Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can someone help me order a birth certificate.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samuel

Samuel Report 9 Aug 2006 19:11

Hi, I don't have a credit card and want to order a certificate by post how do I even start? I don't know anything. Sam

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Aug 2006 19:13

You can order online using a debit card. But if not, simplest way is to send a cheque to the relevant local records office. List of records offices here: www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/RegOffice/

Dea

Dea Report 9 Aug 2006 19:14

Do you have the birth reference? If not, where did it take place and when, and who? Dea x

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 9 Aug 2006 19:15

Hi As said above,you can order from the office local to the birth (or marriage/death) and pay by cheque The certs cost the same as the GRO and are often as quick if not quicker than those from the GRO. Where do you think the birth was registered? Glen

Samuel

Samuel Report 9 Aug 2006 19:17

is the birth reference this: Name: John Henry Beeby Year of Registration: 1903 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep District: Nottingham County: Nottinghamshire Volume: 7b Page: 378

RStar

RStar Report 9 Aug 2006 19:17

Always get the volume and page no, plus quarter and district reg'd. You can find this for free on Ancestry. The cert then will cost £7. If you dont have this info, its £11.

RStar

RStar Report 9 Aug 2006 19:18

Can someone give him the ONS website address? I havent got it to hand.

Samuel

Samuel Report 9 Aug 2006 19:20

hi how do I order it then for £7.00? Sam(thanks for being patient)

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 9 Aug 2006 19:20

The link via ancestry is to the GRO is it not.An online order payable with a credit card? The local office doesn't need the GRO ref,just an approximate date of birth (ie the quarter of registration) Glen

RStar

RStar Report 9 Aug 2006 19:24

He hasnt got a credit card Glen. You already have the reference Sam, as you put it in your post. When you find the entry on Ancestry, you'll see 'order cert' on the right side, with a little shopping trolley. Click on that and follow instructions. Or ONS give step by step instructions, remember to give as many details as you possibly can. A lot of us here use ONS direct.

Samuel

Samuel Report 9 Aug 2006 19:25

Do you send a letter to the office giving them details and a cheque for £7.00 and they will post it to you? Sam

Samuel

Samuel Report 9 Aug 2006 19:27

Also I have looked at the grow and it says it is £10.00 for a cert.? Sam

RStar

RStar Report 9 Aug 2006 19:28

It'll take longer, but you can if you want. If you order online it'll hopefully be with you within 8 days (at the min). Its poss to order over the phone I think.

Samuel

Samuel Report 9 Aug 2006 19:29

what is ons ? Sam

RStar

RStar Report 9 Aug 2006 19:29

Its not £10 for a cert. its 7, if you give them the info you gave us. Beware, there are a lot of rip-off sites around! The ONS site has 'gro.gov' in its address. Cant remember rest. ONS is the official government site.

Samuel

Samuel Report 9 Aug 2006 19:30

Have I got the rigth website :http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ because it says it will cost ten pounds and take 15 working days? Sam

RStar

RStar Report 9 Aug 2006 19:31

Or you can use the link on Ancestry, as has been previously said.

Samuel

Samuel Report 9 Aug 2006 19:31

Standard : Despatched on the 15th working day from receipt of order. Cost: £10.00 per certificate. from website

RStar

RStar Report 9 Aug 2006 19:33

I order most weeks, and the set fee is £7, unless you dont have enough info (you do) then its 11. It shouldnt take 15 days at min, plus you dont get the delivery date til youve paid. If its an overseas cert maybe thatd be different - Ive never ordered one so don't know. But that address looks familiar, except the end bit.

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 9 Aug 2006 19:42

hiya sam, as you have the Full ref and GRO number for the birth it will only cost £7, if you dont know these ref's it will be more, the refs are the Volume number, and Page number, when you fill in the online order it will ask if GRO refs are known, if you check box, then put in said details, it will only cost you £7 I hope this helps Julie