Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I'm having a moan!!!!!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deb

Deb Report 24 Jun 2006 18:26

See below....

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 24 Jun 2006 18:28

Oh gawd, what have we done? toe tectors- check hard hat- check anti riot shield- check pepper spray - check right, tell us!

Deb

Deb Report 24 Jun 2006 18:29

I have been tracing a very unusual surname for a while now and have found out lots of info on this family (my family). I have spent quite a lot of money ordering certs and books etc..... Now my problem is this.....In recent months others on Genes have also started reasearching this family and they have every right to do so as they too are related to them but.....After giving one of them access to my tree they have copied it with lots of errors and then they have given people access to their tree who inturn has copied it with even more errors!!!! They have also copied other branches of my tree into theirs... and yes, you guessed it...lots more errors!!! I have also shared lots of other info with them and sent scanned copies of certs. And now the big MOAN I have been updating my tree and contacted the said people to see if they would share with me any information they have got from BMD certs......And you know what.....None of them have any....Not ONE! How can you trace your family history without buying any? Actually, I think I can answer that myself........ Copy someone else's tree and if that doesen't work.......Make it up!!!!! LOL Am I just expecting to much from others? Let me know what you think. Deb

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 24 Jun 2006 18:32

i think i would just console myself with the fact that i know what i have is right and that they are wrong.

Deb

Deb Report 24 Jun 2006 18:32

Jess It's not anyone on these boards i'm moaning about!!! Lol (well I don't think they come on here....if they do they will know it's them I'm talking about!!!! oops!! LOL) Deb

Heather

Heather Report 24 Jun 2006 18:37

I think you just have to forget about them and be pleased you are doing it the right way. I had one bloke on a hot match - I asked him what info he had - he gave me all the same stuff as I have on my website. Shame says I, youve come to a full stop with the ggpx4 like me - tell me who is your actual direct ancestor in this. He named a girl who, had he been right would have married at the age of 6 months. Told him that, and he said (LOL) 'Oh census ages are often out' Told him I had her birth cert - what was on her marriage cert. He didnt have one. So says I, had you bought her marriage cert you would know that you had the wrong Sarah because the father wouldnt be the one on my site. Oh says he, I dont want to spend any money on this - I have other hobbies to spend it on - this was a bit of interest for the kids to see their ancestry. I did point out that because he hadnt bought one cert the kids were being interested in my ancestry and not theirs. Can you believe it!

Deb

Deb Report 24 Jun 2006 18:50

Heather You have just reminded me of something else (oh no another moan) A while back I exchanged trees with another member who thought our trees shared a link.....After a lot of digging around I discovered that there was no link and informed her and gave her proof that there was no way our ancestors were related....Anyway, dispite the proof, which was concrete, she still copied my tree (not just the branch). I did have to laugh though when going through her tree, she had people dating back to the Holy Roman Empire!!!! Deb

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 24 Jun 2006 18:58

Hi Debbie, Symphasise totally, I had one guy who got in touch through a hot match and asked how I knew the maiden name of our joint gg grandmother, when I said that I had got birth and marriage certs too, to cross reference, he said 'Oh I am just getting the information from the census returns and BMD from Ancestry' I nearly fell off the stool!!! think like others have said, just be content that you have the right information, cant see the point in doing the tree if you are putting in people that might not be yours!! hey ho though it takes all sorts!! Fuzzy xx

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 24 Jun 2006 19:13

Moral of the story NEVER EVER open your tree to anyone. Ever. OC

*Starsailor *

*Starsailor * Report 24 Jun 2006 19:39

Well said Old Crone! I usually get alot of stick for saying that... Sara

Deb

Deb Report 24 Jun 2006 19:52

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!! I feel much better now! Deb

Loren

Loren Report 24 Jun 2006 20:05

Hi Debbie, why dont you just ask what infomation they have! i have been very lucky on the boards with help, now i have certificates and rellies who use the boards we take it turns to buy certificates and swap each cetificate and info.loren.

Deb

Deb Report 24 Jun 2006 20:13

Most of the info they have is from my tree.....When I asked them for info they had on certs I was told they haven't got any!! I am always willing to share certs I have with fellow reasearchers and I never rely on anyone elses hard earned cash to further my tree but some others obviously do..But I do have to say I have made some great contacts on here who do take care with the info they put in their tree and share!!!

*Starsailor *

*Starsailor * Report 24 Jun 2006 20:14

Loren, You are very lucky, it is nice when you can work together. But there are alot of name collectors out there who just copy your tree and pass it on to others who in turn pass it on to others and eventually you get a contact off some-one giving you your tree back... lol Sara

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 24 Jun 2006 20:25

I dont mind sharing - but so far that hasnt happened, its been all give (me) and all take (them). Not once has anyone said 'Thanks for the stuff, I see you havent found Joe Bloggs marriage, tell me where youve looked and I'll have a go' So my tree remains firmly shut and I dole out information bit by bit if I think there is a genuine connection. OC

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jun 2006 20:51

I think I must have been lucky. The hot matches I have had on mine and my husbands trees have all been genuine. but I have never opened my tree unless they have produced information which puts them firmly in the family. Ann glos

*Starsailor *

*Starsailor * Report 24 Jun 2006 21:18

But how firmly in the family do they have to be? The person that copied all mine was related by my great x 5 grandmother's sister. There is no written confimation she was actually her sister! Yet she copied it nether the less and passed it on to others... She even has her own web page and guess what? Its there too! My name is not mentioned in her source of Data and her website boasts all the research she has done! I think not! Then some time ago somone sent me their tree (not that I asked for it) and all my hard work was there! When I questioned them about parts of it, turns they had copied it from someone else. Guess Who? How bitter do I sound! Never mind you live and learn. Sara

*Starsailor *

*Starsailor * Report 24 Jun 2006 21:38

Oh and while we are on the subject of Moaning. Can I have a moan about the football...its on all the time! ARG - 1 MEX - 1 For anyone that cares.. 8 mins to go - Hurrah

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 24 Jun 2006 21:44

Just wondering................ I've had the same thing happen with Hot Matches. Had someone with 40 matches, all sides, hubbys, mine etc. Have never communicated with anyone with that GR name and she will not answer my emails. I can't see her tree but from the Hot Matches, she has copied mine as it has the same mistakes. A couple were deliberate to add to the Trying To Find board. When I asked another family member she had the same problem. Don't suppose it's the same person, just copying trees to sell at the markets on Sunday???

*Starsailor *

*Starsailor * Report 24 Jun 2006 21:54

Yes, it makes me angry every time I get my hot matches come through! Luckily my tree is split into 2 I have my dads side and my mon has her side - she is the only one with access to my tree now and thats the way it will stay. Cant believe 30 mins extra time now. Sara