Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census on ebay

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 3 Jul 2006 22:07

I have recently noticed that people are offering a finding service for missing ancestors in the census records on ebay. Has anyone used these services, is it worth paying money for? I'm only asking because I have a gg grandfather I can't find on any census from 1871-1891 but found I have him in 1901.

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Jul 2006 22:09

Why should they be able to find it if you can't? You can always ask for look ups on this site free. Just provide details of who you are looking for, or give the 1901 info. nell

Heather

Heather Report 3 Jul 2006 22:09

NO! Dont pay, give the details on here and peeps will try to find him.

Mog

Mog Report 3 Jul 2006 22:11

Clare - before you even think of paying anyone, post the details here as there are lots of friendly people only too happy to help. Who are you looking for?

Mandy in Wiltshire

Mandy in Wiltshire Report 3 Jul 2006 22:11

NO! They're only offering Ancestry lookups (illegally in my opinion lol!) which anyone on here will do for you free. In fact, Ancestry is about £70 for a year's subscription so at the rate they're charging (99p-£1.25 per search), you're well in profit once you've looked up 70 census pages and nothing else! Mandy :)

Clare

Clare Report 3 Jul 2006 22:23

I am looking for Simon Boland born in 1866, his given name was Soloman. His father was also called Simon or Soloman and his mother was Margaret Darling or Garland. I have Simon juniors birth certificate which records his father as deceased, but I can't find any record of a death, and no mention on any census. Any ideas on where I can look?

Elaine

Elaine Report 3 Jul 2006 22:26

Could you confirm that this is the right family in 1901 John Boland abt 1900 Sunniside, Durham, England Son Lamesley Durham Julia Boland abt 1874 Sunniside, Durham, England Wife Lamesley Durham Peter Boland abt 1899 Sunniside, Durham, England Son Lamesley Durham Simon Boland abt 1867 Sunniside, Durham, England Head Lamesley Durham Simon Boland abt 1897 Sunniside, Durham, England Son Lamesley Durham

Heather

Heather Report 3 Jul 2006 22:27

Do we have a birth place for him? Can you give us the 1901 details?

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 3 Jul 2006 22:29

he married in gateshead , if that helps at all Simon Boland 1894 Oct-Nov-Dec Gateshead Co. Durham, Tyne And Wear Julia Lamb 1894 Oct-Nov-Dec Gateshead Co. Durham, Tyne And Wear

Clare

Clare Report 3 Jul 2006 22:30

Ooops sorry forgot to say where he came from! Yes Elaine your have the right family

Clare

Clare Report 3 Jul 2006 22:32

Thanks Jess, how do you find the info so quickly? I have his marriage certificate would love to find him on census records.

Heather

Heather Report 3 Jul 2006 22:34

So in 1867 dad was already dead - on the boys birth cert? So mum may have remarried?

Clare

Clare Report 3 Jul 2006 22:37

Birth certificate gives d.o.b as 17th December 1866, census date not accurate.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 Jul 2006 22:37

Name: Soloman Boland Year of Registration: 1866 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Gateshead County: Co. Durham, Tyne And Wear Volume: 10a Page: 685 Is this the birth details Maureen

Heather

Heather Report 3 Jul 2006 22:38

Clare, they had 6 weeks in which to register after a birth. Meanwhile is Chester le Street anywhere near? Wild shot: Marriages Sep 1868 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Boland Margaret Chester le S. 10a 465 Gallagher Michael Chester Le S. 10a 465 Grant John Chester le S. 10a 465

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 3 Jul 2006 22:39

why is his mothers maiden name one of two?? Simon had reverted to soloman by the time he died Name: Soloman Boland Birth Date: abt 1866 Year of Registration: 1939 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar Age at death: 73 District: Durham North Western County: Co. Durham Volume: 10a Page: 410 (

Clare

Clare Report 3 Jul 2006 22:39

That's Simon's birth. Chester le Street was the registration district, I'm wondering if she married so soon after her husband's death.

Heather

Heather Report 3 Jul 2006 22:40

Clare, so did you know his mother remarried? Which one of those two is her new husband? So assuming dad was there at conception (?) then we are looking for a death between March/April 1866-December 1866.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 Jul 2006 22:41

1891 he is listed as Simon Doolan Maureen NO IGNORE THIS

Clare

Clare Report 3 Jul 2006 22:44

I have given two surnames for Margaret because on the birth certificate it is recorded as Darling, when I looked for the marriage of Simon snr the name was Garland. Yes Heather looking for a death between those 2 dates.