Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I need a bigger handbag

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 9 Jun 2006 22:49

I'm going to a family party tomorrow (cousin's Golden Wedding). There are family members jetting in from all over the globe - wonderful, lots of memories to dredge. I thought I would just quickly print off a little report from my family tree programme including the ancestors and offshoots related to the people who will be there. I can pop it in my handbag just in case anyone shows an interest (before they glaze over, that is). The report has come out at 50 pages! Do you think I ought to shut up - or just go for it and risk boring them all rigid! Tina

Karen

Karen Report 9 Jun 2006 22:52

Lol i would take it, you never know what info you might gleam from it, i printed mine off not realising it would do it all took me all day to put it altogether

Dea

Dea Report 9 Jun 2006 22:53

Take some 'sticky blue tack' thingy and find a BIG wall - put it up in order so that people can follow it and just WAIT for the results.!!! I am sure you will find MANY other 'addicts' amongst the crowd who will think it is FASCINATING !!! IF NOT - Blame it on me!! Dea x

Susan

Susan Report 9 Jun 2006 22:54

Hi tina Keep the report in your handbag, but bring into conversation you are doing the family tree, take a note book with you to jot down useful tip bits, and if anyone shows a real interest bring the report out. You might be suprised at how many people want to know but are unwilling to do the work. Good Luck Sue

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 9 Jun 2006 23:00

I'm with Dea - stick it to the walls! But take a notebook and list down the guests. That way you can take them to the tree in an orderly manner without fear of missing anyone. OC

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 9 Jun 2006 23:02

The party is going to be in a marquee. I don't know if blue tack works on canvas. Shall I take a stapler? Tina

Dea

Dea Report 9 Jun 2006 23:05

Blue tack DOES work on most marquee's - staplers DO NOT !! - 'coz you can't get to the other side within the range of the stapler!! The only other thing which will work is a 'back-up' of cellotape !! (On reflection - those little tacking pin thingies like you used to get in men's shirt collars in new shirts (If you are old enough to know what I mean). Go for it !! Dea x

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 9 Jun 2006 23:05

Make damn sure that you've done an index. Having just sent a 28 page report of one branch to the only family member who shows any interest, I've realised that she'd need a degree in family history to be able to understand it.

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 9 Jun 2006 23:09

Tina!! If in doubt take a small suitcase!!! Then if they are willing, you can also do a vist! If you are feeling artistic, you can draw the family tree across the sides. Failing that you are going to bore the pants off someone!! I find i am doing that with my sister, but not with my brother`s strangley enough!! Vanessa

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 9 Jun 2006 23:15

Superglue. And a pair of good scissors or a sharp craft knife to cut it free at the end of the day. (Funny thing, no-one I KNOW is interested in Family History and certainly not mine .....but as soon as I start, they immediately tell me their own family secrets, some of which are hair-raising in the extreme. I am starting to feel like some Mother Confessor. OC

Sarah

Sarah Report 9 Jun 2006 23:23

Hi Tina, Why don't you just check with your cousin if it's ok and then stick the whole thing on some backing board (an old TV box or something (or even a piece of hardboard someone may find for you in their garage) and display it in the marquee? Sign it on the bottom then if anyone is interested in what you're doing they can come & ask you. In the meanwhile you can saunter about, champers in hand, digging up lots of little nuggets of info.... It could be a real conversation opener (especially when far-flung family members don't necessarily know exactly how they're related to each other) Have a great evening anyway! Sarah :-)

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 9 Jun 2006 23:31

Tina, I'd put a contact number and/or email address somewhere noticeable on the tree so that anyone who's interested who can't locate you on the night can then contact you later. and ........................ have a really good time!! Snowdrops

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 9 Jun 2006 23:35

Hells teeth! What are you lot like! Stick it on an old TV box! Have you seen the size of 50 sheets of A4 sellotaped together? Even the box from one of those enormous wide screen jobs would not be big enough. I've got to drive 100 miles with this. How do I get it in the car? Pictures herself, 'Er, yes officer, I do realise it is an offence to drive when the windscreen is obscured by a huge piece of cardboard, but don't you realise - THIS IS IMPORTANT'. Maybe not. Anyway, I shall only be able to get at the women in the party since this is a lunch-time do and guess who is playing their first match at 2pm tomorrow? Where do you suppose all the men will be? Yep - you got it - back to the wide screen TV. Wish me luck! Tina

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 9 Jun 2006 23:41

In that case - paste it to the screen. OC

Karen

Karen Report 9 Jun 2006 23:43

Lol i was just about to say that. or you could stick it up inside the marquee see how far it would go round lol

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 9 Jun 2006 23:59

do what I do bore them silly !!!!!!

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 10 Jun 2006 02:14

I would try and display it. Then you could leave a large note pad handy so people could jot down information. You could also print up some little slips with your phone and email info so people could contact you later. And dont forget to ask if anyone wants to share their old family photos!

Sarah

Sarah Report 10 Jun 2006 09:06

LOL LOL LOL Tina Ok got the point - I can visualise you & your tree on the M25 (or wherever) with flying trains of paper streaming out of the windows, sunroof, boot etc....& you looking like a mad professor, hair on end, rushing to get there on time with a handbag stuffed with other notes!!! It would be good to display it tho' Hope the marquee can stand the weight of all these A4 sheets pinned to it! Have a great lunchtime! sarah :-)

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 10 Jun 2006 09:19

My goodness Sarah, are you clairvoyant? You paint a startlingly accurate picture of me! I have decided to be good and behave myself. Only half the party will be on my tree - the other half belong to cousin's husband (it being a Golden Wedding celebration, I suppose he has to be allowed a share in it somewhere). I'm still stuffing it all in my handbag though - don't want to be caught short not being able to remember when and where someone's great great great great great grandfather was born, do I? I might lose all my street cred. I shall also take the advice given and have a notepad and pen in my bag, And the family photo album (lots and lots of yet to be identified pictures) will be secreted in the boot of the car - you never know your luck! Am off now to try to lose 3 stone in an hour. I know the first thing that everyone will say to me. 'Oooooooh, you do look like your father'. Tina

Sarah

Sarah Report 10 Jun 2006 09:23

if the 3 stone thing works - tell me how please... Sarah :-)