Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth registration Problems

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 23 Jun 2006 21:24

See below,it's a bit of a story

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 23 Jun 2006 21:29

Agnes Alexander Lotus b 1909 I have her first marriage cert,showing her surname as Lotus and fathers details are left blank.(in fact a line across the boxes) Her second marriage cert shows her fathers details (not in the name of Lotus) When it became time for her second marriage there was a heck of a game trying to arrange things,because her birth had never been registered (apparently). When her death was registered in 2001 the registrar found her maiden name in about 30 seconds,but no-one knows how. I can't find any births in the name Lotus for a period close to 1909. Any ideas? Glen

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 23 Jun 2006 21:32

Also on the second cert (the 1949 original) the entries for fathers details and the signature of the witnesses appears to be in different ink (very grey compared to the black for the rest of the cert) Glen

Merry

Merry Report 23 Jun 2006 21:33

Why would they want to know about her birth at the second marriage?? You don't have to prove anything normally?? (well I didn't - married twice and divorced the first time) Normally, if someone dies and the informant doesn't know the maiden name then the box just has a line drawn through. All very odd?! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 23 Jun 2006 21:35

Could someone have doctored the cert you mention? You would have to buy a copy to find out....or if it was a church wedding try and see the PR's at the County RO. Merry

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 23 Jun 2006 21:38

My immediate thought is that her birth was registered as Alexander (surname). OC

Merry

Merry Report 23 Jun 2006 21:38

Have you seen the death cert? Does it have a place of birth? Merry

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 23 Jun 2006 21:39

I agree. This one is my adopted family (granny in this case) I know that for some reason grandad had to send to different places before they were allowed to marry. The story is granny was born in London,her mother was on the stage and unmarried when she fell pregnant.Granny was left with relatives never to see her mother again,it only came to light with the death of her first husband in 1943.I wondered if something to do with widows pension sparked it off,or the fact that granny started work soon after she was widowed. Glen

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Jun 2006 21:40

I thought the same as Olde Crone, but I haven't found a birth for an Agnes Alexander in 1909. Kath. x

Merry

Merry Report 23 Jun 2006 21:42

Could the man on her second marriage cert be a step father? Merry

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 23 Jun 2006 21:42

I haven't seen the death cert,my mum registered the death (it was back in 2001) but she was shocked to learn the maiden name as granny never mentioned it. The certs were found when mum cleared things after granny died.The certs,and a heap of family photos from her youth were all kept in a box,sealed with tape and a newspaper dated 1950,so i don't think they ever saw the light of day for over 50 years. Glen

Merry

Merry Report 23 Jun 2006 21:46

So, who told your mum granny's maiden name???? If it was the registrar, I can't see how he could possibly have done that (do you mean he told her it was Lotus)? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 23 Jun 2006 21:48

Did the registrar (or anyone) come up with a date of birth as well??! Do you know the date of birth (or supposed date) from the GRO death entry, or was it not Eng/Wales? Merry

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 23 Jun 2006 21:51

Sorry my typo, Agnes Alexandra Lotus. Birth allegedly 1909 [rumoured London] First marriage 1929 (age 20) [in Gainsborough,Lincs] Second marriage 1949 (age 40) [in Gainsborough] Father is named as James Walker,deceased,boiler makers labourer on the second cert. Death registered 2001 Gainsborough quotes est age as 83,but nothing seems to fit for a birth +/- 3 years. Glen

Merry

Merry Report 23 Jun 2006 21:51

Are you SURE the death reg isn't in the names Agnes AlexandRA .........??? (just that there is one that fits!) Merry

Merry

Merry Report 23 Jun 2006 21:52

LOL....we crossed! Back to loooking.............. Merry

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 23 Jun 2006 21:55

DOB was 8/2/1909,and yes when the death was registered it was the registrar who came up with the name Lotus.I was there at the time but didn't take a great deal of notice,but do remember the comments made by the registrar about it being a very unusual name. It does make me wonder what she looked at to come up with the name,especially as the certs didn't surface for a month or so afterwards. Glen

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 23 Jun 2006 21:55

This isnt making sense really - I cannot imagine what to-ing and fro-ing you would have to do at the time of a second marriage? You do not need anyone's permission to marry if you have been widowed, even if you are underage (I know she wasn't in this case). I have been married twice and only had to present my divorce papers - I did not need to prove my ID, or my age either. Is it possible the story has got a bit garbled and that Grandad could have been a divorce?(Sorry, no accent on my keyboard lol). Was it perhaps something to do with the loss of a widow's pension? Although a bit late to ask her to prove her identity! Puzzled olde crone

Merry

Merry Report 23 Jun 2006 21:57

What did the first husband do for a living? Was she a war widow? Merry

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 23 Jun 2006 22:08

First hubby was a carpenters labourer,died 1943 and never served in the forces,granny actually took over his job when he died. I'm giving up for tonight,sore eyes and a sore head. Thanks for the interest folks,see you all next time. Glen