Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What do I do next?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Philip

Philip Report 15 Jun 2006 09:46

Ok I got my membership to ancestry. Found the two families at the top of two branches in the census' This means's i've got dad's name and mums first name but not maiden name. Where do I go from here? This is the one i'm working on. Here is the census record from 1901 View Record Arthur Scully abt 1897 St Pancras, London, England Son St Pancras London View Record Elizabeth Scully abt 1864 Sheerness, Essex, England Wife St Pancras London View Record Fredk Scully abt 1900 St Pancras, London, England Son St Pancras London View Record Kathleen Scully abt 1893 Islington, London, England Daughter St Pancras London View Record Thos Scully abt 1862 Sanderstead, Durham, England Head St Pancras London View Record Thos Scully abt 1889 Lambeth, London, England Son St Pancras London View Record Willm Scully abt 1891 Islington, London, England Son St Pancras London After I filled my tree in with all the new goodies here I went to hunt down the parents. Knowing the fathers full name i put it into the BMD search with a rough ten year date range. It comes back at me with a list of first and lasts on page and the year and quater. One of the names on the page is Thomas Scully, 1800 4th quater. So how do I find out who he married? I'm stuck! Helen

Carter

Carter Report 15 Jun 2006 09:54

helen i hope you dont mind but i have opened up your message so that we can read it al little better. i know you are new so just to let you know that when you do your first message it comes out in a block but follow on replies open up so that they are better to read . love linda x x Ok I got my membership to ancestry. Found the two families at the top of two branches in the census' This means's i've got dad's name and mums first name but not maiden name. Where do I go from here? This is the one i'm working on. Here is the census record from 1901 View Record Arthur Scully abt 1897 St Pancras, London, England Son St Pancras London View Record Elizabeth Scully abt 1864 Sheerness, Essex, England Wife St Pancras London View Record Fredk Scully abt 1900 St Pancras, London, England Son St Pancras London View Record Kathleen Scully abt 1893 Islington, London, England Daughter St Pancras London View Record Thos Scully abt 1862 Sanderstead, Durham, England Head St Pancras London View Record Thos Scully abt 1889 Lambeth, London, England Son St Pancras London View Record Willm Scully abt 1891 Islington, London, England Son St Pancras London After I filled my tree in with all the new goodies here I went to hunt down the parents. Knowing the fathers full name i put it into the BMD search with a rough ten year date range. It comes back at me with a list of first and lasts on page and the year and quater. One of the names on the page is Thomas Scully, 1800 4th quater. So how do I find out who he married? I'm stuck! Helen

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2006 09:57

If you use the full GRO records on Ancestry, to find out who anyone married between 1837 and 1911, you have to buy the cert...........unless you get very lucky and there are in-laws with them on a census. If, however, you look at the freebmd extracts, you may find the same entry, which will probably have other names listed, so that you can cross-check with the previous census for the one whose first name tallies with the spouse.......... Reg

Carter

Carter Report 15 Jun 2006 09:57

helen i know that arthur scully was married to annie richards and on this 1901 census arthurs father is thomas scully b1862 so who is the thomas scully you say you found on bmd 1800 4th quarter ? love linda x x

Philip

Philip Report 15 Jun 2006 09:59

Ta Linda, I forget it does the block thing! Ok I found a record for Thomas Scully marrying in 1883 in Middlesbrough Co. Durham, Most likely my one cause that's were he was born. So i figure ok lets find the Elizabeths that were married in that district in the 4th quater of 1883.... Waaaaay too many for me to even hazard a guess! Is this where I have to rely on birth certs of the kids to get the mothers maiden name? Or is there another way?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2006 09:59

