Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Parishes of Glasgow - why can I not find one??

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 11 Jul 2006 12:01

Hopefully someone out there will be able to help me with this!! After a lengthy search I have just found out that my G G Grandfather was born in the Parish of Nelson in Glasgow c1831. I am from Glasgow myself and had never heard of this area so I thought I would look into it. I have done various internet searches etc. and can't find anything on this Parish. Also I can't find an actual record of his birth anywhere. I only found out where he was born from his military records. Does anyone have an idea where I could find out if this Parish actually existed as it is driving me isane!

Willow

Willow Report 11 Jul 2006 12:08

Sorry went to update my message and deleted it I have heard of Neilston, i think thats near Glasgow, they could have misheard him. I will have a google Looks to be only about 12 miles from Glasgow center.

Lynne

Lynne Report 11 Jul 2006 12:15

I was thinking it may be Neilston myself as it is the only one that is relatively similar! I'll look into that and see what I come up with. Thanks!

The Ego

The Ego Report 11 Jul 2006 12:31

CountryCode GB RepCode 1091 RefNo GB1091/PA Repository Archdiocese of Glasgow Archives Title Records of parishes now in the diocese of Paisley Date 1869-1947 Description Annual statistical returns for the following parishes: Barrhead: St John, 1869-1947; Bishopton: Our Lady of Lourdes, 1946-1947; Clarkston: St Joseph, 1880-1947; Gourock: St Ninian, 1896-1947; Greenock: St Laurence, 1869-1947; Greenock: St Mary, 1869-1947; Greenock: St Mungo, 1934-1947; Greenock: St Patrick, 1924-1947; Houston: St Fillan, 1869-1947; Johnstone: St Margaret, 1869-1947; Linwood: St Conval, 1889-1947;******* Neilston: St Thomas, 1869-1947; *******Paisley: St Charles, 1897-1947; Paisley: St Mary, 1876-1947; Paisley: St Mirin, 1869-1947; Port Glasgow: St John the Baptist, 1869-1947; Renfrew: St James, 1877-1947.. AccessStatus Open Its Neilston

The Ego

The Ego Report 11 Jul 2006 12:36

In addition its the only parish on IGI beginning with 'N' in Renfrewshire and SCAN (Scottish Archive Network which is massive).didnt have any items whatsover with Nelson and Glasgow as *co references or Nelson with the word parish.

The Ego

The Ego Report 11 Jul 2006 12:41

If you give me a name i'll check out Neilston records.

Lynne

Lynne Report 11 Jul 2006 12:57

Hi Ego! Thank you so much for that information! I think it definitely must be Neilston and the army has got it wrong! His name is John Whiteman and parents on his death certificate are listed as William and Flora Whiteman (maiden name McDonald). Going by his military records he was born circa 1831. If you could do a look up for me that would be fantastic, much appreciated!

Lynne

Lynne Report 11 Jul 2006 14:36

nudge

Willow

Willow Report 11 Jul 2006 14:38

No luck with Neilston?

Lynne

Lynne Report 11 Jul 2006 14:47

Not yet, although I think I must be on the right track. This part of my family seem to be very elusive indeed! I can't find a marriage for a William Whiteman and a Flora McDonald and I can't find a birth record for a John Whiteman. Oh well, such is life, I'll just keep searching!

Willow

Willow Report 11 Jul 2006 15:56

I will take a look for you if you like, brb

Lynne

Lynne Report 11 Jul 2006 16:07

That's fantastic if you would do that for me! Right, here's what info I do have. John Whiteman was a Farrier Major in the Army and was married in 1859 in Manchester to Emily Morgan. They had a son in Manchester in 1861 and then moved to Ireland where they had another 3 sons. Then came back to England and had another son in Hulme. On papers from Curragh Camp in Ireland it states that John Whiteman was born in the Parish of Nelson in Glasgow Lanark, but we know there is no parish called Nelson so could be Neilston. John died in 1915 at 84 years in Blackford Perth (he moved about a lot!) and on his death certificate his parents are stated as William Whiteman and Flora McDonald. Now I have searched for a marriage for them but come back with nothing. Also I can't find a trace of John's birth either! I did come up with an Alexander Whiteman born in Neilston in 1837 and parents are William Whiteman and Catherine McDonald, do you think there could be a link? I really appreciate your help!

Willow

Willow Report 11 Jul 2006 16:09

I cant find it either. There is only one result for John Whiteman with the soundex off for Birth/baptism on scotlandspeople and its not the right parents. and there are no flora mcdonalds and whiteman in the Register for Banns & Marriages. have you found him anywhere else?

Willow

Willow Report 11 Jul 2006 16:10

Could be, im gonna have another look I can see the Alexander one, but when i look for marriages there are no hits for mcdonald and whiteman??? and if i just search for marriages for Flora McDonald there isnt any sign of a William Whiteman in the results.

The Ego

The Ego Report 11 Jul 2006 16:19

I think you'll find that Catherine is Flora-too much of a coincidence.....exact same fathers name,and spouses surname,same parish and only 6 years later-Alexander is his younger brother in my opinion.

Willow

Willow Report 11 Jul 2006 16:22

What about the 1841 census, have you checked there yet??

The Ego

The Ego Report 11 Jul 2006 16:26

the fact that there are no other records to me just suggests they used a different church not covered,or that this was a passing through place.... AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHH!!!! Think ive found the problem.........try WIGHTMAN

Willow

Willow Report 11 Jul 2006 16:27

I think ego is right, just a pain cant find Johns birth. I have Alexs death and its definately Catherine nee McDonald. OK ill check that

Lynne

Lynne Report 11 Jul 2006 16:28

I haven't been able to check the census records as such as I have spent a fortune on Scotlands People this month on other things! Is there any way I can do this for free? Maybe I should do a search on FreeCEN. I know that Alexander could be his brother but I just find it strange that there is no record of the parents marriage! And as I know very little about them I'm just running around in circles! I didn't think Flora had anything to do with Catherine either but then maybe Flora was a middle name?

Willow

Willow Report 11 Jul 2006 16:30

Loads more results, but no birth for a john between 1825 - 1835, with these parents