrook Kent Jane Parsons Hillsdon abt 1872 London, England Sister Cranbrook Kent julie

Fiona

Fiona Report 25 May 2006 14:15

Is this John and Jane in 1881 with daughters Jane and Margaret?? 1881 Amelia Hilsden London, London, Middlesex, England Daughter St John Hackney London Catherine Hilsden abt 1873 London, London, Middlesex, England Daughter St John Hackney London Edwd. Hilsden abt 1879 London, London, Middlesex, England Son St John Hackney London Elizabeth Hilsden abt 1874 London, London, Middlesex, England Daughter St John Hackney London .............................>Jane Hilsden abt 1851 Wales Wife St John Hackney London ..............>Jane Hilsden abt 1871 London, London, Middlesex, England Daughter St John Hackney London ........................> John Hilsden abt 1848 London, London, Middlesex, England Head St John Hackney London ...............> Margaret Hilsden abt 1869 London, London, Middlesex, England Daughter St John Hackney London Ritchard Hilsden abt 1877 London, London, Middlesex, England Son St John Hackney London

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 25 May 2006 14:18

1871 View Record Jane Anne Hillsden abt 1851 Wales Wife All Hallows On The Wall London View Record Jane Parsons Hillsden abt 1870 London, England Daughter All Hallows On The Wall London View Record John Parsons Hillsden abt 1848 Islington, Middlesex, England Head All Hallows On The Wall London >>> Margret A M Hillsden abt 1869 London, England Daughter All Hallows On The Wall London julie