I suspect that 1800 is an error............ Reg

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 15 Jun 2006 10:01

hiya, i would begin by tracking census, back to the first born child, that will then possibly lead to other children, and or possible other marriage, when you have got this far then look for marriage around time of first child being born, This usually happens in the brides hometown, you can search ancestry's COMPLETE BMD index, NOT the partial ones, or freebmd, they arent complete. once you have a possible marriage and ref numbers which you will get on ancestry, you can then order marriage cert online from thr GRO, dont used any other site other than this, cert will only cost £7, others have paid upto £50 for a 7quid cert hope this helps Julie

Philip

Philip Report 15 Jun 2006 10:01

shoot typo, should have been 1880 marriage sorry it's 2 am here. anyways i've nixed that one hedging my bets on the thomas scully married in 1883

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2006 10:03

This looks a possibility for one of the children..the cert will provide mother's full name Name: Kathleen Scully Year of Registration: 1893 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar District: Pancras (1837-1901) County: London, Middlesex Volume: 1b Page: 176 Reg

ValT

ValT Report 15 Jun 2006 10:04

Hi this is the entry on familyrelatives. Allen Thomas Middlesbrough.9d 1118 Marriage 4 1883 Freer Christiana Middlesbrough.9d 1118 Marriage 4 1883 Scully Thomas Middlesbrough.9d 1118 Marriage 4 1883 Shean Hannah Middlesbrough.9d 1118 Marriage 4 1883 No Elizabeth, ummm. Val

Kate

Kate Report 15 Jun 2006 10:04

Philip, if I understand you correctly you are trying to find out Elizabeth's maiden name? The best thing to do is to get the birth certificate for one of Thomas and Elizabeth's children (your direct ancestor if possible, just in case Elizabeth is a second wife) and that will give you the mother's maiden name. Then you can look for the parents' marriage. Otherwise you may fall into the trap of finding a marriage which looks right but is actually wrong, and tracing the wrong people back for generations! Kate.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2006 10:05

I would suggest that the marriage would be more likely to have taken place in the bride's home area.............it's more plausible that the man would move in search of, or because of, employment........ Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2006 10:07

Incidentally, Thomas's birthplace was actually Sunderland.................just checked the image. Reg

Carter

Carter Report 15 Jun 2006 10:08

helen this is them in 1891 census View Record Elizabeth Scully abt 1865 Marylebone, London, England Wife Islington London View Record Thomas Scully abt 1863 Sunderland, Durham, England Head Islington London View Record Thomas Scully abt 1889 London, England Son Islington London View Record William Scully abt 1891 Islington, London, England Son Islington London

Philip

Philip Report 15 Jun 2006 10:09

Wow this is sheer detective work! Which is good cause it's in the blood... I found him on the 1881 census now living in Islington london and he was a police constable :) Elizabeth is also listed on the original as his wife so they were married by 1881. I've got her year and place of birth from the other census that might help me out.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2006 10:10

The family in 1891 Elizabeth Scully abt 1865 Marylebone, London, England Wife Islington London View Record Thomas Scully abt 1863 Sunderland, Durham, England Head Islington London View Record Thomas Scully abt 1889 London, England Son Islington London View Record William Scully abt 1891 Islington, London, England Son Islington London Thomas is a Police Constable in the Met. Reg

Philip

Philip Report 15 Jun 2006 10:11

yup linda that's what i found 1891 not 1881 duh! i need coffee!

ValT

ValT Report 15 Jun 2006 10:12

First child? Births Jun 1889 Scully Thomas Vincent Lambeth 1d 370

ValT

ValT Report 15 Jun 2006 10:14

In 1891 Elizabeth states birthplace as Marylebone, here is an entry for a marriage in 1888 in Marylebone. Duckett James Marylebone.1a 1109 Marriage Jun 1888 **Lloyd Elizabeth** Marylebone.1a 1109 Marriage Jun 1888 **Scully Thomas Henry** Marylebone.1a 1109 Marriage Jun 1888 Webster Priscilla Marylebone.1a 1109 Marriage Jun 1888 Val

Philip

Philip Report 15 Jun 2006 10:15

Val that's the one. So is it a general consensus that i order a cert from here? And what #'s is it that i need to order the right one?