Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth cert arrived today and its thrown me complea

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 28 Jun 2006 11:17

see below

Merry

Merry Report 28 Jun 2006 11:18

Stop it!.....I was just going out, but now I have to see what's happened!! Merry

Karen

Karen Report 28 Jun 2006 11:24

The birth cert was for an Ada jane p head, she was on the 1871 census with one of hubbys rellies, i sent off for it as i thought she was the child of sarah meredith who was sarah price before she married alfred. havent been able to find a marriage cert for an alfred meredith and sarah price but i found one for a sarah head and alfred meredith i found a marriage for a william head and sarah price, that why i sent for the cert as i thought ada was from a previous marriage. father of ada is a William Protheroe whos occ was a farmer and mother is a sarah head i am no better off now that i was before as i thought i had found a connection for sarahs daughter may whos death cert was registered in easington, county durham, where ada had moved to with her hubby and children on the 1901 census have no idea now what to do next, have tried looking for william protheroe and sarah head to give me some clues

Merry

Merry Report 28 Jun 2006 11:27

Ooooh Karen..... I remember this! Please could you post the family from the census (with the girl whose cert you just bought).....when I come back from the shops I'll be in a less stressed frame of mind to look at it!! (that's if no one else has sorted things out, that is!) See ya later! Merry

Thelma

Thelma Report 28 Jun 2006 11:41

There is no relationship mentioned,so Ada could be no relation at all. 1871 census View Record Caleb Brown abt 1849 Bham, Warwickshire, England Boarder Birmingham Warwickshire View Record Ada Head abt 1867 Redditch, Worcestershire, England Visitor Birmingham Warwickshire View Record Alfred Meredith abt 1845 Dewchurch, Warwickshire, England Head Birmingham Warwickshire View Record Ellen Meredith abt 1869 Hereford; Ledbury Daughter Birmingham Warwickshire View Record Sarah Meredith abt 1845 Frome, Warwickshire, England Wife Birmingham Warwickshire View Record Fany Price abt 1854 Hereford; Ledbury Boarder Birmingham Warwickshire

Karen

Karen Report 28 Jun 2006 11:54

Hi Merry, okies, thanks, you`ve helped me a lot on this family lol alfred meredith head 26 much dewchurch unemployed mason sarah meredith wife 26 castle froome hereford ellen meredith dau 2 ledbury hereford caleb brown boarder 22 birmingham unemployed clerk fanny price boarder 17 ledbury hereford shop woman >> Ada head visitor 4 redditch worcs ladywood birmingham RG10/3094 folio 36 page 22

Karen

Karen Report 28 Jun 2006 12:29

hi jim, doesnt look like she is now, but at the time when i couldnt find a marriage for alfred and sarah, and i still cant, but found one for a sarah price marrying a william head then after a sarah head marrying an alfred meredith i thought perhaps she was from the first marriage

Merry

Merry Report 28 Jun 2006 14:18

I've been back for an hour +++ and looking at this, but I can't do much with it! Problems and rhetorical questions: It seems one hell of a co-incidence to have a Price and a Head in the house in 1871 yet neither of them recorded as relatives (given what we believe about the marriage cert being Meredith/Head) Why are there two Sarah Price's on the 1861 census, both born in Castle Frome (three years age difference), but only one on the 1851 and only one birth reg and baptism showing (dau of Peter and Mary). As they are both servants, might they even be the same person who was just changing jobs? If they are two people, then which one is the dau of Peter and Mary Price? I wanted Peter Price to die and Mary Price to marry a Mr Head, so Sarah could change her surname to that of her stepdad, but Peter was still alive in 1881!) If your Sarah IS the dau of Peter Price, then Fanny (with her in 1871) isn't her sister, as Fanny's father is Samuel Price. Fanny did have a sister called Jane Price who was born in Castle Frome (abvt 1843). I am well aware that the name Sarah often gets paired with Jane (as that's my name!!) and so keep wondering if Sarah was known as Jane as a child? Even if she was, I know that Fanny and Jane's mother, Margaret Price, died with that name and had not sneaked in a late marriage to a Mr Head either!! So, most likely Sarah was the child of Peter and Mary.......which still doesn't explain the problems with the marriage cert. Who is William Protheroe? I cannot see one listed as a farmer in 1861 or 1871. Guess he was really an ag lab????!!!!! Between 1850ish and 1875 illegitimate births were SUPPOSED to be registered with no father's name, yet William Protheroe got round this somehow. They were def not married (he and Sarah Head) as this is why the birth reg is on the index as Protheroe as well as Head. I looked for a marriage between William Protheroe and Sarah Head after 1867, but couldn't see one. I have not been able to find Ada Head after 1871. (looked at all Ada's in 1871 born in Redditch for entries with mother Sarah - no joy!) - If Ada died, I can't find that either ;o(( I don't think Ada's birth cert will be a complete waste of time in the long run. I feel certain she will fit into the wider picture eventually. I don' t know what you should do now? It would be easy for me to say, get the marriage cert for Alfred Meredith, but it's not my money!!!! Maybe you could get it with a checking point of Alfred's father's name (Matthew Meredith), and so it would cost you only £3 if it's not your Alfred? Merry

