Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

North Yorkshire County Records Office - Look Up

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 3 Aug 2006 21:32

See Below:

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 3 Aug 2006 21:32

I am going to Northallerton on Tuesday which is where the county records office is for North Yorkshire. I am happy to do a few look ups but it is limited to time I'm afraid so it will be on a first come first served basis. If you’d like to give me as much detail as possible both of what you know and what you’d like to know I will then add it to my list. I will check against my booklet that your parish is included in their holdings beforehand, so you wont be waiting expectantly and then be disappointed. There were a lot of boundary changes throughout time so it is possible that although you expect your parish to be included it wont be. For example, York and it’s immediate parishes are held at the Borthwick Institute in York even though it’s in North Yorkshire. Snowdrops

Maggie

Maggie Report 3 Aug 2006 22:27

Hi Snowdrops, Would you please be able to look for the birth parents of Elizabeth Hutchinson born 1794 Carpeby, She married Joseph Percival in Aysgarth 1815 and died 1840 in Scotland. I would imagine she was baptised at St Andrew Church Aysgarth. Thank you for your kind offer and I hope you have a successful day with your own research. best wishes Margaret

jump

jump Report 3 Aug 2006 22:44

I understand that there are plans to move the records at Northallerton to Harrogate, I would be interested to know when this will happen ?? John

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 3 Aug 2006 23:03

Margaret - Aysgarth is on the list so that should be easy enough to find (says she!!) John - There are plans to create a studies centre in Harrogate (and there is one of sorts already) but I do think this may only be the registers that are currently held in Harrogate registrars office (which holds records from far and wide) as opposed to the parish registers held in Northallerton - to be truthful I'm not sure of what they do have planned exactly, when the point was being mooted I wasn't in the lease bit interested in genealogy so didn't take too much notice - shame on me!!!. I would prefer it if you are correct as I live in Harrogate and it would suit me down to the ground. When we have our next FHS meeting I shall raise the point and see what the response is - but it's not until September now! Snowdrops

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 3 Aug 2006 23:06

Thanks for the offer, Snowdrops. That's very kind. I have this chap in my tree, and would like to have a copy of his Baptism record: Arthur BENNETT: b 1873-4 Masham, Yorks (per 1881 & 1891) I did find this record and wondered if it were his GRO registration: ?1874Q1 Ripon 9a/79 (I thought he should be in Bedale/Northallerton vol 9d) Parents are supposed to be George BENNETT, labourer, and Hannah (née BOOTH). In 1871, they seem to be in Lancashire. For the census, I have a definite sighting of George; plus the eldest child was born in Bolton in late 1871. By 1881 they're in Aston/Birmingham. If you can spot his Baptism record, that would be great. Best of all, I should like a copy of the Register page, but a transcription would be encouraging. There's quite a chance that it would be a non-conformist Baptism: Congregational, perhaps. I shall quite understand if it isn't possible! Apart from anything else, he's not in the direct line, so isn't part of the Ancestral Chart, which is supposed to be my project! thanks Christine

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 3 Aug 2006 23:12

Christine Masham is listed so that will be looked at (as are Ripon, Bedale and Northallerton) so I shall set my little pixie helper onto all those registers and hopefully something will turn up for you! Snowdrops

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 3 Aug 2006 23:36

Hi Snowdrop, IF you have time, would love any additional details for the marriage of Elizabeth Abel & Thomas Eglin .............Well 19 Feb 1828 Enjoy your trip and happy hunting! Jay

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 3 Aug 2006 23:43

Thank you for the positive response, Snowdrops, but please don't hunt for it if it proves at all tricky. It's really not a priority - but it does bug me enough that I noticed your thread and looked up the info to ask for it! ;-) enjoy your visit! Christine

Georgia

Georgia Report 4 Aug 2006 02:18

Snowdrops, Thank you for your kind offer. I am looking for the Baptism record of Rachel PURVIS born about 1810 in Whitby, and also her marriage to John Fletcher, again in Whitby, on 11 April 1834. I would like to know who her parents are. The marriage record is on the IGI, as an extracted record. There is nothing on the IGI re her birth. My husband was visiting Whitby a few weeks ago, but the library's records section is currently closed for renovation so he wasn't able to dig around for me. many thanks, Lesley

jump

jump Report 4 Aug 2006 03:09

Hi Snowdrops, I got the impression that Northallerton was to close and that all the records were to move to Harrogate. I think there was something about an extension being built at the side of the Harrogate Library. I can't be certain of the plans so please don't quote me but it would be interesting to find out what is going to happen. John

K

K Report 4 Aug 2006 06:20

Snowdrops If you still have time I would be ever so grateful of a look up for the baptism of Jane Pease born in Danby Wiske in 1810. She was my gggrandmother and later married in Notts so this would be her only record in North Yorks. There is nothing on the IGI on her birth Many thanks for your time Kay

Vicky

Vicky Report 4 Aug 2006 08:45

Many thanks for the kind offer. If you have time, please can you look for the marriage of WILLIAM HAWKIN and MARGARET POUNDER according to the IGI its 8 October 1821, Marrick, which is Swaledale, near Grinton. Would love to know witnesses names and whether she is 'of this parish'

Jools

Jools Report 4 Aug 2006 09:12

Snowdrops - I've pm'd Lesley as I've found the PURVIS marriage on whitby PR's but no baptism in the timsescale. Jools

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 4 Aug 2006 10:36

Morning Everyone. Janet - yes yours is on the list Lesley - would you still like me to look? John - duh how thick can I be? Why wait till September, I can ask when I go on Tuesday - I shall let you know, I really, really do hope you're right, you've got me quite excited to think of all those resources on my own doorstep - thought I was lucky living close enough (about 45 minutes) to do regularish trips but half a mile away would be fantastic!!!!! Kay - yes yours is on the list Vicky - yes yours is on the list Snowdrops

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 4 Aug 2006 12:04

Thankyou Snowdrop, that is very kind of you. I also wait to hear about the possibilty of NYRO moving??? Wonder if, like E Yorks, they have received lottery funding for a new building. Downside is finding somewhere to park - government policy NOT to have car parking facilities incorporated into planning for new public buildings! (Think they are out of touch with those of us who don't have chauffeur driven limos.) Jay

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 4 Aug 2006 12:10

Janet are you telling me you've got a chauffeur driven limo - you lucky thing you, thought it woz only uz that lived 'ere in 'arrogate that 'ad 'em!!!

Cath.

Cath. Report 4 Aug 2006 14:58

Hi 'Snowdrops', If I'm not too late please can you find any thing about Mary Shutt who I believe was borb/bapt. in Ripon c1806/7 also if you have time please can you find out any details of her marriage to John Paley c1831 also in Ripon. If you can help I will be very grateful, if you can't, I will fully understand but still be grateful for the offer. Regards, Cath.

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 4 Aug 2006 15:17

Hi Cath - yes Mary's on the list now.

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 7 Aug 2006 21:11

Hello Everyone Just to let you all know my trip is being delayed by one day. This means I shall now be going on Wednesday 9th August and I shall report back to you that evening. Didn't want you all to wait with bated breath tomorrow and be disappointed - sorry you have to wait the extra day. Snowdrops