Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Liverpool parish records ?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 6 Jun 2006 20:30

Does anyone know of any site/s for Liverpool parish records please? Can't find any info in stored messages. Thanx Jen

The Ego

The Ego Report 6 Jun 2006 20:34

The main Library floor 4 - it has some incredible detailed records-too many to put online-remember this was a city that had 2000 pubs in the 1800's. The online parish clerk resources are growing but I cant envisage them covering the main area of liverpool,not before villages are done anyway. there are 60 or more Catholic churches with seperate records alone.

≈≈≈Jenny≈≈≈

≈≈≈Jenny≈≈≈ Report 6 Jun 2006 20:37

Was it a specific parish jen or just a general q? Jenx

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jun 2006 20:42

List (very long) of churches in Liverpool with links to other lists, www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Liverpool/#ChurchRecords Genuki has these archives: Liverpool Record Office City Libraries, William Brown Street, LIVERPOOL, Merseyside, L3 8EW Tel: 0151 233 5817 E-mail: [email protected] Local Studies and Family History Service. Merseyside Maritime Museum, Albert Dock, Liverpool, L3 4AA Phone 0151 207 0001 Fax 0151 478 4590 Sefton Libraries Links here to libraries with genealogical resources for Liverpool: www.familia.org.uk/services/england/sefton.html

The Ego

The Ego Report 6 Jun 2006 20:47

The biggest Catholic parish or source of inner city records was SFX -Saint Francis Xavier

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 6 Jun 2006 20:49

Alter and Helen, Very detailed info there and a lot to look into, thankyou so much. Jennifer, GG grandparents married at St Martins Liverpool in 1833.........I'm probably looking in wrong place as I wanted to discover her family, sibs and all...........but she came from Preston, so will have to look there too! Thanx all again, Jen

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 6 Jun 2006 20:50

Thanx again Alter, will make a note of that. Jen

The Ego

The Ego Report 6 Jun 2006 20:51

Preston-have a look at lancashire OPC site-just google-Lancashire online Parish Clerks.

Jeannie

Jeannie Report 6 Jun 2006 20:51

Just responding so I can keep this info - many thanks.

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 6 Jun 2006 20:52

Great Lesley, the more places to look the better. Jen

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 6 Jun 2006 20:54

All good, glad I asked now, lol Thanx again Alter.....you and Helen are such mines of info. Jen

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 6 Jun 2006 20:58

Thanx for that Lesley, A lot to get through here but, will enjoy looking, like you say, you nevefr know what little snippet you might turn up..........another brick in the wall lol Jen X

The Ego

The Ego Report 6 Jun 2006 21:04

Ive got the excuse that i live there and use the records office.LOL

The Ego

The Ego Report 6 Jun 2006 21:08

theyve got about 20 new microfiche readers -installed about a year ago-but there is going to be a big revamp of the whole place in the next 2 years anyway-millions being spent.

Eileen

Eileen Report 7 Jun 2006 19:22

hi alter, first time on here, did you say LIVERPOOL parish records are being put on somewhere?? trouble for me is i only know he was born in LIVERPOOL dont know which church he was baptised in believe Cof E grateful for info thanks EILEEN

The Ego

The Ego Report 7 Jun 2006 19:27

not to my knowledge-bits and pieces may well do ,as with every area....as the result of specific studies,but there is so much for liverpool you really need to use the records office floor 4 in the central library(listed earlier in the thread)......there are Gores directories,workhouse records,school records,confirmation records,all sorts,the parish church list is massive for both codes,and the indexing is quite intricate.......imagine 60catholic churches with up to 10 reels covering their records....thats a lot of cabinets.!!

Eileen

Eileen Report 7 Jun 2006 19:41

thanks ALTER, im afraid im too far away to visit , have been looking for cds or any information , but it all seems to go from 1837 but i need 1759 lol , oh well not to worry will be all the better when i finally find it , thanks for your time , i normally read the records site but thought id see what tips were here, im finding it more interesting , thank you best wishes EILEEN

The Ego

The Ego Report 7 Jun 2006 19:42

also try lancashire opc site

The Ego

The Ego Report 7 Jun 2006 19:47

SORRY SORRY SORRY lancashire opc site has loads- it includes areas like aigburth and allerton which are close to the city centre. west derby toxteth (hangs head in shame-should have known this-not keeping up)

The Ego

The Ego Report 7 Jun 2006 19:50

Lets test the site out-what part of liverpool are we looking at?