Karen

Karen Report 28 Jun 2006 14:45

Hi Merry, Im at a loss to, theres no address on the cert only redditch in the where born colum and mothers residence funnily enough ive found ada on the 1891 1901 census cant find her on 1881 though 1891 ada j Edwards 23 wife redditch benjamin edwards 24 head pontypool beatrice m edwards dau griffithstown lena edwards dau RG12/4365 folio 126 page 9 1901 benjamin edwards pontypool ada jane edwards redditch warwickshire alice edwards dau beatrice edwards dau lena edwards dau william edwards son living at medomsley durham ( a few miles from where may s death was registered) RG13/4667 folio 85 page 17 marriage ada jane head benjamin edwards 1888 jan - mar qrt newport m Glamorgan, Gwent, Monmouthshire Volume: 11a Page: 192

Merry

Merry Report 28 Jun 2006 14:54

Have you got the marriage of Ada Head to Ben Edwards? (who is May?? You mentioned May's death) Merry

Karen

Karen Report 28 Jun 2006 16:20

Hi merry sorry had to pick kids up from school, she is alfred and sarah merediths daughter wife to the elusive hugh humphreys evans her death was registered in easington county durham 1904, i thought her and ada were step sisters, thats how i came to the conclusion why may was living in shotton colliery because ada lived close by. No i was thinking of getting adas marriage cert and seeing if she had alfred as her father or william, theres gotta be a conncetion somewhere but im darned if i can find it at the moment lol

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon)

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 28 Jun 2006 16:30

Is this Ada Jane Head in 1881? (I realise it doesn't help much - or maybe it does). Jane Meredith Age: 15 Estimated birth year: abt 1866 Relation: Servant Household: View other family members Family and neighbors: View neighbors Gender: Female Where Born: Redditch, Worcestershire, England Civil parish: Monmouth County/Island: Monmouthshire Country: Wales Street address: North Parade Terrace Education: View image Employment status: View image Occupation: General Serv Source information: RG11/5228 Registration district: Monmouth Sub registration district: Monmouth ED, institution, or vessel: 3 Folio: 43 Page: 3 (click to see others on page) GSU Number: 1342259 Angela

Patricia

Patricia Report 28 Jun 2006 17:17

Fanny Price did have a sister Sarah. She's with the family in Ledbury on 1851 census aged 6. Parents Samuel Price and Maragaret. Sarah born Castle Froome like older sister Jane.

Merry

Merry Report 28 Jun 2006 17:23

Oh!!!! That is soooo funny......I was soooo busy looking at Jane Price in 1851, I didn't even see Sarah at the bottom! So, that's two Sarah Prices to sort out!! One dau of Peter and the other dau of Samuel! Suppose she is more likely to be the dau of Samuel and sister of Fanny? Merry

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 28 Jun 2006 18:08

Hello again Does the P in Ada Jane P Head stand for Price or maybe Protheroe? My theory is Sarah Price married William Head. He dies & she has a fling with William Protheroe, resulting in Ada. Sarah then marries Alf Meredith (although why he doesn't describe Ada as stepdaughter in census I don't know! The same reason he didn't name Fanny Price as sister-in-law?) This would make Ada & May half-sisters, them both having Sarah Meredith late Head, formerley Price as their mother. (or has all this been said before?) Angela

Merry

Merry Report 28 Jun 2006 18:14

The only thing that doesn't fit is that when Sarah Head produced Ada she didn't mention any previous surname, like formerly Price (but maybe the registrar assumed as she was registering an illegitimate child, she must be a spinster?!) and also, when Sarah Meredith had her children she only mentioned she was ''formerly Price'' and no mention of being ''late Head'' as well. (but again it might just be an oversight?) Merry

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 28 Jun 2006 18:22

Yes, probably if she wasn't asked she didn't volunteer the info. btw - just had a look at the image for that Jane Meredith & looks like she's a servant with a family called Head! Angela

Merry

Merry Report 28 Jun 2006 18:28

I don't think I can take any more, Angela!!!!! Tee hee!! Flippin' names are driving me nuts! Merry

Patricia

Patricia Report 28 Jun 2006 18:28

Could William Head and William Protheroe be the same person? He might have been William Protheroe Head. And if Jane Merredith in Wales in 1881 is really Ada Head, she appears to be living with a family called Head. If they are relatives why would they list her as Merredith?

Merry

Merry Report 28 Jun 2006 18:35

You were right, the image does look like Head, but transcribed as Stead. However, when the head of house died, he was a Stead!! Name: John Endell Stead Birth Date: abt 1800 Year of Registration: 1893 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar Age at death: 93 District: Monmouth (1837-1939) County: Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire Volume: 11a Page: 24 Merry (I think I need a lie down!)